Oh lord. Another one that will poison the well for whoever might have wanted to do it right. I'll lay you $50 right now that their wing shares the same incorrect sweep angle as the RM kit.

Awesome! They're splitting front and rear so they can use a smaller box and guarantee that you will have to fill and sand the fuselage in preparation for a polished metal finish! While you're at it - why not open some panels on the nose just to make it a bit more difficult to have a smooth, level finish and a full engine with etched compressor blades just to bump the price up a bit?

If I was less cynical, then I might argue that this breakdown allows a potential F-86K by making a new forward fuselage with longer chord wingroots and of course longer span wings...

Jens

I'm starting to think that the way Kittyhawk makes money is from the negative press they get. Think about it, You have three groups of people that buy their kits.

1. The people that don't care or know about the shape and fit issues.

2. The people that have skills and wants to build the impossible kit

3. So people will buy the kit just to see how bad it is.

Either way, as long as the kits are sold and out of the company hands,what do they care?

But to be fair, I knw that they are trying to do better and I hope that they do improve.

Edited by Vince Maddux

I would amend that list to.

1 People who cant build kits and just want to make a name ripping into a manufacturer and showing us how bad there skills are with examples of poor construction..zero thinking and claiming the kits cant be built when not only can they numerous people have done so and well at that.

2 People who are seriously interested in getting an accurate kit but have never built anything other than Tamiya and expect every kit to be Tamiya standard.

3 People who enjoy modeling for what it is and dont expect perfection nor demand it and can build kits and are enjoying the new aircraft never tooled before.

I think Kittyhawk really attracts lots of 1's and 2's but the guys in bracket 3 have made some lovely looking models from them.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/12/as-present-gary-gifts-us-early-gallery.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zILBN5b4tc8/UxV2nyysZ2I/AAAAAAAA0PI/6LwGAZk199g/s1600/k.jpg

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=276566&st=80

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal13/12801-12900/gal12880-Jaguar-Spreckley/00.shtm

But to be fair, I knw that they are trying to do better and I hope that they do improve.

They do improve but I'm not sure that they thought about hiring CAD checkers for the F-86D.

• 1 month later...

Nothing like damnation without evidence. The Bronco kit seems to be much better than the early ones, and they have delayed the later Cougars to tweak the tooling and make it correct. Are we assuming now that they'll backstep and not continue improving their kits?

Maybe no sprues have hit the air yet BUT if those cad drawings are actually what's going to be cut, to my untrained eye the intake looks waaay too squatty, closed and flat across the bottom comparing to photos of the real thing. I'm sure they could fix that with a little tweak. Also, it's hard to say for sure from the angles posed here, but the nose MIGHT be a little short? That or the intake might be a tad to far forward? Again, hard to say from the angles but worth checking out.

Bill

Edited by niart17

If the wing sweep is a couple of degrees off, I won't complain. Now if they made it a straight wing and a two seater and called a F-86D, then I might have a issue

Why would they not want to get it right? Mediocrity begets mediocrity. When you sit a RM F-86D next to a Hasegawa or Academy F-86F the difference is noticeable.

Are you glad your surgeon doesn't practice "close enough for jazz"?

If the wing sweep is a couple of degrees off, I won't complain. Now if they made it a straight wing and a two seater and called a F-86D, then I might have a issue

Why would they not want to get it right? Mediocrity begets mediocrity. When you sit a RM F-86D next to a Hasegawa or Academy F-86F the difference is noticeable.

Comparing having surgery to model building is not the greatest analogy. I would expect higher standards from one then the other. But before I get called out on, when I draw I put 100% into it to make sure I put out the best work I possible can. I understand wanting the best for your money. And its your right to not buy it if you don't feel it meets your standards and you have the right to voice your option. I meant to be funny in my comment nothing more. I do not wish to get into a fight nitpicking over details. Now if they did the mighty Tweet and messed up,I'll be on my soap box! :soapbox:

I agree with looking over the CADs and pointing out corrections to be made. My comment was made in regard to folks on here starting with the hand-wringing rather than offering informed observations. Happens every time.