Dallas Hobby Shops

Hey Folks,

I am going to Dallas to visit family for a week and wanted to drop by some big city hobby shops. Any suggestions? My brother promised to drive me around and I have clearance from my Secretary of the Treasury to spend some of my fun money. New styrene is so soothing.

Thanks for any input.

Harry

Lutz, FL

Edited by STEN8

I use the local Hobbytown here (Plano area) and its one of the better ones I've seen. Decent selection and a fairly large tool/supplies section. Squadron is here too but you can't even pick up an order there which hacks me off so they're pretty useless. I think there is a decent one in the Arlington area but I'm not sure? Past that I don't really know of any, but its a BIG city and its hard to know whats out of my local area. I'm sure others can provide info.

This will give you a good run down of the active shops:

DFW Hobby Shops

MAL is a neat interesting little shop.

Wild Bill's is a neat place. Never know what you'll find there.

As previously stated, Arlington Hobbytown has a good plastic selection. The Hobbytown in downtown Dallas (75 and Mockingbird I think) is pretty good as well for plastic.

The Hobbytown in south Arlington (Cooper & I-20) is pretty well stocked too.

Ditto that call. They have a good broad-spectrum stock. Also reselling old kits, so there's the prospector's hope of finding a rarity.

Wild Bills is highly recommended. Prices can be a bit 'ouch' but they have tons of stuff you don't see elsewhere.

If they chose to go web/mail-order, they could give RPD some serious heartburn...

If you're a car modeler, you must go....their 1/24th stock is like that wall of Persian corpses in 300 - you just hope nobody the next aisle over starts pushing. :woot.gif:

Edited by RotorheadTX

There was a place called MAL Hobbies in Irving. Interesting place. The owners name was Junior. Don't know if it is still there anymore. Was in Dallas last year and saw him at the local show so you may be in luck

There was a place called MAL Hobbies in Irving. Interesting place. The owners name was Junior. Don't know if it is still there anymore. Was in Dallas last year and saw him at the local show so you may be in luck

MAL is due north of Wild Bills, just south of the railroad tracks. If no one is behind the counter at MAL it's because they are out back watching the trains go by.

Was just in Wild Bill's last Tuesday. One word: GO! As close to an old fashioned brick and mortar hobby only shop as you can find.

MAL Model Aviation Labs was founded by Mr. Ed Seay SR. in the 60's as his fourth career in aviation. He bought all the balsa that Vought bought to build the still born F5U There was still 2000 square feet of the stuff back in the 90's. Mr. Seay could cut balsa wood, table saw blades he made himself, so thin that you could read through it. He was still active in the shop till he died at age 99. Junior is his son. Ask to see the museum.

Well Folks,

Back from Dallas and a visit to a great Hobby Town in Plano, which was as far from Prosper as I was able to get except for the ride to and from DFW. Thanks so much for all the input, and since I will be returning soon I will venture farther abroad to Wild Bill's and MAL.

In regards to comments on Dallas and its' size - Big doesn't begin to cover what I saw. Simply incredible. And some of the very best local beers I have ever tasted. Great trip and thanks again!

Harry

Lutz, FL

Super Hobby Town, blew some money and marveled at the selection compared to Tampa's. I can't wait to head back.

And as for the beer - every single convenience store had a far, far better selection of fantastic beers then any grocery store in the entire state of Florida!! The local liquor distributorship laws here defy rational explanation. So here's to Alaska Ale, and Shiner White Wing, and Lakewood Brewing and Real Ale Brewing Company. :worship:/>/>/>/>

Yippee-kai-a! (Spelling?)

Harry

Lutz, FL