Something new for Tomcat fans

Fujimi's Gentlemen's Scale KA-6D comes with VA-35 markings.

I should have said I wanted aftermarket decals. Also I already have the Fujimi A-6E and it would be a waste to get the KA-6D just for lousy Fujimi decals.

It is strange though, I suggested to one of the Decal manufacturers that is on ARC regularly to make some of his sets in 1/72 and he responded something to the effect that he "could NEVER take a risk like that". So I decided I must have just chosen the wrong scale, but I can not fit most 1/48 modern jets in the china hutch I purchased to display my model collection (F-16s BARELY fit). Oh well... maybe things will change.

As mentioned, the other squadrons are the dis-established squadrons that VF-101 did commemorative tails for. VF-1, VF-24, VF-51, VF-74, VF-111, VF-114 and VF-142 are the ones that we were able to work into the space. VF-21, VF-33 didn't make it. Each of these had 1, 2 or 3 airframes painted up and in some cases several variations. VF-101 switched from small AD outside tail to large AD inside rudder during this timeframe. I've documented at least 3 variations of the VF-1 jet. VF-33 had 3 different jets painted up, all different and so it goes. We picked what we thought were the best versions and best documented jets in some cases.

If I'm correct, the sheet allows you to build 3 out of 22 options...

profiles to follow.

thanks,

brian

Did they not do one for VF-84? Maybe cuz the Jolly Rogers lived on in -103?

I should have said I wanted aftermarket decals. Also I already have the Fujimi A-6E and it would be a waste to get the KA-6D just for lousy Fujimi decals.

It is strange though, I suggested to one of the Decal manufacturers that is on ARC regularly to make some of his sets in 1/72 and he responded something to the effect that he "could NEVER take a risk like that". So I decided I must have just chosen the wrong scale, but I can not fit most 1/48 modern jets in the china hutch I purchased to display my model collection (F-16s BARELY fit). Oh well... maybe things will change.

You might live in the wrong neck of the woods - most US decal manufacturers do seem to strongly favor 1/48th, while most European brands show a corresponding preference for 1/72nd.

Cheers,

Andre

Daniel B, there was a VF-84 Jet but I don't think it looked any different than their retirement markings. The only thing that changed was the modex number ("143" I think?), I don't recall if they ever put AD on the tail or not. The jet kept Dale Snodgrass' name on it.

Edited by Skull Leader

Sorry, I don't even address 1/72 comments anymore. There are no plans to do it. Nothing personal to 1/72 modelers but I'm not interested in pursuing that scale. I would be more than happy to, and will help make it work if someone wants to buy the art and release it themselves.

-brian

Sorry, I don't even address 1/72 comments anymore. There are no plans to do it. Nothing personal to 1/72 modelers but I'm not interested in pursuing that scale. I would be more than happy to, and will help make it work if someone wants to buy the art and release it themselves.

-brian

"Confrontational post" edited. Sorry,it was meant to show frustration and a little irritation at so many 1/72 posters being dismissed.

Edited by Alleycat

See what I mean? Maybe somebody else wants our money enough to do these schemes in 1/72.

"Something new for Tomcat fans" is misleading. Could someone change the name of this thread to "Something new for 1/48 Tomcat fans"?

Also, does anyone know how to filter out individual posters so we don't wast anymore of Brian's time replying or making suggestions to someone who "don't even address 1/72 comments anymore"?

Thanks

Don't take it personally, Alley. If you know FTD well enough you would know that Brian is a 1/48 guy so his interests pertain to that scale only for the most part. I think his response was very reasonable in that he is even willing to sell the artwork so that someone could reproduce this and other sheets in your preferred scale. Perhaps you can convince someone to take on his offer and get these out in 1/72? Have you considered, perhaps, building a couple of 1/48 jets so that you can at least show off these markings? No disrespect intended with that last question but I've done some 1/72 subjects when I could not find them in my preferred scale (1/48).

Cheers,

Rob

See what I mean? Maybe somebody else wants our money enough to do these schemes in 1/72.

"Something new for Tomcat fans" is misleading. Could someone change the name of this thread to "Something new for 1/48 Tomcat fans"?

Also, does anyone know how to filter out individual posters so we don't wast anymore of Brian's time replying or making suggestions to someone who "don't even address 1/72 comments anymore"?

Thanks

That's a very confrontational post Mr Alleycat. Brian has done more for Tomcat decals than any other IMHO. I can understand your frustration at the lack of options for 1/72 F-14's - one of the reasons I moved to 1/48 was the sheer amount of options to most aircraft in 1/48. Maybe try a 1/48 F-14 with Fightertown decals to have all that well researched detail on show?

It is something new for Tomcat fans, I and a whole carrier full of others are really excited about this release.

I'm sorry if my post came across as harsh or insensitive. It wasn't meant that way at all. I was just being direct. I get a regular set of postings on all new releases asking for and lamenting 1/72. I get a regular set of emails asking for it, demanding it, telling me how I'm ruining the hobby and people's joy by not doing 1/72. How there's absolutely piles of cash to be made by doing 1/72, etc. After a few years, I had to stop engaging. I wish I could do 1/72. I wish I could justify the costs. I wish doing any decals actually made money. Please understand, I do love that people care. I love that what we do is wanted by people in this or any scale. The fact that people like Fightertown Decals is pretty much the only reason we've done what we've done.

At this point, we do 1/48 decals for NAVAIR subjects. Occasionally, I do up some special 1/144 decals because they're tiny and don't take up much room or cost.

I keep putting it out there - I am more than happy to help and sell any artwork so that someone can make 1/72 decals. Or the other option buy at least 100 copies of a sheet, and I'll happily get them done. ITMT, if you really love the decals we've put out, consider making an exception and build a model in 1/48. It just may be worth it.

thanks,

brian

To Brian,

Apology accepted.

I apologize for my equally disrespectful response. I accept that it is your business and you take the risks and make the decisions. I did not know who you were or anything about FTD. I visited your web store and saw that you have done 1/72 decals in the past and give you credit for that also. I will refrain from pestering you about 1/72 decals in the future and hope others will as well. I can understand how this could get frustrating. However, you should take it as a compliment, not an insult, when people post wanting to see your product in their preferred scale, they are offering you their business. Your product seems to have a reputation for quality and accuracy. In looking at your product it does indeed look very nice. I saw in your 1/48 scale lineup about 8 or 10 sets I would buy in 1/72 scale, some I have been waiting for since ODS back in '91. So you can see how that gets frustrating. But I certainly could not buy 100 of any sheet, nor could I go into the decal business. I have made numerous requests for markings in both 1/72 and 1/48 to various decal manufacturers in the past and usually get a polite "thank you" but no one has done one yet. I will continue to make requests of other decal companies and hope that one day some of the 1/72 marking I want will be available in the same quality and accuracy as your product.

To some other posters,

I build about 70% 1/48 WWII fighters so have nothing against that scale. I have also built 1/48 modern jets. Here is my problem; I simply have no room to display models of that size. They do not fit in my display case and I have no wall room in my home to put larger displays. Also, I do not hang them from my bedroom ceiling, well not since 1976 anyway ;) . Since 1/48 WWII fighters and 1/72 jet fighters are roughly the same size, and they fit in my display case, that is what I build. I know others build in 1/72 because it is cheaper than 1/48, or because 1/48 jets are too large for them to handle comfortably. So it really does not help, no matter how gently it is done, to recommend that people switch to your preferred scale. It is a little bit like telling someone to change religions or political parties. It does not go over very well.

On another matter, I have noticed a general tendency in a number of forums for 1/48 modelers to post condescending comments toward 1/72 modelers. I can't really say that I have seen it going back the other way. Maybe this is because there are so many more 1/48 modelers. Being a mostly 1/48 modeler myself this always embarrasses me. Let's all not do that, people build their scale for a reason. Also, I have seen just as many posts from 1/48 modelers lamenting a new 1/72 item, and wanting it in their scale. One example is the Meng F-102 kits.

And finally, my original post was about A-6 decals, not F-14 decals. The sheet I was commenting on has disappeared from the first page of this thread. Maybe to better understand the frustration you should pop on over to Sprue Brothers and see what decals are available for 1/72 A-6 Intruders (one set from Desert Storm, nothing from Viet Nam or any other time frame).

Now, let's let this part of the thread end and get back to the original post about FTD 1/48 F-14 decals, and please stop badgering Brian with requests for 1/72, he no longer responds to them.

Alleycat - no worries here. I totally understand where you are coming from and wish I could help out better. I appreciate the kind words and believe me, I do take the requests as a compliment :)

If you're ever up Napa way, lmk and we'll meet up.

-brian

Brian....it's probably too late, but if another sheet for VF-101 Tomcats makes its way onto the market, would you consider doing markings for VF-101 Tomcats that served at Miramar, on Det. after VF-124 was disestablished? Oh....any maybe some VF-124 Cats while we're at it? LOL. :rolleyes:

Alleycat - no worries here. I totally understand where you are coming from and wish I could help out better. I appreciate the kind words and believe me, I do take the requests as a compliment :)/>/>/>/>

If you're ever up Napa way, lmk and we'll meet up.

-brian

Brian,

You're on my friend. But what I would dearly love to do is see your setup for designing and making decals. I have a little trouble getting around, but maybe I can talk my brother into taking me up there. He is an aviation artist and graphic designer who has done many Revell model box art paintings. He would enjoy meeting you. Here is the link to his web page http://stu-shepherd.artistwebsites.com/ Since you seem to be a big Tomcat fan I have to say that I have the original of his Tomcat painting "Sundowner Tomcats" hanging in my home office. He used photos of my Tomcat model to make the painting. Only the right half of the original is shown, the other half has a closer Tomcat almost head-on. Some company put this picture on a pee-chee type folder a while back so you might have seen it. Only a very small number of his paintings are shown on his site, he has many more. Any way, lmk if you're interested.

Edited by Alleycat

Nice to see an apology Alleycat, it gets rare these days.

I hope you don't feel I was being condescending to 1/72 modellers, I apologise if it came across that way in my post. I think 1/72 is great, it is very popular in Europe where space is often at a premium. I personally like the extra size of 1/48 for detail and the ease of working with my clumsy hands. I know what you mean about good, new 1/72 decals though - few and far between. I have had to try and resurrect some 1/72 decals recently.