BoB Spitfire markings question

My first spitfire ever! Confused on the fuselage lettering, since for various spitfires I'm finding it could be either way.

On the portside the code is "LO@Q". But, what about the starboard side? Should it also be "LO@Q"? Or could it be "Q@LO"? I'm not finding enough room on the rear fuselage to put the "LO" first, at least not comfortably. Again, in searching BoB Spitfire photos I'm finding both ways were done.

Thanks!

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

It depended ENTIRELY on the squadron and the particular aircraft you're talking about. During the BoB there was very little (i.e.: no) standardization. In some cases the right side was X-XX and in others it was XX-X. The only way to know for sure is a photo of that particular aircraft at that particular time.

Well...that means that whichever way I do it, I'm guaranteed to find, in about a year, a newly-published photo showing me wrong!!! :bandhead2:

Well, it's good you understand this...

Yep, I've been there. Also happens with specific aircraft you'd like to model. I'll never get over just about killing myself taking a KP MiG-21MF and trying to turn it into 1) a MiG-21PFM, and 2) a detailed, high quality model. Anyone who knows the landing gear and cockpit of this kit know what I'm talking about. Total gutted-rebuild.

6 months later, Zvezda released it's really nice MiG-21PFM. Can't win, man....

If it's any help I have the "On Target" B of B special, published by The Aviation Workshop, which has a starboard profile of a 602 Sqdn. Spitfire Mk. 1, and the codes read "LO - G" from the tail forwards, so the photo probably shows their standard lay-out for that squadron.

By the way, the above mentioned book is a very good reference for the B of B period, as it has LOADS of profiles of British, German,French, Dutch, Belgian aircraft of that period, so it's worth getting if you can. HTH :cheers:/>