Nightfighter GB  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate in a nightfighter GB?

• Yes
    • Maybe

"Nightfighter" GB

Aircraft made to do their thing in the dark / bad weather whether that thing is intercepting aircraft, bombing / attack, or interdicting ground vehicles.

In addition to the obvious dedicated nightfighters, it would include bombers / ground attack aircraft that use the dark to their advantage, RAF bombers in WW2, A-26's hunting trains in Korea and could even include a handful of modern aircraft like the B-2 or F-117 which in addition to radar and IR stealth continue to take advantage of the dark to conceal themselves. It would also include "All weather" aircraft from the late 40s to about 1960 when all weather capability became a standard feature of a modern jet fighter / bomber.

This one has been floating about aimlessly for more than a year. It had more than enough interest, but the moderator seems to have gone missing so due to the time that has gone by I thought it probably needs a new poll to show that there is still enough interest to bring it forward to the GB committee.

We will need a catchy name, one that is inclusive and reflects the scope beyond just the fighters.

I'm thinking the "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night" GB is too long, and cryptic although it might attract some mail carriers. :woot.gif:/>

Lots of discussion in the old thread, but don't take anything said there as set in stone.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=264856&st=0

And yes, the F-111 in most forms is acceptable (for anybody that might be interested in that option :whistle:/> )

I'm open to plausible what ifs.

I'm willing to moderate and will be looking for a Jan 2015 start date.

Edited by Aaronw

Sounds good -can't commit definitely at the moment, but I'd really like to take this one on. I'll know more nearer the time; hopefully I'll have beaten everything into shape by Christmas! (Where have I heard that before...?)

I've discovered that ARCers can really get hung up on names but here are a few ideas:

Night Operators

Graveyard Shift

From Dusk till Dawn

Well, you need a catchy tag for a GB! 'From Dusk Til Dawn' is a great one.

And if we need a theme tune:

As I said in the original thread, I'd like to but probably not. The caveat is it depends on the start date. I have a CF-100 or a Tamiya Beaufighter VI I can build if the start date is agreeable and I can finish my three other builds; Hornet's Nest, J.A.S.D.F. and StarFish.

Update

I'll play in this GB. As it turns out, there was no conflict with the three GBs I referred to. It will be a Beaufighter or a CF-100.

Mike

Edited by AX 365