Nightfighter GB  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate in a nightfighter GB?

• Yes
    • Maybe

Should be good for September here; I've got just a few things to get out of the way by then.

IMHO, regarding the above post, it would be good to have night attack subjects in the mix also (although there ain't exactly a shortage of pure fighter material!) -the Hornet has a fair chunk of fighter DNA anyway. :)/>/>

Chippy

Its not that their is not a shortage of pure fighter material. Its that I can not buy anymore kits, I don't have the room for anymore. I do have a couple kits on my want list but will not be buying anytime soon. I do not sell my kits, I may trade a kit or two if I have multiple kits of the same. I can play if the F/A-18D is allowed if not I'm out sorry if this cramps things up.

Edited by tosouthern66

Ok, I'll work on setting this up for a Sept start then.

I'll Vote yes, does the F/A-18D count as a night fighter for you all?

My intent was to include all night capable aircraft, interceptor, attack etc from the era when that was a special feature, not a common capability.

Once we get into the 1960s and later it gets far more convoluted as most modern fighter and attack aircraft gained night / all weather capability and it could easily turn into a GB filled with a bunch of modern fighters and bombers as technically most are "night and all weather" aircraft.

I don't want to have a hard cut off date because there have been aircraft built since the 1960s that were designed to be even better in low visibility than their contemporaries. A-6, F-111, F-117 and B-2 were all designed to be more capable at night than the standard all-weather / night aircraft of the time.

It is a borderline case, but it appears that the D was intended to be a more night capable variant of the F/A-18 family. It added a second crew member, and additional sensors to increase it's night capability. As long as the aircraft modeled has the additional avionics for night attack (as opposed to a trainer or reconnaissance variant) I think it meets the intent of the GB.

I've submitted the proposal for the GB. Going with a title of The Graveyard Shift (Night interception / Night attack), and asking for 9/1/15 to 3/1/15.

The theme is night operations, fighters, bombers, attack and surveillance aircraft optimized for working in the dark. I've included the last to allow for things like the Blind Bat C-130s used identify and illuminate targets on the Ho Chi Minh trail during the Vietnam war.

Prototypes and plausible what ifs will be considered.

Rather than make an extensive list of acceptable subjects I suggest people consider the following guidelines:

Is the aircraft modified for the mission making it more capable in the night role than contemporary aircraft?

Is there extensive documented use in night operations?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok - went through the stash and I have an Eduard -5N Hellcat that has been "started" (pieces snipped off sprues for fit). Its the nice Profipack edition so if its ok to have a slightly less than pristine kit, I'm going to make my first Hellcat!

Ok - went through the stash and I have an Eduard -5N Hellcat that has been "started" (pieces snipped off sprues for fit). Its the nice Profipack edition so if its ok to have a slightly less than pristine kit, I'm going to make my first Hellcat!

Just because it isn't a Corsair, I'm going to say yes. :thumbsup:

and for anyone else wondering, slightly started is ok where the line is falls somewhere between a few pieces off the sprue and "just needs decals".

I've got an AMT F7F-2N to do. Building a F8F for the Vietnam build and an F6F-5K for the Test Birds so my own collection of Cats across three group builds. If I finish the Tigercat with time to spare I also have a GW P-61 that is on the short list of kits to build.