1/144 Ultimate Shuttle Tile Decals

Now comes the bad news. Work on this decal project is about to come to a halt once again as I pack everything up in preparation to move two months from now. Sometime this summer I hope to be settled into my new house and up and running on projects like this again. Until then, I won't be able to get much done on these decals.

Ooo-o-o-o ... you're such a tease!! Showing us tantalizing views of your superb preliminary decals only to .... .. wait a minute! You must work in Marketing because, you've created the 'want' in us. We WANT ... no, we NEE-E-E-ED these decals ... and you're gonna make us wait till September to get our hands on 'em!

A brilliant tactic Hotdog! :thumbsup:

All kidding aside, these look like they're gonna be well worth the wait. The compound curves on the OMS pods are gonna be fun for you, but breaking the decal into smaller portions will be the only way.

Already, these look terrific! Thanx for the sneak peek ... you ... you Marketing genius! :woot.gif:

Pete

Ooo-o-o-o ... you're such a tease!! Showing us tantalizing views of your superb preliminary decals only to .... .. wait a minute! You must work in Marketing because, you've created the 'want' in us. We WANT ... no, we NEE-E-E-ED these decals ... and you're gonna make us wait till September to get our hands on 'em!

Ha, well yes, I DO work in marketing! I may suggest this "tactic" to my boss!

I am well aware of the want and need. I was getting bombarded by people wanting to know the status of the decals, which is why I felt the need to give you guys an update. I have a feeling these decals are going to be a hot item once they're done! I have a few shuttles I want to use them on as well, so I'm just as antsy to get going on them as anyone.

Thanks for the compliments fellas and I'll try to get some more decals applied in the next week or so and supply another update.

Coming along great Hotdog! I think going with the separate part decals for the larger areas is definitely the way to go.

Also a tip for maybe helping out with the OMS pod decals. Take strips of masking tape (maybe 1/4" to 1/2" wide?) and cover the pods as smoothly as you can with slightly overlapping the strips. Once you have the tape smooth take a pencil or pen and trace the outline of the pods and make any location markings that you need that will aid in locating specific parts (like the rectangular panel in the back and maybe the thin stripe at the front)Once you get that drawn on the tape the way you want carefully pull off the tape leaving it in one piece. Take that and flatten out on to a piece of paper and that can be scanned and imported into your graphic program to at least give you a good starting point for the shape you'll need to make your decal. You'll still have to adjust it here and there I'm sure to account for any stretching and possible scan discrepancies but it's a start. I did this for the 1/72 scale pod and it worked out pretty well.

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the final product.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Thanks, guys! Bill, the masking tape idea is wonderful! I've been using strips of tracing paper, which isn't prone to stretching, but is more difficult to get to lay flat on such a rounded shape like an OMS pod. I will probably have more success with masking tape (and being very careful not to stretch it when removing it) :) I will give it a shot!

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, If you're using something like Micro Set to put those big decals down with, you might consider the product that TSDS Decals puts out. I was having trouble with a large decal tearing on me. There was just no time and no slippery layer under it to move it. TSDS decal liquid gives you the time and the 'slickness' to work with big sheets.

• 4 months later...

Hey, Hotdog?

I know from other posts you have been "into" other things. Any chance you have secretly been working on these for a suprise showing? I really apprciate your skill at creating these decals. Can't wait 'till they're available.

Keep up the good work!

C2j

With all of my model stuff packed up in boxes from the move, the answer is no unfortunately. I am getting settled in to my new house now, and I hope to resume work on this project beginning this week. If I can get on it and stay on it, it's not unrealistic to say that these could be ready to go to market by end of year. *fingers crossed* Thanks for looking

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello

After finding and recovering my Revell Shuttle stack and after realizing that it's saveable...I obviously need decals sooner or later. Hotdog, are your decals still/yet available?

thanks

Uwe

Not yet, I have not worked on them in a long time. I was developing them for the Airfix shuttle so they wouldn't fit the Revell shuttle anyway. One day I'll get back around to it, and maybe do a Revell set also, but I don't expect it anytime soon. I do have the markings, if you're interested in those.

Thanks for the answer...

The markings I have...one set from the latest Revell Germany full stack offer and a set from Real Space. I did send a mail to the UK guy who once had photo realistic tiles on offer but I have not reveived an answer yet. No rush though, I am right now puting 0,3x0,3 and 0,2x0,2 Evergreen strips on the inter tank section, that will keep me busy for a while! :-) Since this is "only" the Revell one I am not going to invest a lot. Maybe one day I will build another one from hopefully newer molds. If only Bandai would release theirs as a kit! ;-)

cheers

Uwe

On 2/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, anj4de said:

I did send a mail to the UK guy who once had photo realistic tiles on offer but I have not reveived an answer yet.

I emailed the guy, Keith McNeil, and he isn't making these decals any longer ...

Just so you know!

Pete

As I`m also eagerly waiting to build my five operational orbiters (Enterprise is done as she needs no tiles) when Hotdogs decals become available (hint*hint*hint) I think I have two sets from Keith Mc Neil still in my stash. No idea what I paid back then. Just PM me if you`re interested.

Best regards,

Thomas

14 hours ago, stu_fishing said:

As I`m also eagerly waiting to build my five operational orbiters (Enterprise is done as she needs no tiles) when Hotdogs decals become available (hint*hint*hint) I think I have two sets from Keith Mc Neil still in my stash. No idea what I paid back then. Just PM me if you`re interested.

Best regards,

Thomas

PM sent