1/48 Eduard Albatros D.III OEFFAG 253

Better late than never! :)

I'm building Albatros D.III OEFFAG 253, 253.08, Flik 3J, piloted by Oblt. Stefan Stec in Summer 1918.

The markings for this aircraft are only available from Roden in 1/72. But, since I want 1/48, I'm going to start with the Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.III OEFFAG 253 Weekend edition

alb-start_zps15086c8d.jpg

As for markings, I'll have to cobble them from the weekend sheet and at least one other sheet (the kit's markings have a Balkenkreuz on the rudder while I need an Iron Cross). I'll paint the red and white chessboard, Stec's personal emblem.

aircraft_albatros.d.iii_flik3j_stec.jpgCopyright © Jan Josef ŠAFAŘÍK

I'll use EZ-Line and/or 0.006 carbon fiber for the rigging.

Since I just had my eyes dilated, construction won't start until later today... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine done. I may tone down the weathering...

alb-engine_zpsf04607bb.jpg

My camera appears to be dying, so this was from my phone. In some ways, it's better than the camera, other ways not so much...

I've done my test piece, and Burnt Umber (top) is looking better than Raw Umber (bottom). I found that a good stiff oil brush was key. The soft brushes I normally use for enamels and acrylics didn't provide any texture at all. I was also surprised at how happy I am with the effect I get from wiggling the brush (on the right). May use that for the panels.

alb-grain_zps086a7ece.jpg

I made good progress this weekend. When I started dry fitting the fueslage, I realized I forgot to wood-grain one former! :crying2:/>

With the approx 1 week drying time for oil, I won't be able to button up the fuselage until next weekend.

Anyway, here's where I am now:

alb-fuselagebits_zpsdbe8c677.jpg

Some time last week I realized that I should have made the wood far more blond...oh well...

Nice part layout! appreciate the beauty of your parts before the assembly is nice... because it won't be easy to do so once the fuselage is close with everything in.biggrin.gif i can appreciate your craftmanship70.gif well done David.

Ready to button the fuselage up.

alb-fuselage_zps2486f01c.jpg

Dang!!! Looking at this photo, I see I lost a lever at the top of the instrument panel :bandhead2:

I need to do something better with the seat, looks sad right now...

Edited by David N Lombard

i see what you mean... in the photo showing the parts already done, it wasn't looking that "sad"... (angle and lighting wasn't the same)

indeed it's not at the same level than the rest of the pit... and it will be the more easily seen part once fuselage closed... so what do you plan to do?

Since I've learned one new skill in the GB, I was going to try for two: forming a leather seat cushion from Milliput or maybe some of the polymer clay my wife has been experimenting with lately.

Not sure what the seat back should be, perhaps I'll wood-grain that too, as you had done...

i've try the milliput for the seat cushion, and my milliput (regular type) wasn't fine enough for that task (or maybe my milliput was too old, hence some granularity) ...maybe if you have a finer type of milliput it will be OK...

for the cushion making, i've place a small amount of polyester putty in a small ziplock bag (slightly thicker than a baggies) then i use a big pen marker to "roll" over till desire cushion thickness is obtain...the bag helps the putty not to stick to the roll...

i let it harden a little (a little) before i cut the shape (using the seat as template, use pointy object to make the line) ...so i have the gross shape of the cushion, that later will be sanded till shape fits the seat)

once it dries a little more, but still malleable, i use an epidermic needle (non-bisel sharp type) to make the padding buttons of the cushion (the ziplock bag make the putty to follow softly, creating the desire effect) if you make the buttons, take in account in their placement that you'll trim/sand your seat to make it fit ...

DSCN7016_zpsec7520c6.jpg

and for the backseat woodgrain, i'll say that it will worth the efforts, as the rest of your pit is outstanding!

Edited by mingwin

I used a folded up bit of tissue for cushions on my Jenny seats and painted them leather. Gives them just a bit of texture, which is nice.

Ken

oh, interesting... and way less hasslebiggrin.gif ...would have love to see those.

Edited by mingwin

Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen tissue soaked in white glue used on ship models to simulate the canvas cover of a lifeboat. I'll try putty as mingwin suggested as well as tissue. I also have a stash of wine bottle foil and a thicker aluminum foil used to seal coffee cans. One of those should work for me...