In Korea the F-86's had a wide yellow fuselage band with black stripes on both sides, most of the aftermarket decals show this band similar to the US Army enlisted chevrons coming to a point on center on top; however IIRC in the "Sabers in action" ref book, it shows it being curved more like a horseshoe. If you are a Sabre expert or have knowledge of the subject, which is correct? or is it one of those cases where both were used, depending on the unit or CO's decision. John Glenn's "Mig Mad Marine" had the horseshoe type, while Academy's "Mike's Bird" has the former chevron type. Not trusting artwork on some sites I'm asking here, as "Wings Palette shows it being the latter also rounded or curved not coming to a point.

TIA guys,

Painting by Harley Copic, by the way.

Notice in the photo above that the application of the national insignia and USAF on jet in the lower right appears to be to a newer regulation. These are post-Korean War, by the way.

So all those years of building as a kid and getting lectures from the older builders....and I could have been right.

Take a look at this one I shot from my office window:

scan0030-7.jpg

What do you see?

So all those years of building as a kid and getting lectures from the older builders....and I could have been right.

scan0030-7.jpg

What do you see?

A Dart surrounded by a lot of AGE

scan0030-7.jpg

What do you see?

OD anti-glare panel, not the usual black - and straight, not curved down to the base of the radome. Remember the date? I have a slide of that aircraft dated May 85 that has the anti-glare in black, but same shape.

Cheers,

Tom

There were a lot of later F-106s with the straight anti-glare panel. I did some color correcting on your scan, and I'm not sure that's OD. I find that *very* unlikely. The depot did a lot of F-106 repaints over the years, and I've never seen one yet that had OD, especially at that late date. It looks a lot more like a somewhat glossy black radome and a flat black anti-glare, which is what you see on virtually every other F-106 ever. Common things are common because they occur commonly.

Anyone notice anything interesting about the lead jet in the photo?

Ben

The second aircraft also has the USAF lettering extending over the yellow wing markings! and the National marking on the opposite wing is not straight either!

Edited by Julien (UK)