CD72029 - F-35A/B

I will release a 1/72 F-35A/B sheet within the next few months - it will essentially be a scaled-down version of my 1/48 sheet, plus a few additions like Luke AFB-based USAF F-35As and the first Royal Australian Air Force jet that was recently rolled out. I will probably take the opportunity to do a small add-on sheet for the 1/48 sheet with the Luke and RAAF jet as well.

Edited by KursadA

Ok, if you are going to do this, please make sure the RAAF version is equal to or better than the Southern Sky decal sheet (more data stencilling would be good). Please also include the Dutch F-35A. Then your sheet will be truly up to date.

• 5 months later...

I will release a 1/72 F-35A/B sheet within the next two months - it will essentially be a scaled-down version of my 1/48 sheet, plus a few additions like Luke AFB-based USAF F-35As and the first Royal Australian Air Force jet that was recently rolled out. I will probably take the opportunity to do a small add-on sheet for the 1/48 sheet with the Luke and RAAF jet as well.

Is this sheet still planned for release?

• 1 month later...

If any of you have the Fujimi 1/72 F-35B kit, can you please send me a PM? I need the tail fin parts to check the fit of a few design elements. I can't find the kit in the US, and delivery from Japan will not reach me on time for the May release design completion deadline.

I am almost done with the design of this sheet - lots have changed in the F-35 scene in the last year, so I added a few new options (new insignia for VMFA-121, new color bird for VMFAT-501, Dutch and RAAF F-35A, Luke and Nellis aircraft etc.) Profiles coming in a couple of weeks, after I deal with the first wave of orders for the next batch coming this week.

Whoa - there is a 7mm difference in the heights of the Fujimi F-35B and Hasegawa F-35A tail parts. I am glad I got the actual kits side by side to ensure correct fit. All the other dimensions more or less agree.

Are the tails of the real aircraft different? I have a feeling that one of the manufacturers got it wrong.

I will have to size the F-35B options for the Fujimi kit, so chances are they will not work on any future F-35B kit.

Edited by KursadA

Whoa - there is a 7mm difference in the heights of the Fujimi F-35B and Hasegawa F-35A tail parts. I am glad I got the actual kits side by side to ensure correct fit. All the other dimensions more or less agree.

Are the tails of the real aircraft different? I have a feeling that one of the manufacturers got it wrong.

I will have to size the F-35B options for the Fujimi kit, so chances are they will not work on any future F-35B kit.

What about the Academy kit?

What about the Academy kit?

Hi John,

I did not check the design against an Academy kit - the F-35A options do not really have what I call "shape-dependent elements", i.e. decal elements that need to exactly fit a certain kit part like rudder insignia, etc. So I just did a basic "sanity check" of element sizes against the Hasegawa F-35A kit. I believe the Academy F-35A kit is as dimensionally accurate as the Hasegawa kit and I do not expect any problems with it.

The F-35B options do have a few elements that need to fit kit parts, though (VX-23 tail markings etc.) - hence the fit check on Fujimi F-35B kit.

Edited by KursadA

Below is the final draft of this sheet. It is more or less complete, I will make some final adjustments to the layout and colors.

The options on the sheet are:

-4 USMC F-35B options (VMFAT-501 low-vis & hi-vis, VMFA-121, VX-23 USS Wasp carrier trials)

-4 USAF F-35A options (including Nellis and Luke aircraft)

-All RAF F-35B (ZM135-ZM138)

-Both RAAF F-35A (A35-001 & A35-002)

-Both KLu F-35A (F-001 & F-002)

Markings are sized to fit the Hasegawa F-35A and Fujimi F-35B. I think this sheet will be especially welcome for those of you who wish to build the Fujimi F-35B. While an excellent kit, none of the available boxings seem to have markings for operational aircraft.

Coming sometime next month (June).

cd72029draft.jpg

Edited by KursadA

It looks like the Fujimi kit is available once again in a JASDF boxing with what-if decals, so it may be a good time to snag that kit in case you missed the initial release.

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance this sheet will have the "USS WASP" text that's on the tail for the F-35B's in this video:

It looks like this was painted very recently - I sent the design to be printed in the first week of May, so it is a bit too late to add this - sorry.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have only 2 (two) of this sheet remaining. I am not sure whether I will do a reprint - there are some newer schemes out there, so I may end up doing a completely new 1/72 F-35 sheet instead. Thanks for the huge interest in this sheet!