This is a kit that I have had in the stash for about 11 years. It is supposed to be built with the two TIE fighters flying over a portion of the death star but I want to try to do something else with it. I bought wood plaque and strofoam ball and I am going to try and make a dio of one of the TIE's hitting and asteroid while the other barely makes it by.

Here is what I will be starting with:

01_zps0e708b7c.jpg

Els

I didn't take any pics while building this first TIE because it is going to be the one that crashes. I wanted to throw it together so I could see how big it is and start trying to figure out how I am going to destroy it for the crash. I might actually have a reason to bring out some firecrackers....

Here is a picture next to some Tamiya to give an idea of the size of the kit.

Tie02_zpsbb7bd6af.jpg

I will probably start working on the asteroid tomorrow.

Els

Started working on the asteroid yesterday.

This styrofoam ball was used as a base.

04_zps3ad36c9e.jpg

It was then chopped in half so that some styrene that I cut and shaped could be inserted. This will give me something to connect to the rod from the base into.

05_zps21d16fec.jpg

Since asteroids are not usually round, the styrofoam ball was roughed up to change its appearance.

06_zpsf359e7e7.jpg

It was then wrapped in papertowels soaked in Durhams putty to give me a surface to work on.

07_zps51cf8f8e.jpg

This morning when the papertowels had dried and hardened I started laying down some epoxy putty. I put a little on at a time and used a piece of pumic to texture the putty before it cured.

08_zpsef1126c2.jpg

Els

Sculpting on the asteroid is done. I put a wash on it to bring out the detail, I will finish it off with washes and drybrushing after I figure out how I am going to do the TIE impact and attachment of the second TIE.

09_zps25474516.jpg

10_zpsce243305.jpg

I am not that happy with how my crater turned out but it is not a problem because that is the area where the TIE will be hitting the asteroid. I wish I would have make the asteroid a little bigger, it is about the same size as the TIE fighter.

Els

I attached the asteroid to the base I plan on using.

12_zpsa3f58264.jpg

I also painted up the TIE that is going to crash. it isn't the most detailed paint up but a lot of it will be cut away or messed up in the crash. Somewhere along the line I dropped the top hatch and cannot find it anywhere. The carpet monster must have been hungry...

11_zps42e04c4f.jpg

After I chopped up the TIE, I glued it to the asteroid.

13_zps978b67c9.jpg

14_zps0ddd547f.jpg

When the glue dries I will start adding debris and building something up around the impact areas.

Els

Thank you Sir Fondlebottom.

While it doesn't look like a lot was done yesterday, this bit took me about four hours.

I started adding some debris to the crash.

15_zpseb3337c9.jpg

I then had to start trying to figure out how to pose the second TIE. I decided it would be best to run some wire through the crashed TIE to hold up the other one. Since the solar panels on this kit are one piece and are not thick enough to run the wire on the inside I have decided to try and run it along one of the solar panel spars. Hopefully it will not be to visible after the build.

I bent a piece of Piano wire the the shape I needed. This took a while to bend a little test fit, bend a little, test fit, repeat, repeat, repeat. This stuff is very hard to work with.

16_zpsa28d2103.jpg

Some of the solar panel had to be cut away so that the wire could be run inside the body of the second TIE.

17_zpsb98b3596.jpg

18_zpsab800180.jpg

Some material also had to be dremeled off the crash TIE so that the wire will be able to be epoxied in for strengh.

19_zps17913295.jpg

20_zpsc09c872f.jpg

I hope all the angles are right because this wire is to hard to bend after the parts are glued.

Thank you. I have been having a lot of fun with this build so far. I am not sure how much fun adding the second TIE will be...

Since I am not lighting this kit I has sprayed some heavily watered down red around the cockpit to try and simulate the lights. It looks like there might be a little to much red in the pictures but it is hard to see once the cockpit is closed up.

21_zpsf69bd719.jpg

22_zpsae3a5b23.jpg

The solar cells were also masked up so they can be painted.

23_zps4a07483c.jpg

Els

I had some time to work on the kit today so I messed around with the base. I thought that if I added a couple of smaller asteroids to the base it would add to the illusion of being in an asteroid field. After gluing them on I don't think that it really works.

24_zps6d638dc7.jpg

I also added more crash debris to the TIE and did some dry brushing on the asteroid.

25_zpsbe55d153.jpg

Els

I am going to call this one done.

41_zpsdee1d688.jpg

I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I will post some more pictures in the finished tab. I had a hard time trying to take good pictures of it becuase of the size, it is about 18 inches. For me the jury is still out on the rocks on the base. I may add more or take them off after I look at it for a while. I didn't get the bend that holds the upper TIE as close to the crashed TIE as I would have liked. In the movie there is a blueish white explosion when they crashed. I tried to put a little of that on the top of the crashed TIE but it doesn't show up very well. I have no idea where I am going to put this, it is to tall for all my shelves.

May the Force be with you.

Els

• 2 weeks later...