Erk, I may have gotten out of sequence -but since this thread didn't appear until nearly 12 hours after I started my build thread and project details here, I hope I won't get disqualified! :rolleyes:

@Thomas: it HAS to be the Eduard Subscriber Edition MiG-21MF -the Czech one with the nose art! (Option H?)

Edited by ChippyWho

Erk, I may have gotten out of sequence -but since this thread didn't appear until nearly 12 hours after I started my build thread and project details here, I hope I won't get disqualified! :rolleyes:/>

@Thomas: it HAS to be the Eduard Subscriber Edition MiG-21MF -the Czech one with the nose art! (Option H?)

Nah, you're good, as long as it's posted in this thread it's legal.

V/r

Ron

Nah, you're good, as long as it's posted in this thread it's legal.

V/r

Ron

Thanks Ron. Been thinking about a GB banner:

Something obvious.

Or maybe this: Call Of The Cthulhu!

When in doubt, go for the Aviator shades...

Hmm, somehow I don't think I quite got it yet!

Edited by ChippyWho

Did I mention, that I don´t like NMF aircraft? :whistle:/>

I checked my two Aires F-104G cockpit sets. Both contain a lot of broken parts. Aires packaging sucks...

Thomas

Edited by Thomas

Did I mention, that I don´t like NMF aircraft? :whistle:/>/>

I checked my two Aires F-104G cockpit sets. Both contain a lot of broken parts. Aires packaging sucks...

Thomas

Too bad; I thought NMF suited the 21 really well -but I'm sure whatever you decide on, it will be a scorcher!

I feel your pain about the AIRES bits; the blister packs are average for this kind of product but do not offer much protection during shipping. On the plus side, you get a useful little foam pad to plug open areas on your model while painting...

1. 1/32 Hasegawa with Canuck decals for a very early NMF CF-104.

2. 1/48 Hasegawa with Canuck decals for a supersonic toothbrush CF-104

3. 1/48 Hasegawa with Belcher Bits for a 1973 ish green job, CF-104.

1. 1/32 Hasegawa with Canuck decals for a very early NMF CF-104.

2. 1/48 Hasegawa with Canuck decals for a supersonic toothbrush CF-104

3. 1/48 Hasegawa with Belcher Bits for a 1973 ish green job, CF-104.

That's more like the Phantom I know! Come out swingin!

V/r

Ron

I was going to do the Eduard MiG-21MF from the Weekend Edition, but I gave the kit a closer look and was pretty dissapointed by it. Missing parts that you're supposed to scratchbuild, wrong color stencils, etc. So that one is going back into the stash.

I could do a 1/72 MiG-21, or a 1/48 TF-104G. I'll think about it and will report back later.

I was going to do the Eduard MiG-21MF from the Weekend Edition, but I gave the kit a closer look and was pretty dissapointed by it. Missing parts that you're supposed to scratchbuild, wrong color stencils, etc. So that one is going back into the stash.

I could do a 1/72 MiG-21, or a 1/48 TF-104G. I'll think about it and will report back later.

Was the Mig-21 kit previously owned? One would expect more out of an Eduard Mig-21 kit.

V/r

Ron

Nope, it was brand new when I bought it. The MiG-21 kits from Eduard all come with colored PE for the cockpit, and the plastic parts are designed for that. All kits, except the weekend edition, which I got. In this kit, they supply you with some decals instead, which is fine for the instrument panel and the side panels, as you can either choose flat kit parts and use the decals, or use the panels with detail molded in and paint these. Only problem is the sidewalls in the cockpit, in all the other kits, you're supposed to use PE parts there, but Eduard didn't mold a replacement panel in plastic. Which you now have to make your own in the Weekend edition of the kit, without a template.

For me, calling a kit Weekend Edition, implies that it is an easy build, with everything you need and nothing more. To find out then that you need to scratchbuild parts (or get a replacement resin cockpit, which Eduard conveniently offers in their Brassin range) and that they included stencils for a NMF MiG-21 instead of stencils for a camo jet (aftermarket stencilsheet also availlable from Eduard, how nice), is dissapointing to me.

This was the first Eduard kit I bought, not sure if I will ever buy one again.

Y'know Pete, although Eduard market their 'Weekend' editions as a pared-down 'bare essentials' version of more elaborate boxings (and some would argue that you can get a useful model out of them, in most cases), I think there is something a bit more subtle going on. It is possible that they are really designed to entice certain customers (like...ahem! :whistle: !) to buy the base kit, then a shedload of Brassin stuff to knock out a more enhanced model than the mid-way ProfiPack range allows for. Doubtless Eduard reckon on such buyers using aftermarket decals for such a 'full-on' project anyway -likely Linden Hill and/or Begemot for the Fishbed.

It is quite possible that we will see more of this, like the high-end cycle market, with modellers able to customise the 'componentry' set-up they require around a manufacturer's basic 'frame', bringing the ever more dynamic aftermarket business into play as well. Eduard's one-brand approach is just the tip of the 'berg, I tells ya!

P.S. -there are 14 or so white airframe stencils in my Weekend kit (the Hungarian one); you're welcome to these if it helps!

Edited by ChippyWho

I bought 4 of the Eduard Mig-21 Overtree kits, so I bet they have the same issue. by the time you try and buy all the stuff that you get in the Profipak kit, you end up spending $20 more for it. But they do make some really nice Mig-21's when finished!

V/r

Ron

First fail...

I started with the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit. The fuselage parts are so warped, esp. at the fin the two halves move to opposite directions at the base and in the midlle and the complete fin tends towards the left.

The two Aires cockpit sets I have contain a lot of broken pieces and most broken off pieces are missing in both sets. Aires packaging just sucks.

Now I have two unusable cockpits and one unusable kit. BTW, the airbrakes seem to be designed for from a different team, because they are to small for the openings.

Back to start...

Thomas

First fail...

I started with the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit. The fuselage parts are so warped, esp. at the fin the two halves move to opposite directions at the base and in the midlle and the complete fin tends towards the left.

The two Aires cockpit sets I have contain a lot of broken pieces and most broken off pieces are missing in both sets. Aires packaging just sucks.

Now I have two unusable cockpits and one unusable kit. BTW, the airbrakes seem to be designed for from a different team, because they are to small for the openings.

Back to start...

Thomas

I bought the Revell "Tiger Meet" F-104 last year with high hopes, it was actually the 1980's Monogram plastic and not the Hasegawa plastic. The only thing good in that box was the really nice Tiger Meet decals.

V/r

Ron

Hi guy's

Is it to late for my entry?

If not i would build an Eduard ProfiPack Mig-21 SMT. It will be an OOTB build as i'm short on cash for any resin add on...

boxart_zpsda6c6333.jpg

interiorbox_zpse503e294.jpg

mainparts_zps94c5d009.jpg

582iap_zps5a9efd88.jpg

The plane i choose to built

As i come back for a long hiatus from modeling and i mostly build tanks and armor; i think this is a good way to complete an airplane build...

Regard

Stephane

Edited by S.Pelletier

That's good -I was hoping we'd get an SMT in the mix. Anyone in for a 21F-13 (preferably Finnish Air Force)? Or maybe that's not really a Fish, as such...

The 21F-13 is a Fish variant, totally qualifies as a Fish!

V/r

Ron