• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, this is a reference link and also a bit of a 'noob' question. I found these photos of a German aircraft while traversing the halls of Britmodeller (on tip-toe -didn't want to wake up any of the members!).

The second one appears to indicate that the front section of the pitot is ball-mounted in the shaft (I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this now) and thus has some latitude of movement. Indeed, it is slightly 'off' from the axis of the nose.

I doubt I can replicate that mounting in 1/48, but would be interested to know if that is the actual configuration, and if pitot or pitot-static tubes on other types also have it?

Thanks for pointing that out...I finally have an explanation of my occasionally bent pitots... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, never saw anything like that before. Perhaps it is, actually, a mangled part.

• 1 month later...

Probably just a 'parking ding', then...I couldn't see why it would need to move around, surely that would impair its function?

Definitely makes no sense. The angle and position of pitot booms is critical to their function. That looks like a damaged part to me; all pitot booms I've seen on 104s in person were dead straight (and I've seen quite a few starting back in the 70s in West Germany).

ALF