This build will not be studio model accurate and so I plan on doing Blue 12 but with actual blue markings as it was before the repaint (assuming it ever was blue and the naming scheme isn't a leftover from the switch).

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=11564 This is a pretty elusive pyro model and those two pictures are all I have. I will try to match it fairly well but with the markings being blue instead of red. I plan on using the non-accurate cockpit for this but with the studio model accurate pilot.

salzov3parts1.png

salzov3parts2.png

salzov3parts3.png

Done some inventory of the stuff this far. All is here, it has been slightly started by the previous owner (the laser cannons are assembled and the engine sides are glued to the main wing parts). It seems I will have to disassemble the front parts of the cannons as you can see the gear parts on them aren't on straight and flush. Other than that I will be doing minor cleanup and very minor repair before starting the actual building which will include hopefully lighting and a proper armature which is still on pre-order.

Edited by Sir Fondlebottom

n' a bit of progress today. I've mostly been cleaning up panel lines, removing small resin beads and filled the very very few air bubbles I could find. Still a lot to go. Even-though there's relatively very little work it is a pretty large bird in the end.

I also got cracking on getting the cockpit tub to fit snugly and cleaning up the interior canopy framing, replacing some damaged bits of pipe detail. I also went about adding some generic detail and tubing similar to that found in some of the close up cockpit shots in the movies.

salzov3prog1.png

salzov3prog2.png

salzov3prog3.png

salzov3prog4.png

Seems the photographs picked up a whole row of little air bubbles along the canopy frame I'll get to filling as soon as I'm back at the bench :rolleyes:

If there is a true holy grail model for me this has to be close to it.

Wow.

Mike Salzo is actually about to produce a batch of this kit, this time Version 4 with added improvements. That's partly why I'm not going screen-used-model-accuracy-nazi on this particular kit as much as I'd normally feel inclined to do (that, and I have another V3 kit). Otherwise they pop up on Ebay now and then, but they're very very pricey.

Here you can read about the kit "lineage", the one I'm building is a V3 http://www.therpf.com/f10/history-salzo-captain-cardboard-x-wings-74743/

Thanks! :)/> Not much in way of progress on this one beyond more cleanup. I can't really start the lighting process nor the wings until I have the armature in hands so this will be on hold for a few weeks until that arrives.

I´ll be quivering with anticipation until the next update! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of actual progress but a kind of fun episode: I don't think I can get the "gear parts" off the laser cannons without damaging that resin, so I looked around and found out that the gear parts are actually heatsinks, called Aavid Thermalloy 323005B00000G. These can also be seen in the engine exhaust nozzles on my pictures above. So I figure I can cut away the resin casts and replace them with these heatsinks instead.

So I order them from a place called Allied Electronics in the US. In my mailbox I find that their customer service requires me to fill out who the end user would be and what the end use is, i.e. not terrorism, bomb making or weaponry. I of course replied that I need them to finish the Taim & Bak KX9 laser cannons on my Incom T-65 X-wing starfighter. I did go on to explain that it was a model and so on but hopefully it gave them a chuckle. I do believe my heatsinks are on the way and it will solve the misalignment as well as make it more authentic in one move! :cheers:

Edited by Sir Fondlebottom

Do you know of any way - or contact information / web page - that would tell us when the Salzo V4.0 would be available? I've got a Captain Cardboard kit (very nice), and an ICONS as well - but I really like the look and details of the Salzo kit. Saw one go on eBay a week or so ago for $699...

Hitch

Edited by GEH737
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quickie update. Salzo now taking orders on the V.4, but it's for RPF members, not sure how he deals with people newly signed up just to buy the kit. Anyway, the link:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/official-v4-info-instructions-depot-225939/

My heatsinks arrived! Now just waiting for the Plastruct tubing that is used for the ring around them on the cannons.

salzov3prog5.png