How to mask spinners

Hey guys,

I am at a lost here. I am attempting to mask a 3 paint spinner for a Big Beautiful doll P-51 and I am in the process of masking the red part:

bbd_dux6.jpg

Using 4mm Tamiya paint I cannot get a straight line around the spinner. The black and white have already been painted, so only the red is remaining.. What is a good way to do this type of masking?

Thanks!

What I've done in the past is a shortened version of the network54 link/info. Use a wide enough piece of masking tape and wrap around the spinner with as few wrinkles as possible. Then slice off the excess tape at the base of the spinner. Peel it off and you have the correct curvature to use as a pattern. You could also wrap the spinner in tape, trim the tape from the base, then lay a pencil/marker flat (propped up to the desired height) against the spinner and rotate it so you draw a line around the circumference of the spinner. Hope this helps.

BW

Edited by billw

I would paint the Red area first then mask off for the Silver.

Take your 4mm Tamiya tape and a straight edge(rule)and cutting on a hard surface(tile)cut a 1mm strip off one edge. Using the original edge place it towards the area to be sprayed. You'll find that it will stretch just enough to conform to the shape better without any wrinkles. Once you're happy with it then back it up 4mm tape to protect the NMF.

Alternatively you can purchase PVC pin striping tape as thin as .5mm used in the automotive business.

Edited by scotthldr

I would paint the Red area first then mask off for the Silver.

Take your 4mm Tamiya tape and a straight edge(rule)and cutting on a hard surface(tile)cut a 1mm strip off one edge. Using the original edge place it towards the area to be sprayed. You'll find that it will stretch just enough to conform to the shape better without any wrinkles. Once you're happy with it then back it up 4mm tape to protect the NMF.

Alternatively you can purchase PVC pin striping tape as thin as .5mm used in the automotive business.

Hey scott, that is what I did by the end, stripped it all and started with the red. Masking the white and black with a vertical strip was a lot easier than around the base.

Thanks everybody!

Excel makes a neat little item called a "Duel Flex Cutter" that is made for jobs such as this. The generic name for this tool is a parallel cutter. I got mine quite a few years ago from Micro Mark. I am sure that Sprue Brothers would have one of these.