Dumb F-86A Question

There is an early F-86 on a pedestal in Draper, Utah at the Utah Air National Guard headquarters. See link below. Note the tail number (may not be correct) is 49-1273 which according to my references is in the A model range. It has the vee shaped windscreen but also has the fairing for the all flying tail. Sorry the vee shaped windscreen does not show well in the photos on the link. Where some A models retrofitted with the all flying tail? Or is this more likely an E that has been painted to represent an A?

Cheerio!

Clicky

No. A display airplane like that could have an E or F aft fuselage. Impossible to say. The A that's on display at Maxwell AFB is marked as an E, but in tiny lettering underneath the horizontal stab (and good on them for doing it!) it gives the true identity of the airframe. No A that I've ever heard of was upgraded like that. Airplanes were considered a lot more disposable back then, and NAA was cranking them out at warp speed.

There is an early F-86 on a pedestal in Draper, Utah at the Utah Air National Guard headquarters. See link below. Note the tail number (may not be correct) is 49-1273 which according to my references is in the A model range. It has the vee shaped windscreen but also has the fairing for the all flying tail. Sorry the vee shaped windscreen does not show well in the photos on the link. Where some A models retrofitted with the all flying tail? Or is this more likely an E that has been painted to represent an A?

Cheerio!

Clicky

If you zoom in on the pic, you can see that is has the 6-3 wing that covers the part of the ammo door. F86A wingtips had the nav lights on the forward corner, this one has teardrop lights of the later Sabres. It also had the top fuselage vent of the later 'F' models.

I'm guessing it is a mish-mash of different parts; forward fuselage of an 'A', wing and rear fuselage of later ones.

Others may know more.

Tony