Airfix F-80C Shooting Star Help needed

Hi all,

I'm half way through building the 1974 boxing of the Airfix 1/72 F-80C Shooting Star. The kit offers two colour schemes the Saggin Dragon FT-650 option and an FT-873 option, no name or title given but the instructions claim it served with the USAF 36 FBS, 8 FBW in Korea during 1951, unfortunately I have searched the net extensively and can find no mention of this aircraft! I have tried the USAF registry, my usual port of call for colour schemes Wings Palette, a number of military aircraft photo sites and still no luck. Can anyone help me please with a photo or profile please????

oddly I can find photos of FT-872 and FT-876. If it helps the serial number on the decal sheet is 49-873, I have searched this registration number as well and still found no information, is it possible that this is a miss-ident?

Since posting I have found a photo of 49-873 wearing Alaska ANG 144 PBS scheme dated 1954, whcih is no help as it's not the scheme I am looking for i have also discovered that it was built as an F-80C-10-LO if that helps?

Doug S.

Edited by Douglas skipper

Hi Doug,

I also tried several times to get at least one picture of -873 in 8 FBW markings but have always came up empty handed. It would be nice if somebody could help with a pic of that specific airframe. Nice to know there is at least two of us that would be happy! :lol:

Fingers crossed!

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

I find it quite odd that Airfix would include a scheme this hard to find as there were loads of colourful F-80C's in korea so assumed that as they had included it, it would be a known aircraft? I admit that when they re-released the kit some 5 years later they retained the "Saggin Dragon" scheme and replaced the FT-873 scheme with "the Spirit of Hobo" scheme, but even so, very odd choice this one by Airfix.

Doug S.

OMG! :blink:

It did indeed "exist"!!! :woot.gif:

As I built most Airfix kits since I was a kid and do still have some in the stash right now, I found myself several times looking for pictures of the actual subject they were providing markings for in their boxes. In some cases they are extremely hard to find and I have always wondered where Airfix were getting their references from. Hardly any good references way back in the sixties, yet their research has proven to be generally very accurate regarding colors and markings.

Your picture is extremely interesting as it confirms the tail markings, including the serial number, were there. Pictures from other aircraft within the same unit show it missing and others show the markings overpainted by the red markings. It seems the buzz number on the fuselage is not outlined in red, which is also nice to know. Hopefully the tip tank is not hiding any nose art, but if Airfix is to be trusted, there wasn´t any.

Excellent detective work Doug. Hopefully, some other pictures will show up.

Many thanks for answering your own question!

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

I'm half way through building the 1974 boxing of the Airfix 1/72 F-80C Shooting Star.

Interesting subject, Doug - looking forward to seeing the build.

If you'll be doing more 1/72 Shooting Stars, you might be interested in this and this old thread.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Jorge, yes my only concern was that some of the F-80's flying with that unit had a red outline to the fuselage serials and a couple had red main wingtips, if the pictures are to be believed, however the photo above does show that there was no red outline to the serial and as far as I can tell no red wing-tips, Paul Boyer's link to the painting also seems to confirm both of these points.

Gene K. Will be building 4 more Airfix F-80C's along with 1 Revell F-80C and 2 Hobby Boss F-80A's (with all the problems this kit has, lol). would like a couple more of the Monogram/Revell kits but they are now rare in England and very expensive, even so these kits, even with raised panel lines, are so much better than the Hobby Boss kit.

I also intend to re-scribe the remaining Airfix kits as this one was build OOB and the panel line detail is not very good in raised form so will bite the bullet and have a go at re-scribing, if the worst comes to the worse I'll end up living my last remaining years in a nice warm, padded cell with an oversized jumper!!!!

I have several decal sheets and it is my intention to finish my remaining kits as FT-650 "Saggin' Dragon", FT-591 "Spirit of Hobo", FT-547 "Evil Eye Fleagle" & FT-423 with the red/blue/yellow stripe scheme.

Anyway will try and post some if not all of my remaining builds for you all to see.

Thanks so very much for all your help and comments.

Doug S.

While the Sword kit has much better detail than the others, it is more difficult to build due to the ill fitting parts around the cockpit, intakes, and wheel well. For the fuselage to close around the cockpit tub, I had to pull out the splitter plate (inside intake faces) and sand them nearly paper thin. Even with that, the splitters noticeably stick out (visible in photo).

I suppose time is not on your side, but in my case, I'm waiting for the inevitable Platz release. Some of the sprues of the Platz T-33 kit are labled: "P-80/T-33." Don't know why they are waiting. I've already got money in hand.

SwoF-80Cweb.jpg

Beautiful builds, Paul!

While the Sword kit has much better detail than the others, it is more difficult to build due to the ill fitting parts ....

I won't venture into the FMS Buildability vs Accuracy "position".

The Sword intakes aren't much of a challenge - here's my solution using thin card for "seamless" intakes:

Intake6.jpg

I'm waiting for the inevitable Platz release.

I also can't believe they haven't released an F-80. One of my future projects was to cut up the Platz T-33, but was holding off for their single seater. The cuts should be fairly simple

OverlayCut12Expanded.jpg

Do you have any more of those beautiful Shooting Star models to show? Did you do any build threads on them?

Gene K

Huh?

:coolio:/>/>

Gene K

Meaning I'm going to wait for Platz's F-80 kit for the next one instead of trying to fix another Sword or Airfix. But if you don't have time to wait, go for it.

I don't have "in progress" photos besides the projects that have been in the magazine. I shot photos of my entire built-up collection a few years ago so I could post them on this and other forums. Here's my Airfix done as an early P-80A with Microscale decals:

AfxF-80Aweb.jpg

Any particular requests?

Hi all,

With reference to the Sword kit, there are two valid reasons for not buying one, 1: you'll be lucky to find any in the UK and 2: the price, they are running at about £20 GBP that's about $26 USD? a piece if you can find one. and if a third is needed you've just told me that it also has inaccuracies, so why should I spend 2 or 3 times as much on a kit that still has to have work done to it?? (this comment is not about the fact that Airfix is a British company either as I have a number of great sword kits in my stash and enjoy the challenge of the build).

Sorry, error £20 GBP is $36 (Aprox) not $26 as stated above

Doug S.

Sorry Gene K,

Wasn't trying to be rude, but it seems you took it that way and for that I apologise. I have to agree with you on the whole the Sword kit is better detailed and contains a number of detailing parts, which the Airfix kit does not have and on the whole, the Sword kit is the better kit option. My point was that you can still buy the Airfix kit for about £9 GBP (Aprox $14 U.S) whereas if you can find a Sword kit they generally cost £20 GBP (Aprox $36 U.S). I know that the Sword kit is better and I appreciate that, but from my point of view if I still need to convert parts of the kit it makes better financial sense to carry out the work on the cheaper, more obtainable kit.

As I said, sorry if i offended you it wasn't my intention and hope that this explenation makes the point I was trying to make, clearer.

Doug S.