Academy 1/48 MiG-21MF "Polish Air Force"

Ron,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I check them carefully.

While the Freedom Models' X-47B generally has some really nice fit and finish, none of the spoilers or doors actually just dropped into place. A little patience, fitting, and filing got them to fit nicely enough. I've had to resort to those tools a bit already on this kit...

i have a CMK vac-form canopy that is intended for the Academy kit, that i'll never use... maybe i can help you if you didn't find any better solution... but the shipping could be the complicated part of that "gift" offer...

Mingwin,

Thanks for the offer! I'll keep it in mind in case the Taurus canopy can't be made to fit. After all, it should fit just fine, right? :whistle:

Edited by David N Lombard

Working on the fin and spine. Here are the Academy and Wolfpack bits side-by-side. The differences are apparent. But, as modelguy2 warned, the Wolfpack bits are a tad short.

mig-21mf-fins_zps4954204f.jpg

Sadly, that's a nit... Here are the Academy (top) and Wolfpack (bottom) spines. As you can see, this particular example is twisted and lacking in surface detail.

mig-21mf-spines_zps7a45484b.jpg

I decided to use the Academy spine after some minor surgery to include some of the spine from the Academy fin.

mig-21mf-finspine_zps63e36bf8.jpg

Sadly, the fin was also a little wonky too.

mig-21mf-fintilt_zps5979a829.jpg

It's late...I deal with the fin warp tomorrow later today <_<

Got the fin straightened out. Looking carefully at the fin, it was clear the rear of the fin was warped; some hot water fixed that. I then found the slot in the base of the fin was tilted. Some filing fixed that. That allowed me to get the empannage and wings on.

mig-21mf-fuselage1_zps43094178.jpg

Now I've got some filling and filing and PE bits to put on and then off to the paint shop.

Ron,

Thanks. It clearly would have been more interesting if I couldn't have reverted to the plastic spine. But, I'm highly motivated on this one due to the really cool markings.

Supergru,

Yeah...I was hoping I would show at least a base coat by the end of this weekend! Alas, I'm still working on getting that Taurus vacuformed canopy designed the Eduard MiG on my Academy MiG...

Edited by David N Lombard

I've got the canopy to the point that I know it will fit with some work. I'll need to build up a support sill in the rear of the canopy. I'm thinking of replacing the lower metal frame of the canopy with styrene to better bridge the Eduard v. Academy differences.

Before I do that, however, I'm still working on getting the rest of the airframe ready to paint. Looking at photos, it's clear that I could go too far in fairing this beast =8^0

• 5 weeks later...

FI·NAL·LY! Ready for the paint shop...

mig-21mf-rdy2pnt1_zps39968e4d.jpg

Losing that dang canopy caused a nightmare. While the Rob Taurus vac canopy is nice, there's clearly a difference between the cockpit openings of the, um, fine Academy kit I'm building and the Eduard kit that others are enjoying. Easily the worst canopy job I've done. :bandhead2:

mig-21mf-rdy2pnt2_zps24ade5f9.jpg

I did spend some time opening up the various scoops. The D-shaped scoops were quite the challenge

mig-21mf-rdy2pnt3_zps80e3fe95.jpg

Short update. I applied a coat of Tamiya fine white primer and then started painting using Mr Color 73, Aircraft Gray, as called out by Academy. This is the first time I've used Mr. Color, and I must say, it went on very nicely when thinned with their 400 leveling thinner.

And here it is, with the base coat. The observant will notice the inlet cone is gray--that's what you get when you forget to mask it... :bandhead2:/>

Oh well, I noticed this particular aircraft used a different color, so I suppose it may well have been some subconscious flub to ensure I corrected that mistake...

mig-21mf-painted_zps57877019.jpg

I'll have to use Mr Color more often!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the decals on. It was quite the breathing exercise as I held my breath maneuvering all the pieces into place. There was a single piece from the nose, above the wing, to the trailing edge. It still needs some more Micro Set and Sol lovin'. I'll have to resort to paint to make up some of the seams between decals.

mig-21mf-decals_zpsc1e213ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...