DML 1/48 SPAD XIII

Regardless of when this group build ends, my WWI Theme Build will go on until they're all done so I'll start this one and share it here. Since I'm robbing the insignia decals from this kit for my JN-4 Jenny build, it might as well be this one. Besides, Mingwin has the market cornered on Nieuports :woot.gif:/>/>

DML's "Knights Of The Sky" series SPAD S.XIII:

SPAD_XIII_001.jpg

Breakdown of the parts:

SPAD_XIII_003.jpg

There are also four 12" pieces of stainless wire taped to the bottom of the box, but I'll rig this with nylon as I usually do. Easier to work with and no chances of bending. The decals I picked up to replace the kit decals have an option for a XIII flown by S/Lt. Bourjade posted at Soudee-Sainte-Croix, July 1918 (middle of the decal instruction sheet in the pic) and I'll go with that one.

Looks like a pretty builder friendly kit, so I suspect this'll go well.

Ken

A new built from you! Great news!banana.gif i'll follow (as usual) your build with great interest!beside that, i didn't had the intention to forbid any from building Nieuportsdry.gif...there is still many version to build that i won't... at least for this time...

but i understand you point, and i'm grateful you sacrifice yourselfbiggrin.gif and demonstrate how this kit is "build-able".

• 1 month later...

Some progress here. I spent some time cleaning up the bigger parts. The sprue gates went into the trailing edges of the wings so the "scallops" had to be cleaned up. And work begins on the cockpit. The color call-outs in the instructions deviate considerably from walkaround photos of an unrestored bird, so I went with the real one.And of course, lots of love for DML/Dragon's stainless steel photo etch... dry.gif

SPAD_XIII.jpg

This one will take a bit longer than I first thought. Lots of detail in the cockpit, and I'll bet most of it is visable.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Work continues on this one but I'm not pushing it too hard. Still need to add a couple colors to the stash to paint it and the loss of White Ensign Models has put a damper on that.

Blurry pic of the cockpit for ya. Didn't notice until it was buttoned up:

SPAD_XIII_002.jpg

The upper "shelf" was supposed to go into the upper decking but with the instruments in place, it didn't fit. So it went straight into the fuselage instead. You can't tell with the decking on. Interesting issue, as I have read builds of this kit online and haven't seen any mention of it.

And with the lower wings on. The tailplanes are just dry fitted and I'm thinking it may be better to paint the plane with those parts loose and glue them on after.

SPAD_XIII_005.jpg

SPAD_XIII_006.jpg

And postimage.org giving up all kinds of problems tonight...:angry:/>

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Why, thank you sir and always good to hear from you :thumbsup:/> And with the news that WEM Colourcoats has been picked up, this build might get back on track again soon. Probably not in time for the group build (and it's ready for paint, too) but it won't languish long.

And Joyeux Noël to you and yours :)/>

Ken