No photos or anything. I'm just starting this thread to declare my participation in this GB. I'm not sure, yet, which direction this build will go. It will be a single seater, that I do know. It could be an early natural metal finish. It could be 421 Sqn's 'Coke Bottle' scheme. It could be an overall green from 421, 439 or 441 Sqn. It could be 441's 'Checkerbird' scheme. It' won't be one of 439 Sqn's 'Tiger Meet' schemes as there is a Tiger Meet GB proposed.

Anyway, my hat is in the ring but nothing will be done until my GB CF-18 Hornet is complete.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Go for the Checkerbird. I plan on doing the coke bottle, a 1973 greenie and a my NMF from 1963 is almost done.

Shawn,

As you afforded me a similar courtesy in the Hornet's Nest GB, I will do the same for you.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0169.jpg

Um, would mind giving us an approximate census of models currently on display? I'm willing to bet you've built more than are in many a never-gonna-live-that-long stash around here...

418 on active display. But I have tossed around 20 and gave a bunch more away recently.

eg. Have built 174 Phantoms, but only 120 are still in my house.

Edited by phantom
  • 1 month later...

With the Hornet's Nest project complete, it's time for me to concentrate on this GB. Using a Hasegawa kit. I was going to use a Revellogram kit but this version needs the radar warning sensors. This Hasegawa kit has the sensors. As stated, I'm using Leading Edge's decals.

Here's the start:

BoxArt_zps7c06a736.jpg

Contents_zps44f85078.jpg

DecalFront_zps71d2b982.jpg

Decals_zps33b7d461.jpg

Mike

These Hasegawa Starfighters literally fall together. Here's what I've accomplished over the last two days, including painting the cockpit and a few other pieces...

Wings_zps7c242288.jpg

NoseCone_zps46bff32d.jpg

LandingGear1_zps30e330d4.jpg

WingTanks1_zps79e95cb8.jpg

Cockpit_zpsd9d10e40.jpg

Fuselage_zpsb0fe2b72.jpg

ShellChute_zps70e08874.jpg

As you can see, in the last photo I've filled the hole where the spent casing ejector chute should go (behind the vents behind nose gear well). Don't see that in any resource photos of the real thing. Also, the canopies have been dipped in Future. The little radar sensor on the front windscreen has been sanded off. I might do a bit more later today but I have to have my afternoon nap as I'm working midnights today and tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Thanks Ron.

Small update today. Most of the construction is complete. I left the wings off to facilitate masking when spraying the aluminum in the gear bays. The EZ Masks for the canopies are great. This was my last set for CF-104s. Not sure if he's still in business. Chris advertises in Fine Scale Modeler magazine but the LHS that likes to stock his product says they haven't heard from him in a VERY long time.

Fuselage1_zps9d6ed471.jpg

NoseGearBay_zpsb7d84d47.jpg

MainGearBay_zps48b95cbd.jpg

Cockpit1_zpsc68b3d86.jpg

EZMasks_zps03bac495.jpg

I primed yesterday morning with MM FS36231. After drying for a few hours, I smoothed and polished with an old t-shirt. I sprayed the first coat of MM Gloss Black last night and a second coat about an hour ago. I'm working afternoons today and tomorrow so there may be no more progress until Wednesday. We'll see.

Thanks for looking in. As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

No new photos yet but the gloss black turned out really well. Two light coats at about 18-20 psi. Moments ago I masked the areas than need to be painted fiberglass and flat black. I have also painted the gear bays with Alclad Aluminum and I also primed the areas that need to be painted with fiberglass (radome tan) with the Alclad. I'll spray the radome tan and flat black on the appropriate areas later today.

Mike

Photos of the painting so far. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I hope to be even happier once the decals are on.

PaintedFuselage2_zpsee2a7230.jpg

FlatShockCone_zps9befa41f.jpg

FlatRadome_zps3e722493.jpg

PaintedNodeBay_zpseeeb26a6.jpg

PaintedMainBay_zps1e6c19d3.jpg

PaintedWing_zps5d1e9fc5.jpg

PaintedTank_zps5a0a31fc.jpg

PaintedNozzle_zps425af678.jpg

PaintedHubs_zpsa9dce114.jpg

As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Thanks for the support pal. I do prefer this version of the 'Checkerbird' compared to the one with the larger squares. This version looks sleeker. I have to say that the decals went on without any issues whatsoever. They are thin enough to lay down into recessed panel lines and over raised areas without setting agent and strong enough that none broke / splintered / shattered when removing them from the sheet, even without a coat of Future or other sealant. Having said that, I did give every decal an application of Solvaset to ensure no air bubbles. I'm also glad I left the wings off as it made applying the decals a whole lot easier. If I tried applying them with the wings on, I'm sure there might have been a curse word or two uttered in disgust. Some trimming was required but generally speaking, they went on very nicely. I'm going to let everything cure for a couple of days before I do any final assembly. Here are a few shots with the decals applied.

Checkers2_zpsc19b74d3.jpg

Checkers1_zps320f0d73.jpg

DecalsDone_zps47355d05.jpg

Thanks for looking in. As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Ooooooo! Shiny!

Nicely done, my friend! :thumbsup:

With my anti-441 bias, I was hoping you'd change your mind and do it overall Alclad... but it should look pretty spiffy as a Checker bird.

ALF

ALF / Neo / David,

Thanks for the kind words boyz. Sorry ALF. Maybe next time. Or the one after that. Or the one after the one after that. I have a set of Canuck's RCAF+3 CF-104 decals. Not sure when I'll do it, but it will get done eventually.

David - the thought to leave the wings off just came to me as I was looking at the decal sheet, especially the long set of checkers that go under the wing and the white wedges on the underside of the wings. Sometimes I do come up with a good idea but the missus doesn't like it when that happens too often!

I did a small bit of work this morning before going to work. I glued on the arrestor hook and the ventral fin. I also press fit the wing tanks onto the wings and the exhaust nozzle into the tail opening. Finally, I attached the radar sensors with white glue and they are drying, or should be dry by now. They are white metal so I have to paint them.

The only thing really left to do is attach the wings and assemble the main gear and attach all the wheels. And then there's the pitot tube. If all goes well, I should have it done on Sunday. If not Sunday, definitely Monday. I'll post the final set of photos when she's done.

Mike