Hobby Boss 1/48 P-61?

Well, despite an incredible lack of interest, the parts and directions are now up on Hobby Search: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10281519

Having looked through the directions, I'm not keen on the engine fronts or the nose wheel/fender combo. And did the plane ever carry bombs and rockets as indicated? Otherwise, I'm no expert on shape, but I'd appreciate any observations the group might have.

Edited by Space Tiger Hobbes

I do know that the ability to carry bombs and rockets was designed-in, but don't know that they were ever carried operationally. Can't comment on the kit as I've still got ye olde Monogram kit still in the stash...

Three P-61s were used to bomb a methanol plant on Taiwan that other attackers tried to hit but were driven off by flak. Low-level all the way in and out with excellent results. Launched at o-dark-thirty and made their bomb runs right after dawn catching the defenders asleep.

Taken from Combat Chronicles of the Black Widow by Warren Thompson, Squadron/Signal Publishing, ISBN 0897476386

Edited by Slartibartfast

The best 1/48 scale P-61 currently available is the GWH kit. Excellent detail, and other then the glass, the parts fit is very good.

Joel

This new Hobby Boss kit is already better in some aspects: Correct hollow radius at the base of the fins (not the horrible slab-like fullness of GW), and a one piece canopy that is much more accurate and bound to be better fitting. The kit's two windshields are still different but seem a little closer to each other than GW (they should be identical, why this is a mystery to second-rate Chinese makers is a mystery all of its own). None of the existing kits are in any way accurate in front fuselage/cockpit/nose proportions, and the new Hobby Boss will likely only be marginally better.

Robertson

Black Widows carried 500lb bombs on the outer wing pylon. They used them in Italy this way. Also the triple bazookas on the out board pylons to. Four Hvars on each wing.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/AAF-Night/img/p31-2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/550th_Night_Fighter_Squadron_5_in_rockets_under_P-61_wing.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/425th_Night_Fighter_Squadron_P-61_Black_Widow_with_rockets_under_wings.jpg

Edited by Vandy 1 vx4

New P-61 from HB is more cheapest as GWH... It is better kit ? GWH is really very expensive and Monogram (now re-boxed by RoG) is old... (And difference beyond re-box of this kit and HB is 5USD)

Edited by AlCZ
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta admit, I'm rather surprised by this announcement.

It's a relatively well kitted but obscure aircraft (2 readily available kits in 1/48, 1 readily available kit in 1/72 and 1-2 older kits which are readily findable), and large enough in 1/48 that it also suffers from 'buy once, sit in the stash' syndrome. Sure there's clear room for improvement over the previous kits (both of which have accuracy issues, and the cheaper Monogram also is a bit of a challenge to build), but realistically I don't expect it to be a sales success.

Last kit completed was the Mono/Revell P-61. I choose it AFTER reviewing the GWH kit. Fit was lacking but with careful build, fits darn good for it's age. Overall outline is still the best, currently!!

That said, I'm just gonna have to buy this Hobby Boss P-61 and give it a closer check. It kinda looks like it is an Easy Build line kit. Interior isn't as good as GWH's and better than Revell's; but, a closer inspection will tell.

Bring on any P-61 48th scale kit!! Tamiya?? Hasegawa??

Bo