The Last Skyhawk, China Lake 1979

Bu No 160264 was the 2,960th and final Skyhawk to roll off the McDonnell Douglas production line in 1979. The aircraft survives today and has been restored back to it's original paint scheme, but I want to finish it as it appeared when at China Lake testing the new laser-guided AGM-65E Maverick as per this photo:

160264.jpg

Hasegawa actually released this aircraft as a model:

_57.jpg

The last 24 A-4M Skyhawks produced, had beefed up main gear and larger main landing gear fairings and gear doors and the legs had scissor links added. All of these parts are included in Hasegawa's boxing of 'The Last Skyhawk' - the only time I am aware that they have added the sprue containing the new gear parts to their Skyhawk models. I was not able to get the kit itself, but managed to get the spure and the decal sheet and used another A-4M boxing to build this aircraft.

Some interesting points to note and things that will need to be changed on the model:

- This aircraft never carried the red edges to the gear doors, which will make painting easier

- Arrestor hook was yellow and black stripes as opposed to white and black. May have had something to do with the unit the aircraft was assigned to: VMA-331

- ]Mavericks had alternate black and white fins, and even though the AGM-65E was being designed specifically for the USMC, the weapons carried US Air force titles

- ]The white on the decal sheet is Hasegawa's old creamy colour, so will be replacing all of the white decals (including the flags)

- When the aircraft was assigned to China Lake, the 'SKYHAWK' title on the tail had 'II' added in front

- Under the intakes a script was added which read 'The Last . . . .

of the Best!

A-4's Forever!'

Picked up a couple of sets of the Eduard Brassin 1/48 AGM-65 Mavericks to use as needed and one of them will end up on this jet. These weapons are stunning examples of the current state of resin production. I've cleaned up and assembled the weapons (no pics yet) and the finished missiles slide on to the weapons rail just as the 1:1 weapons do.

648151_4.png

I actually started this kit some time ago, before the Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M was available (really, it was released in 2004?!), so the forward fuselage and cockpit have incorporated some, but not all, parts from the Cutting Edge A-4M conversion and A-4M cockpit sets (forward fuselage/cockpit sides and APU exhausts, and side consoles and rear bulkhead respectively).

A-4M_CE-Conv-C1.jpg

cec48334reviewbg_1.jpg

When the Hasegawa A-4M was finally released, I replaced some of the Cutting Edge items with their Hasegawa equivalent, as the kit parts were more detailed and easier to work with.

I plan to remove the leading edge slat recesses and reattach them flush with the upper wing surface to remove the step which is not present on the real aircraft.

I'll also be incorporating the Master Models NATO refuelling probe as it is a better shaped than the kit part, and nothing looks like metal more than metal.

AM-48-033_1.jpg

Edited by CraigSargent

TwoMikes Escapac seat cushions painted and ready to be attached

1_2014-09-06.jpg

Cockpit base painted, washed and dry brushed. The rear bulkhead, side consoles and rear decking are Cutting Edge, the seat is TwoMikes. Still need to paint the consoles and the seat ejection handles.

8_2014-09-06.jpg

Eduard Brassin AGM-65 assembled and base coated gloss white.

2_2014-09-06.jpg

Wash and first round of filters added. Still have to paint alternate fins black and the noses orange-red so they will get some more light weathering after that is completed and decals applied.

9_2014-09-06.jpg

Wings assembled. Flap interiors have been painted, decalled and weathered. New fairing parts have been added to front of gear bays. Slat recesses were carefully removed and then reattached flush with the top of the wing to remove the step. Landing gear installed - note these are heavier gear legs and they have scissor links for the late model Super Mike landing gear.

3_2014-09-06.jpg

4_2014-09-06.jpg

Fuselages with Cutting Edge A-4M conversion resin cockpit inserts in place. This build was actually started before the Hasegawa A-4M was available. The putty is where I have added the top of the Hasegawa fuselage back in to take the Hasegawa instrument panel and the putty is to marry the contours of the Hasegawa parts to the Cutting Edge parts which seem to have a different profile. Cockpit sidewalls are painted and finished. The intakes have also received a coat of gloss white.

6_2014-09-06.jpg

5_2014-09-06.jpg

The exhaust which has been metalized and weathered - still need to paint the inner portion.

7_2014-09-06.jpg

The other sub-assemblies cleaned up and awaiting attachment - the hump and the hotdog for the fin tip. This also shows the new enlarged gear doors for the Super Mike.

10_2014-09-06.jpg

I'm actually enjoying this one so far, so making good progress.

Cockpit painted and finished. Intakes painted and installed, fuselage halves closed up, hump on, lumps and bumps added to the nose. Panel lines have all been cleaned up, spurious panels and fairings removed, refuelling probe and Master Models probe tip added. Little more cleanup around the front of the hump still to do. Had to add a little more Tamiya putty to the port fuselage side to correct profile. Still have to add instrument coaming.

11_2014-09-10.jpg

14.jpg

Nose with lumps and bumps added. Clear ARBS window will be painted over for this jet so no need to keep it clear.

12_2014-09-10.jpg

Tail with fin tip hotdog and trailing edge lumps and bumps added. Tailplanes with thinned trailing edges were also added. Removed the rudder for three reasons; 1) move rudder lower down to reduce gap; 2) thin trailing edge which is way too thick in scale; 3) add missing rudder extension at top of rudder. Still need to refine the speedbrake panel lines.

13.jpg

Rudder repositioned after thinning trailing edges and with extension added at the top.

16.jpg

Bit hard to see on this, but A-4s tend to have a rather prominent set of tread ridges so spun the wheels up in the Dremel and added 3 equally spaced grooves for tread on each tire. Will be easier to see once painted.

15.jpg

Edited by CraigSargent

I was with HMS-32 when the last A-4s were delivered to VMA-223 & 331. It was transferred back and forth between the two squadrons until the Bu No's and lot no. were sorted out. I believe that it finally ended up with 331 in the end. This was a great scheme and was referred to as the 'Easter Egg'. This one is on my to do list also so I am watching with interest. Looks great so far.

Semper Fi

Ralph

More progress - had a good few hours at the bench tonight, so been trying to get model to a point it's ready to paint by the end of the weekend if I can.

Almost finished tidying up the fuselage and the wings are now on. Few small seams which will need attending to. Note nose gear leg only inserted temporarily to keep model off it's nose.

23.jpg

Got some painting done on the arrestor hook - once yellow and black has dried, I'll mask the stripes and paint the hook and pivot/mount assembly white.

17.jpg

Drop tank cleaned up and with final coat of gloss white. Nice and clean ready for some light weathering, decals and the blue nose.

18.jpg

Wheels with some pure black, tire black and gunship grey shading. Will add a little more weathering but plan to keep wheels reasonably clean.

21.jpg

Got fin tip pitot installed and added missing small flange to upper copper wire antenna.

19.jpg

Cockpit instrument panel coaming installed and painted. Added some frames for the glass. Also redid the port side cockpit sill as it didn't marry up to the windscreen correctly. Doesn't show too well, but the coaming and HUD parts have had a wash and some filters added.

20.jpg

Underside showing cleaned up seams and amount of detail that has to be worked around here. Redrilled the hole for the arrestor hook in a better position. Chaff/flare dispensers also fitted.

22.jpg

Tomorrow, I hope to get everything masked ready to paint the undersides and gear bays and landing gear gloss white.

Edited by CraigSargent