Looking for "Penguin Flight" photos

Hi there.

I'm looking for any good, up close, photos of the 4 Wing Penguin tail art used on 3 tone camouflage T-33 Silver Stars in Baden. I ~think~ the NMF tail art is the same but would rather have the camo pictures if any is aware of any.

thanks

David

Hi there.

I'm looking for any good, up close, photos of the 4 Wing Penguin tail art used on 3 tone camouflage T-33 Silver Stars in Baden. I ~think~ the NMF tail art is the same but would rather have the camo pictures if any is aware of any.

thanks

David

This sounds interesting. What are you up to now? Whatever it is please do it in 1/32 for my CM kit.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm putting together the artwork for 1:32 and 1:48 Silver Star 3 tone camouflage schemes. I have the 'Snoopy' but can't find a good photo of the Penguin. I understand there was a 3rd tail art but I don't have any photos of that to know what it is. In the mean time, I'm doing the stencil stuff.

Not a penguin, but it might be useful? No idea where I got the pic from, but this tail art could be seen on a CT-133 visiting Ramstein in 1979.

CanadianStyle_zpsc08bdd12.jpg

Nice pic.

This is the "Kiwi" from Base flight Baden (GTTF), the Penguin was when Baden housed 4(W) with Sabres...

If Dave is thinking of doing Baden T-33s, I got a truck load of references on 1 GTTF birds... I would buy those in a moment !!!

133345-1.jpg

Edited by yvesff

That pretty much sums up what I'm doing. 3 tone camo Baden T-33s PRU Blue, sea grey, and green. The Kiwi is a good one. I probably have room for that on the sheet someplace.

Still need the penguin though.

Thanks

David,

I don't really want to digress from your initial post, but have you ever considered doing Golden Hawks markings for the SiverStar? I built Jack Allan's aircraft in 1/48 scale for a local museum display and it looks stunning in those markings.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom.

Yes I've considered it. The problem is that they've been done quite a lot over the years. I still might have a go at them though. Maybe there's a few people out there that don't already have a set.

David

David, the Sabres have been done considerably over the years, but I don't think the Silver Star has. I recall an old sheet (by ?) some 20-25 years ago but I don't think anyone has release a Golden Hawks T-33 since then (I don't think Leading Edge has ever released one). I may be wrong however (that does happen quite a bit). I would certainly buy one !!!

Gilles

Hi Tom.

Yes I've considered it. The problem is that they've been done quite a lot over the years. I still might have a go at them though. Maybe there's a few people out there that don't already have a set.

David

David,

Thanks for replying. Ventura did a 1/48 set for a GH Sabre (23459) and a T-Bird (21500). CanMil Air also does GH T-Bird decals. The problem with both of these sets is the T-Bird fuselage hawk decal is designed to fit a flat fuselage, or one that is slightly curved like the Sabre. When you put them on the T-Bird and try to fit them around the intake, the long hawk decal gets distorted. The decal needs to be designed for a specific model to fit and look proper. Here are a couple of pictures of my HobbyCraft T-33 I did for the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta. This 21500 that Wing Commander Jack Allan flew (he was born and raised in Nanton) when he was C/O of the Golden Hawks. Markings are a combination of the CanMil Air Golden Hawks T-33 and Leading Edge Golden Hawks Sabre sheets. Look at the white trim on the top and bottom above and below the intake and you'll see how out of shape it gets - it really destroys the look of the model. Looking at photos of the actual aircraft there are numerous other size and shape issues that can be pointed out too. There are enough pictures of the aircraft to get it right but it would require some manipulation to do that.

I did not bother doing the stall strips on the inner leading edge and the grey walkways could possibly be suspect. None of the photos I have show the topside of the wings to good effect but I was told it had light grey walkways.

Cheers,

Tom

17_zps77734858.jpg

18_zps38c9a0ca.jpg

Edited by Tom