Aires Su-27 exhaust question......

Sorry if this has been covered before. I searched the forum and google, and couldn't really find an answer. I've been building the Eduard reboxing of Academy's 1/48 Su-27. Since the kit exhaust nozzles look, well bad, I replaced them with a set of Aires nozzles. I noticed that the Aires nozzles seem to be too small. There is a step of about 1 to 1.5mm between the engine area, and the Aires nozzle. Is this normal for these nozzles, or did I just get a bad set?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I searched the forum and google, and couldn't really find an answer. I've been building the Eduard reboxing of Academy's 1/48 Su-27. Since the kit exhaust nozzles look, well bad, I replaced them with a set of Aires nozzles. I noticed that the Aires nozzles seem to be too small. There is a step of about 1 to 1.5mm between the engine area, and the Aires nozzle. Is this normal for these nozzles, or did I just get a bad set?

It is normal unfortunately. They are just too small.

That is why for my last build I gave a try to Northstar ones. They are more expensive and require much more work but they simply look much better and fit is again better, if you have enough patience to handle PE parts.

I hear you bro. Eduard + Aires = Pain

More like Eduard + Aires = Rough sex and you don't know the safe word to make it stop.

If my build turns out to be half as good as yours Crazy Snap Captain, I'll consider it a good build. If not, I'll be sending Eduard and Aires hate mail until the day I draw my final breath, okay, maybe it won't be that extreme, maybe.

Not if the master is too small, they don't. They can't. Their stuff is simply mastered VERY poorly. The detail is gorgeous, but the fit of the parts to the intended kit is more often than not impossibly bad. I won't buy any more of their stuff.

Not if the master is too small, they don't. They can't. Their stuff is simply mastered VERY poorly. The detail is gorgeous, but the fit of the parts to the intended kit is more often than not impossibly bad. I won't buy any more of their stuff.

I am not an expert on resin, but I don't think is a matter of the master this time, I believe it is resin shrinkage. I used the exhaust previously in a Su-27 and Su-35 few years ago and they fit perfectly in both cases. I am currently working in a Su-27UB and when I tried to use one of few sets I have, one was really small, but another was a little bit smaller that I was able to use them by sanding the kit a little bit at the bottom, I have not open the other two I have. I purchased those set maybe five years ago.

Juan

But masters are not too small....my personal experience.

In that case (or if you claim the small one and they send you the correct size - they do), the fit is more about your modeling experience and craftsmanship. Of course it is just for experienced modellers, not "shake & bake" stuffs.

Edited by PetrB

Based on what Solher1 and PetrB have been saying I'm not so sure this is common. I did purchase them in 2011 for another build, and have been sitting in my stash since then. Maybe they did shrink? I'll send an email to Aires describing the problem and maybe I'll get a pair of replacements, or I'll just buy a new set.

Although, I did use them a few years ago for my 1/72 Su-33 build. The main part was too large as I had to sand down the inside of the engine bays a bit, and the exhaust petals were a little too small. Nothing major though, it was barely noticeable.