Trumpeter 1:32 A-7E Corsair II

Hi Aigore, thanks! Good point -- I'll need to check the fit of the Zacto canopy and start from there since it's the least likely to distort. I need to look for it -- it's in a box somewhere. Then if I couldn't bend the resin frame I might have to cut the frame into several parts.

John, thanks! You should post your build so I can get inspiration from it : ) Hey, I wanted to do the scribing as well, but was studying this photo and it seemed like a very slightly (which might account for it not being visible in most photos) raised/embossed outline - like a smooth weld line - that's as best as I could describe the way it looks. I'm not sure if it's common to all A-7E's, though.

y4oSlzC.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/LTV-A-7E-Corsair/2455244/L/&sid=eacad2097dd2e9027b8c99ce343d7911

Hi, Joel, the pit looks good but actually I couldn't close up the front of the fuselage. I might shave off a bit more from the fuselage sides. I'm also looking at possibly breaking off the side panels and working on them separately -- but that will be my last option as the side detailing will definitely suffer. I've already broken those three rods on the cockpit tub floor trying to battle with pit : )

Are you going to pose the canopy open or closed? If it is going to be open you will not notice it at all, if it is going to be closed, then you have an issue!

As for my build, my progress is slow, coping with rescribing and correcting some fuselage issues, so it seems that i am going to be inspired by you, at least at resin stage :rolleyes:

John

Hi John, I'm going for the closed canopy.

I found the vacuformed canopy after an two-hour long search in the garage. Had to open every single box. Why is it always in the last place you look? But was I relieved that it showed up!

Ffg8THO.jpg

cQJMqkp.jpg

Prepping the edges. I didn't have any clay to pack it with as suggested. But even if I had any I wouldn't have used it as I was worried I wouldn't

know how to clean up the clay marks. I know when I was a kid I used the bare table top to roll my clay on and no amount of soaping would

remove the marks. Went slowly with the cutter around the edges.

txDTZmz.jpg

The canopy fit the profile of the cockpit ledges really nicely -- which means I'll have to find a way to shape the resin frame to it.

vZHWtFI.jpg

flb7ouu.jpg

Just needs some trimming at the front.

Yes fortunately it was a very good fit. I just need to do something about the Aires pit now. By the way the resin frame is meant to be stuck to the inside of the vac canopy which has outer frames depicted already (with rivet detailing). My question now would be what type of paint to use for the frames. Should I be using polycarbonate paint for RC bodies?

falcon20driver - that's good news, thanks! Hey, my SLUF's not doing too good.

hqqcBm2.jpg

Things have taken an ugly turn. I spent all night shaving the sides of the Aires pit but somehow it still wouldn't fit. In frustration I cut off (more

like broke off) the side panels. Then I realized what I'd done. Being remorseful isn't going to save it now. In hindsight I should've just shaved off

more material from the fuselage. Does anyone have a time machine?

GuAW0KJ.jpg

6SpcaYq.jpg

I've also read about the shape issues of the exhaust. I compared it to this Cybermodeler photo (http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-7/pages/pam_a-7d_10.shtml) and the trumpy's

does look a bit squashed.

Crackerjazz,

I sense your frustration. Been there, done that, had the same guilt trip. Some Super glue or epoxy will get you back to where you were.

Sorry for the double post. Just pm'd the mods to remove one.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

This is what I do to fit my pits. after you get it fairly close to fitting like you have it I take a piece of pastel chalk that I use for weathering and rub it all over the outside of the pit. I then put it in the fuselage and close it up tight with my fingers and try to move it around. I then take it out and look for the marks on the fuselage parts to see where it is rubbing and then sand either the pit or the fuselage side in that area. I then fit it again using the same process until there is no more interference. It usually takes a few times to get it to fit. This method keeps me from sanding away plastic or resin where I do not need to. it is kinda like when a dentist fits a crown. If you look at the pics you can see where I had the pastel on the pit to fit it for my Hornet build.

009_zps3e3cc2b2.jpg

008_zps49a1ea34.jpg

Hope that all makes sense.

Brandon

Crackerjazz,

I sense your frustration. Been there, done that, had the same guilt trip. Some Super glue or epoxy will get you back to where you were.

Sorry for the double post. Just pm'd the mods to remove one.

Joel

I can't decide which one to remove!

:)

Alvis 3.1

ARC Moderation Moderator

eydkRk5.jpg

Removed the bulletnose from the exhaust section.

lZB742Z.jpg

Didn't have the right styrene rod diameter so I wrapped some styrene sheet on a rod until I got the diameter I need.

Turned it on the lathe (er, drill).

QH4WtJn.jpg

J4BP5S2.jpg

Had to use some putty for the lines from the wrapped styrene that were showing.

dsTcrNd.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Hey, John, thanks! Joel - Sorry, that was an awful conversion. Gathered photos of the Allison TF-41 as I felt there was something wrong with my exhaust cone - my cone was just plain wrong, after all,

so I'm attempting to make a better one. I just don't know how much of this will be seen when it's done. I think it's only visible when you peek into the dark tailpipe with one eye :)

0MI57Tw.jpg

I think I know now where Trumpeter got its engine exhaust cone from --- They got it from the A-7A/B TF-30 engine:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=MTs75lKbFSIC&pg=PR2&lpg=PR2&dq=a-7+corsair+manual&source=bl&ots=sxP0VVzU-5&sig=GP8Kvp4g3LX1YEIxrVzxwTwHHOU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IDIvVNumJYb8yQTY44HoCQ&ved=0CEYQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=a-7%20corsair%20manual&f=false

YzWYAIC.jpg

The Allison TF-41 of the A-7D/E has a thicker exhaust cone:

bTh8xPv.jpg

http://www.enginehistory.org/G&jJBrossett/NMNA/Allison%20TF41-A-2.JPG

Also, I think I know what markings I want -- this one:

b1Q5qaO.jpg

http://www.victoryinstitute.net/blogs/utb/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/75591_10152366784265174_1511545820_n.jpg

But it's an A7-B so maybe I shouldn't have touched the D2 part to keep the TF-30. And I should probably embark now on researching

more about the A7-B and finding out what I need to do the conversion from an A-7E.

(Edit: Just saw this thread:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=275150

The cockpit looks so different! That will be the biggest issue -- Aires can you release an A-7B pit?

Oh well.....so much for thinking about a conversion.

Edited by crackerjazz

Crackerjazz,

That's one of the benefits of doing research. The solution to one issue more often then not leads to other details and improvements. So now you find yourself wanting to do a particular paint scheme, but will have to convert backwards from a E to a B. Here's the basic progression of the A-7 from A to E. Biggest differences is the cannon upgrade, an avionics.

From From Wikipedia:

A-7AFirst production version. Early USN Corsair IIs had two 20 mm Colt Mk 12 cannons with 250 rounds per gun. Maximum ordnance, carried primarily on the wing pylons, was theoretically 15,000 lb (6,804 kg), but was limited by maximum takeoff weight, so the full weapon load could only be carried with greatly reduced internal fuel; Equipped with AN/APN-153 navigational radar, AN/APQ-115 terrain following radar, and a separate AN/APQ-99 attack radar; 199 built.A-7BUprated TF30-P-8 engine with 12,190 lbf (54.2 kN) of thrust. In 1971, surviving A-7Bs were further upgraded to TF30-P-408 with 13,390 lbf (59.6 kN) of thrust; AN/APQ-115 terrain following radar in earlier A-7A is replaced by AN/APQ-116 terrain following radar; 196 built.A-7ENaval carrier-capable equivalent of the A-7D; AN/APN-185 navigational radar in earlier A-7D is replaced by AN/APN-190 navigational radar, AN/APQ-126 terrain following radar in earlier A-7D is replaced by AN/APQ-128 terrain following radar; 529 built.A-7D

Version built for the USAF, with one Allison TF41-A-1 turbofan, and a single M61 Vulcan 20 mm rotary cannon; AN/APN-153 navigational radar in earlier models is replaced by AN/APN-185 navigational radar, AN/APQ-116 terrain following radar in earlier A-7B/C is replaced by AN/APQ-126 terrain following radar; 459 built.Joel

Hi Joel, thanks for the info - I'm certainly learning a lot :)/>

Some progress shots on the Allison TF-41 exhaust section:

RJ7vpr3.jpg

FqLcxaT.jpg

kcHai1e.jpg

Just a few more details to add and I should be able to paint it. Now that I think of it, I should have painted the fan blades.

first :wacko:

Edited by crackerjazz

Hey Blue73, John, falcon20driver, thanks for your kind words, guys!

I don't know what those little pipes jutting out from the walls are but did those too anyway.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/don_busack/tf-41_a-7d/images/tf-41_a-7d_23_of_24.jpg

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/don_busack/tf-41_a-7d/images/tf-41_a-7d_22_of_24.jpg

Couldn't get the camera to focus on the blades and exhaust cone.

Tjw1ZeH.jpg

Very nice job Joe, i would love to see some more pics of your work on the exhaust section. Also keep in mind that you must thin the exhaust pipe, dont forget it was very thin in real life!

John