Hi guys, I'm building hasegawa's 747 and want to have the flaps and slats down. I'm struggling to find any information on the actual size of the trailing flaps so I've attached pictures of the dimensions that I require. Apologies for the amateurish drawings.

Any help would be appreciated

In-board mid and aft flaps:

Flapdimensions_zpse361d030.jpg

Out-board mid and aft flaps:

OutboardFlaps_zpsbb737df7.jpg

Don't forget to allow for how far extended you choose to do them.

First degree of travel is aft and not all sections appear at firts.

Full down has gaps between sections that are given distances, just like the flap sections themselves have given dimensions.

Full down also has the actuator fairings rotated at specific locations and the actuator arms are visible.

In other words, how accurate do you want it?

Only problem from what I can tell with Brad's flaps/slats is they weren't cast in RTV for production so we could all enjoy them! :thumbsup:/>

Funny. Back in the mid-1990s I wanted to get into the resin biz (to go with my LU airliner decals). I actually had a guy master a set of 727 flaps & slats, but it went nowhere because NO ONE was interested in buying them. Now it's all the rage.

Brad Shinn is the master of dropped flaps.

Brad is indeed the master. His work was the original inspiration for me to drop some flaps

Don't forget to allow for how far extended you choose to do them.

First degree of travel is aft and not all sections appear at firts.

Full down has gaps between sections that are given distances, just like the flap sections themselves have given dimensions.

Full down also has the actuator fairings rotated at specific locations and the actuator arms are visible.

In other words, how accurate do you want it?

I have several photos showing each position, so I can roughly gauge the position. My plan was to get some accurate dimensions in order to CAD and eventually 3d print not only the flaps but also the flap tracks, just so I didn't have to scratch build them each time. I have a few plans of the wings which I'll measure up against the Hasegawa kit and come up with something suitable (which I should've done but tried to take the lazy route).

Funny. Back in the mid-1990s I wanted to get into the resin biz (to go with my LU airliner decals). I actually had a guy master a set of 727 flaps & slats, but it went nowhere because NO ONE was interested in buying them. Now it's all the rage.

I was only a toddler in the mid '90's but I'm sure I would have been all for it. I just find clean airliners a tad boring. I also have a set of your excellent EVA air decals which I'll hopefully get around to doing with everything dropped.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Edited by naveedgt

Brad doesn't learn it from Boeing. Boeing learns it from Brad.

If Brad does something that doesn't reflect the real thing, then Boeing will correct the real thing on their next Performance Improvement Program. :P/>

I've tried to scratch build flaps for a 747 a while ago - still have them here, used thin sheets of styrene. But honestly, I don't think it was worth picking an old Revell B747-100 and have its wings chopped down just to put them on it. Refered to Frank "The OldHooker" guide to flapping down a 747 for the job, plus pictures of Brad's works.

I merely measured their length spanwise, chordwise was sort of "eyeballing" it, as Jennings put it.

I highly encourage anyone to try it, it's definitely not as difficult as it seems. If my kit was Revell's LH B744, it would have been cut.

Regards

Eduardo

I'm doing a 757 with dropped flaps at the moment. You just have to look at photos very carefully to understand how they work and what parts you have to remove from the kit's wings (do this before you attach the lower and upper halves). The most tricky part to me is sanding a realistic profile into them to not make them look like plain pieces of styrene sheet. That's where I went wrong a little on my previous attempt. Also, extended flaps means that you have to make extended leading edge slats as well. They are a bit more tricky to look realistic.

Here's my first (and last, as long as the 757 isn't finished yet) attempt. Look at the trailing edges which are too thick. I should have sanded them thinner. Also, it could have used more details of all tubing and wiring that's visible when the spoilers are up.

736af9.jpg

Krueger leading edge flaps - they are quite complicated. The 737 only has them between the fuselage and the engine, but the 747 has them across the entire leading edge. They do not just slide forward and down from the top of the wing, but they hinge from the bottom and curve.

736af6.jpg

736af10.jpg

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman
  • 1 year later...

Hi naveedgt, there's a gentleman here who sells a resin conversion kit for 747-200 and 747-400. Send a pm to AV O. The 1/200 flaps kit includes all the airfoils and actuators required for your flaps-down build. The parts are just fantastic! It will definitely save you a tremendous amount of time and hassle from researching, measuring and scratchbuilding.

Edited by crackerjazz

I'm in the starting efforts to scratch build flaps for a 1/100 scale 747. The 1/200 efforts above are excellent. In taking on a task like this, going through the motions of dropping them is not enough. Attention to scale, size, shape, and spacing between components allows a modeler to pull this off... Also with basic skills in gluing and painting to pull it all together.

Many times I've seem modelers expect the grand award for just doing the deed when the attention to detail and workmanship we lacking.

Tracy

• 1 month later...

Just to give a quick update, I have created the inboard flaps using solidworks based on proportions from the real aircraft and the dimensions based on the hasegawa kit (which has a few inaccuracies concerning the wings). This includes each of the 3 elements with accurate location for the flap tracks, which I have also created in take off and full flap down configurations. The next step is to create the outboard and leading edge flaps. Unfortunately work has meant I've had to pause this small project for the while. I'll try posting a few pictures later on if I can.

I also I must add that the research and design work has been so enjoyable that I'm planning to do the same work for the recent 1/144 airliners from zvezda and revell.

Edited by naveedgt
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi all. 6 years later, this guy here wants to do the same.

I just found an old Hasegawa B744 and would want to build a taking off pose of this plane in Singapore Airlines livery. 
Can anyone point me to the link to purchase the 1/200 flaps and slats?