Falcon20Driver,

Your cockpit looks fantastic. The dry brushing just brought it to life as it tied all the various elements together. Well done my friend.

Love your work schedule. I would kill for something like that. I only work 4 day per week now as I'm semi retired, yet end up working nearly full time filling in the gabs at work due to sickness and company needs.

Joel

Hey Falcon no need to ask forgiveness from anyone thinking they know everything about the Tomcat and I hope you didnt take my comment as a way of me saying I know this! I love the way the Tomcat would look with both engine nozzles in the open position and for all I know there could have been a time or two that they were both open. I only asked that question because I really love the look of the A model engine nozzles and would love to get a set or two in the future! This is your model and you build it however you want to. Cant wait to see more! Happy flying!

Jman, I hope I didn't come off as rude in my post. I just wanted to explain why I was doing it the way I was. I know the Tomcat is a beloved favorite of many people (me included) second only to the mighty Tweet of course. I'm always happy to hear nuggets of wisdom concerning the aircraft I build. I wanted to acknowledge some of the inaccuracies I would have in my build and why I was chosing them. I hope you keep checking in on my build! Joel, thanks for the compliments. As I continue to learn this hobby, I'm beginning to understand the importance of lighting effects. I've really enjoyed the early lessons of washes and dry brushing and their effect on the build. All of these tricks have been learnt from the fine folks of ARC. Thanks guys!

Jman, I hope I didn't come off as rude in my post. I just wanted to explain why I was doing it the way I was. I know the Tomcat is a beloved favorite of many people (me included) second only to the mighty Tweet of course. I'm always happy to hear nuggets of wisdom concerning the aircraft I build. I wanted to acknowledge some of the inaccuracies I would have in my build and why I was chosing them. I hope you keep checking in on my build! Joel, thanks for the compliments. As I continue to learn this hobby, I'm beginning to understand the importance of lighting effects. I've really enjoyed the early lessons of washes and dry brushing and their effect on the build. All of these tricks have been learnt from the fine folks of ARC. Thanks guys!

Falcon20driver,

Believe me, you're builds are right up there.

Joel

falcon i want to know about hte base that you made like is the shape pre made? where did you get it from where did you get the paint colors from and how did you match them and where is a good place to get the squadron logos from?

Thanks a lot for all the nice comments gents. I'm really looking forward to getting a lot done next time I'm home. Catfan, I always buy my bases pre-cut (so far). I buy them from a couple places including hobby lobby, michaels, and wal-mart. Each store seems to have different designs and sizes and I just wait till I see one that jumps out at me for the current build. As for the paint colors, I stood in the rattle can paint section of home depot staring at the colors trying to decide which blue looked best, probably mumbling to myself and scaring anyone nearby. In the end I picked the darkest blue I could find and said "good enough"! The squadron logos came from Google and were just printed out on the home printer. One thing I learnt on my first attempt at using the resin awhile back was the need to securely glue the squadron logos. If you don't the resin will pull them up from the wood and then it just looks wonky. The method I use is:

1)do a final sanding on the base before painting since there is usually some rough spots.

2) paint as needed. In this case, yellow then mask off the lines then blue.

3) glue on logos. I use an elmers glue stick that claims to be extra strong for crafts. I set heavy books on the logos while they dry to help keep the bond strong.

4) I spray on a coat of resin from a rattle can. This is a thing coat that helps seal on the logos and helps prevent air bubbles from forming in the pour on resin.

5) apply pour on resin. I usually apply one to two coats

6) final sanding to smooth out resin that dripped down the sides then usually a flat black paint on the edges.

Hopefully that provides some good info, and feel free to ask if I missed anything.

Goodness -the F-14 bar gets higher all the time! Look at that cockpit!

As I have an obsession with ejection seats that borders on the downright weird (maybe latent sub tendencies -all those harnesses :woot.gif: !), I thought the seat squab/back pad should be a sort of grey/green. But noooo...a quick Google reveals that there are trim options in the Grumman catalogue, and you can even mix 'n' match!

This kitty is going to look magnificent!

Falcon20Driver,

Your method for painting the base sounds easy enough even for me to follow. Will be trying it out for my P-38L build, as I really don't want to do the usual green grass deal. I'd like to try showing the models on a base, and not just seating on a display case shelf. Had to chuckle when I read about mumbling to yourself in Home Depot. I do that all the time when I'm trying to find a sales person with some actual knowledge. Last time it was in the plumbing dept. Being a home owner makes one wear all sorts of different hats on a need only basis. BANGHEAD2.jpg/>

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

You rude motha......., LOL!!!!! Falcon not once did I take your post being rude! Just hope I didnt sound like a Tomcat nazi. Love watching you build this beautiful plane and until she is done I will keep looking in on her from time to time!!!!!

ChippyWho thanks for the compliments. I understand your excitement for ejection seats, they're one of my favorite parts of each build. I picked the colors I did for the seats mostly from pictures in my reference book and from the main ARC page walk around section.

Joel, I'll be glad to see your display base with the P-38 build.

JMan, we good! I hate the inability to inflect tone in post, it can certainly cause some misunderstandings.

Looks like I'm off to Greenland for a couple days (certainly not of my own choosing). Hopefully the hotel will have good internet so I can get my ARC fix!

This is some beautiful work. I started this kit and wound up having to set it down. All me I know... I think I goofed up the install of the cockpit tub...not sure.

You're base is stunning. I cannot wait to see this one come together.

• 2 weeks later...

jinmmydel and Fighting Eighty Four, thanks for following along and providing the positive feedback. I returned home last night, and was able to start getting a little work done today. I have installed the cockpit and joined the front fuselage halves, I cleaned up the slats with a little CA because I found a few not so smooth spots hiding. There is a minor issue with the inner canopy locks that I need to figure out, which was entirely my fault. I hope to get some more work done on the nose in the next few days as well as priming the wings. Hopefully I can get some pictures up in a day or two!

Here we go! I spent most of the day working on the Tomcat. First item up was fixing the resin exhaust shape. I used a recommended technique of hot and cold water to reshape them. It was super easy:

20141102_202109-1_zps804daac3.jpg

Then I had to remove and reinstall the canopy locks because of a stupid mistake with the Aires pit. One of these days I'll learn!

Then it was on to the lower fuselage. It took me all afternoon to work on one intake, and that one side still isn't complete. The biggest issue was a step that had to be dealt with:

20141103_124741_zps44b56ced.jpg

A little elbow grease and CA took care of the step though:

20141103_143809_zps3afbfe63.jpg

I also installed the Steel Beach mid-life update sensor on the nose. Honestly I don't know what type of sensor it is, but the bird I'm building has it.

20141103_144643_zps04989aa4.jpg

I might try to get some primer on the wings in a bit, but besides that the main focus now is building up the lower fuselage. Thanks for checking in!

She's looking really good falcon20driver.

The resin part is called the TCS camera pod or chin pod. It contains a red position light, an AN / ALQ-100 ECM antenna and, a Tatical Camera System (TCS), which allowed the aircrew to visually identify their targets at long range.

Steve

Missed the re-shaping part. Is it the exhaust that you had to dunk in hot then cold water?

Yes, the exhaust tubes were squished in the package and needed to be reshaped to their correct round shape. I brough the water to just below a boil, dunked the parts in for a few seconds then removed them and squeezed them to the proper shape as I submerged them in the ice water. Worked great!

I got the wings primed this evening, and as usual the paint doesn't lie. So, tomorrow's plan is continued work on the lower fuselage and attacking the wing's issues with CA and Mr. Surfacer. On the plus side, the primer showed my corrections on the nose access panels are nice and clean. I should have some more pictures up tomorrow night. I apologize in advance because I'm getting into the boring sanding/filling stages.

Thanks Joel, its always nice when a step isn't too difficult to remove.

Longmc, I think for the most part you'll enjoy the kit. I promise to make all the mistakes possible so you don't have too!

A-10 loader, thanks for the info! I had just read about that TCS system in a book recently, but didn't realize that's what it was. You learn something everday.

Falcon20driver,

Body work always takes a lot of time & effort, yet there isn't much one can post with pictures as it's mostly going over and over the same problems till you get it right. But when you do post pictures of the "ready for priming or paint", we all know what you've gone through to get to that point. I've just reached that point with my P-38L build, so I really sense your frustration, as I also have next to nothing to post, yet I'm putting in the time.

Joel