Odyssey Dawn Viper WIP : Block 60 Desert Viper

Fantastic build! I'm taking notes because I'm planning to do the exact same thing ( Hasegawa F-16E + Tamiya F-16CJ ).

By the way, I don't know if it's just me but some of your pictures seem to be missing ( post #4 & post #24). It would be good if I could see them because they might be useful for my build.

Hi Jackman,

I 've fixed the pictures at hosting web. Hope they show up.

ItGGRb.JPG

VNHE1D.JPG

I use Deluxe Putty to fill the gaps. It is easily wiped off the excess with soaked cotton swab.

I added small vents the right side of fuselage. frBQUm.JPG

this one is near the rudder. I think this scope/vent is the reason Tamiya has separate part for this panel.

may be Tamiya would release Block60 I the future. But before that, please launch two seater.

wyiK1v.JPG

The ventral one that Tamiya forget.

Edited by polar bear

Formation light

Original F-16s do not have any formation light. But UAE F-16s are equipped with combined slime and IR formation lights.

Hasegawa provides decals for these lights. I substitute them with thin plastic sheets.

at the dorsal:

Z3bmKh.jpg

IIt476.JPG

over the wings:

jRaN3M.jpg

uoxRcT.JPG

under the wings, two per side:

oxDPHr.jpg

o8ClIJ.JPG

my reference showed a L- shape plate just after the nose landing bay. Hasegawa provides decal for it.

I think it is a formation light as well. I replicated with vinyl sticker.

K41jnf.jpg

LTOYjJ.jpg

ElbXtM.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice looking build, PB! I have a question. The putty that you used, you mentioned wiping away the excess with a soaked Q-Tip. What did you soak the Q-Tip with, and did you have to do any sanding afterwards?

Hi Nimrod,

I used GSI Mr.Surfacer 1500. It is medium gray and has fine grain. Once it's dry, it gives a thin smooth surface and does not cover small panel lines and rivets. It is thinned by GSI leveling thinner to consistency of milk.

GSI also provides surfacers in many color such as black (good for metallic color) and red brown (like a real Germany AFV primer).

Only disadvantage of Mr.Surfacer 1500 is unable to cover some obvious scratch and sanding mark. The 1000-1200 grain cover better but they seem to cover most of details as well.

Regards.

Edited by polar bear
  • 3 weeks later...

painting time!

light color after preshading

yFBUYx.JPG

Hasegawa's manual indicates the key colors are Mr.Color C308 and C338.

Compare to the real aircraft, The C308 is too light.

I use C307 instead.

mtbKtD.JPG

3JkR2A.JPG

zUQsm8.JPG

BKi0i2.JPG

I Also add some Mr.Color Super Stainless Steel into base paint to create HG sheen.

More masking and painting to go!

Edited by polar bear

Nat,

this camo look beautiful!

I've recently read this book,and to answer at your previous ask,the 99% of the pics show the UAEAF birds in CAP configuration,but one image depict the only deployed F-16F armed with two tanks,and two each AMRAAM,Aim-9 and GBU-12,probably referred to an late war stage.

If you're interested,I can send you a PM with the pics.

Gianni

Nat,

this camo look beautiful!

I've recently read this book,and to answer at your previous ask,the 99% of the pics show the UAEAF birds in CAP configuration,but one image depict the only deployed F-16F armed with two tanks,and two each AMRAAM,Aim-9 and GBU-12,probably referred to an late war stage.

If you're interested,I can send you a PM with the pics.

Gianni

Hi Gianni,

Sure, I am interesting for your offering. Thanks so much.

I am planning to build F-16F with PIDS pylon and SNIPER pod in anti-ISIS mission.

I have just seen F-16E with SNIPER on 5R but no any bomb under her wings in recent issue of Airforces monthly.

So, GBU-12 would be a good choice.

N.

Edited by polar bear

Gianni, I got the pictures. They are superb and very inspire fro my next project. Thanks.

Back to Desert Viper, next is panel wash and some weathering.

buonLV.JPG

SiWNMi.JPG

LOo8gA.JPG

ygXVTe.JPG

ar3es2.JPG

I think she is still clean. I 'll try more weathering.

P.S. I really love the way Tamiya produce their model. After weathering you can see every rivets show up!

Edited by polar bear

Much nicer to see the pictures. Excellent work! Really inspiring.

Is that book you all mentioned worth the purchase or just rehashing AP photos into one source??

Thanks!

Jeff