Trumpeter F-106 Quick Review

I just got the first of two of these kits I've ordered. I don't post much to avoid all the pissyness but since I've been waiting for this kit, love this jet and there has been a fair amount already posted, I thought I'd jump in there. The last review I did was the Academy F-4B which to me was like throwing a rock at a wasp nest. But hey, I'm in a mood. Disclaimer: I don't know a quarter inch from a quarter of a mile and only have a really keen eye for the female figure not jet intake lips. But, I was an aircraft maintenance officer and can tell the pointy end is usually the nose on most airplanes!!! That being said my career brought me super close to tweets, talons (my first love), F-4s (another love), F-16s (yawn), a little F-15 "Ego jet" and the " F- Wonder Lemmon", the last two in flight test out at Holloman. I was one of those guys that crawled all over everything that came through transit or the test group ramp at Holloman where I worked and there was some really interesting stuff on the "north side" as it were... Class 2 mod city! OK, enough of the bona fides. I really got close up to the six at an airshow at Reese, a 5th FIS bird and then at Nellis during a Red Flag just before they went away. I took loads of piccys, then lost them all! So, how's the kit. In a nut shell it looks nice. I'll contrast this one to the good old Monogram kit which I still remember waiting for with great anticipation. First, one thing Trump (not Donald) gets right is packaging and clean molding. Everything is perfect here and the parts are super clean with very fine recessed detail and hinge nodes vs the raised detail on generation one '106. I like the split fuselage of Trump vs the top/ bottom design which caused me problems when getting rid of the seam on the aft fuselage without not only removing detail bit altering the cross section. That shouldn't be an issue on the new guy. The rest of the breakdown is like Mono pretty much, i.e. separate radome, speed brakes missile bay doors etc. Here's an interesting contrast: the gear wells, weapons bay and cockpit though nicely detailed and adequate for most are not as accurate or complete as Monogram which had all that stuff done and done right. Trump kinda copied Mono but left some detail out. The resin guys will undoubtedly come in to play here. The cockpit barely gets a pass, is totally bogus especially in side wall detail and consoles. The main instrument panel is salvageable. I can't live with the cockpit as is though. The splitter on the glare shield has a totally weird looking optical sight kinda thingy hanging there like a limp you know what...it's gotta go too. The dual hand control stick is OK and the seat is OK but will be replaced when I slap this thing together. This pressing comes with only the blown canopy and it is clear as a bell and looks properly bulged. It has a separate frame and internal structure with some detail like the cabin pressure safety valve which was a prominent feature. Don't know what you'll do if you want a pre-1970s jet as far as the canopy goes.The landing gear including drag braces, actuators and torque links look quite nice and correct. There's something a little off about the wheels and tires. They are not as nicely detailed as Mono but will be fine, or hey, rob those from Mono along with the cockpit! Trump does include a nice aspirator (what the thing that looked like a rocket engine nozzle sticking out of the back was called) a nice a/b nozzle and a/b liner but a rather weak flame holder. The external lights are all separate bits as are some antenna detail. The arresting hook shoe is kinda narrow but is very clean (that's a real nit). Interestingly the data link antennas under the aft fuselage are really thick, I mean like two by fours, not blade antennas, but they can be whittled down or replaced altogether i guess. The decals look sharp and correct in colors for two ANG birds, New Jersey and Jax. Don't know why they wouldn't do an active duty jet. I guess that will be the old style canopy release or maybe the "family model". Oh, you do get two externals and a compliment of falcons and a genie that look good and can be done up hanging on their trapeze launch rails

OK, I'm feeling like Steve Canyon right about now. Thing is, I just tore in to the GWH F-15C and wow, what a really beautiful kit that is. In closing, This offering of the '6 is super nice, overall is a step up from Mono and hopefully will pass the "so what test" with the slide rule guys. By the way, I'm thinking the best drawings might be the ones in the old Burin Do '106 book from way back. They look good to me anyway.

Hopefully it is something Quickboost could correct.

Here's a radical idea (for Trumpeter): Do some basic effing research *before* you tool the kit so Quickboost doesn't *have* to fix your stupid, boneheaded, totally preventable boob-job of a kit.

I know, I know, that's really radical. Silly me.

Here's a radical idea (for Trumpeter): Do some basic effing research *before* you tool the kit so Quickboost doesn't *have* to fix your stupid, boneheaded, totally preventable boob-job of a kit.

I know, I know, that's really radical. Silly me.

Do you say the same thing when other companies mess up kits, or do you save your venom up especially for Trumpeter? Did they take your lunch money or kick your puppy as a child? Is that the reason for all the hate?

Do you say the same thing when other companies mess up kits, or do you save your venom up especially for Trumpeter?

Companies like Avant-garde, Great Wall Hobby, Kinetic and Kitty Hawk listen (now at least) to people who noticed some issues in CAD models and sometimes modify their models accordingly. Trumpeter/Hobby Boss doesn't seem to care.

Jennings,

Have YOU actually seen the kit yet ?

There is more than one on Facebook pages being built, most are being put together by published English Modelers, one is being built by I think Mike V of the States.

I thought the Facebook paes were all public forums, I will see if I can post links.

There is more than one on Facebook pages being built, most are being put together by published English Modelers, one is being built by I think Mike V of the States.

I thought the Facebook paes were all public forums, I will see if I can post links.

yep, mike is doing the build with photo's on facebook. his page isn't locked. he isn't a crazy accuracy freak but did point out the nose profile being off along with intakes.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Two-Mikes-Resin-Accessories/292079953801?ref=br_tf

Edited by randypandy831

Companies like Avant-garde, Great Wall Hobby, Kinetic and Kitty Hawk listen (now at least) to people who noticed some issues in CAD models and sometimes modify their models accordingly. Trumpeter/Hobby Boss doesn't seem to care.

So, you're saying only Chinese companies apply? Not Revell, who keeps messing up their kits, or Hasegawa, or Dragon, Eduard, MPM? Seems like Trumpeter gets the constant fire hose of negativity on here, usually sight unseen. And people were pretty much calling for Kitty Hawk to shut down after the MiG-25 and Texan kits.

So, you're saying only Chinese companies apply?

No. MPM accepts feedback and implements fixes if they can afford to.

Not Revell, who keeps messing up their kits

The Tornado's bad ? Each kit of the same company has its own development history as the refererence material quality isn't the same, the project manager may not be the same, the external contributors won't be the same. However...

... or Hasegawa, or Dragon, Eduard ?

... there are common things...company strategy regarding:

- the importance of accuracy

- communication (superlative-type, modest-type, proselytic-type...)

- how are the external contributors used

And people were pretty much calling for Kitty Hawk to shut down after the MiG-25 and Texan kits.

Indeed but they've changed the model development phase. Harold and others have assisted them on the F-84 for example.

Jennings,

Have YOU actually seen the kit yet ?

There have been comparison photos of the intakes (Trumpy and the real thing) posted in an earlier ARC forum thread (currently on pg. 4) since August 20 or so. The Trumpy intakes certainly look off to me.

The Tornado's bad ? Each kit of the same company has its own development history as the refererence material quality isn't the same, the project manager may not be the same, the external contributors won't be the same. However...

Yes, the sweep angle is wrong, and people are reporting inaccuracies around the wing area.

But they had big issues with the Halifax, Lanc, He-219, Spitfire, Mosquito, Me-109, etc. The reasons provided apply the same to Trumpeter as they apply to Revell. Reference material isn't the same quality, project manager might not be the same, external contributors won't be the same.

The rest... but of course! Now I must wait 30 seconds to post!

TrumpeterF106ASprueDecals.JPG

TrumpeterF106ASprueE.JPG

TrumpeterF106ASprueFfront.JPG

TrumpeterF106ASprueFrear.JPG

TrumpeterF106ASprueGH.JPG

TrumpeterF106ASprueK.JPG

TrumpeterF106ASpruePE.JPG

It looks great on the sprues and the panel lines are well done but not perfect (as with any kit). I already see some areas for improvement but nothing major so far.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

From an avid modeler, historian, and (oh yeah) F-106 pilot:

Typical Chinese kit. Lots of incorrect shapes, fake panel lines, etc,

etc. Throw away the AIM-4s and Genie, the intakes are much too square and

the upper lip comes too far forward - at least you can cut that back - not

sure there is enough plastic to round the edges enough though and PLEASE

thin down those thick lips..... Piano hinges on the weapons doors appear

far too large, weapons bay door panel lines are incorrect / fake. Cutouts

in the wing for the elevon hinges are going to be a pain to fill in and I

suspect that you will be using a fair amount of putty on the kit....

Pretty much the same parts breakdown as the Monogram kit except for the

fuselage - which means they give you the insert for the aerial refueling

receptacle, but not the one for the pre-A/R heat exhaust vent.... From the

box you can only accurately model a c.1971-1980 jet which is a shame. They

did not include the previously mentioned early spine vent, early canopy,

early external fuel tanks, early main wheels or give the option for the later gun

mods - HUD & yaw sensor in particular, much less the pod.