Trumpeter F-106 Quick Review

Its amazing how people get so worked up by this hobby..... I personally like trumpeter.... While they do make some doozies here and there.... They are the only game in town as far as 1/32 scale is concerned on several diff kits..... Since I built mainly large scale planes... I have learned that part of the fun is researching and improving on wat are generally very solid kits... that go together well. I cant stand kits that's parts dont even fit together.. they use good styrene....and have strong parts.... Tamiya is marginally better on the large scale.... But I can work a trumpy kit up.....

Yes kits like GWH have shown how nice kits can be made... but I heard just as much complaining about errors from the usual complainers.... Most of us are doing this for enjoyment....

The majority of people buying these kits arent superdetailers, competitors... etc... they are catering to the majority of their clientele.... to exhaustively research these projects would probably be a poor business decision..... there is a reason why companies like trumpeter are HUGE.... and the ones that overly detail projects arent... its a feasability issue.... Im sure if they spent alot of resources researching and getting a kit right the same people would complian about the kit cost.... LOL

Well... Not to be "that guy" - but they did put the nose gear in the wrong position :) (should be at the back of the well...) Probably just installed it backwards.

Too bad "TwoMikes" isn't producing the intake covers for the 'Six anymore...

Hitch

I have my eyes on some Revell/Monogram Delta Darts over on eBay. If I get one at the price I want to pay, I will post comparison photographs.

Please let me know if you can see the images as work blocks them and I am going by text only.

I have decided to build both aircraft. The Trumpeter kit will be in the shark mouth scheme with upgrades from the Monogram kit while I will build the Monogram kit for my son with the replaced Trumpeter parts. The Monogram kit will be built in flight with the missile bay open and the trapeze down preparing to launch a missile while the Trumpeter kit will have the missile bay, RATO bay, and speed brakes closed. I don't understand these gimmicks that destroy the beautiful lines of a sleek aircraft but at least the Trumpeter kit will allow for the missile bay to be closed up. The RATO bay and speed brakes will require work.

Aside from adapting the left over Trumpeter parts, the Monogram kit will require work to make it in flight as it was designed to display on the ground. On to the comparison photographs!

The Trumpeter missile bay has a very slight edge in detail over the Monogram kit (see sidewalls and the detail which is molded into the part on the Monogram kit is separate on Trumpeter's kit):

CTA2004.JPG

Personally, I don't like either instrument panel. The Monogram one looks to be more in scale but the raised dials and needles are unacceptable to me. The Trumpeter instruments look slightly over scale with the visor not deep enough.CTA2011.JPG

A comparison of the ejection seats. Monogram's may only have three parts but it is far more detailed that Trumpeter's with 5 parts and 8 PE belts. However, these details are molded on and reminiscent of the technology from 30 years ago.

CTA2010.JPG

Here is where there will be work. Monogram's intake on Trumpeter's fuselage shows that Trumpeter's intake trunks are slope shouldered instead of square shouldered as in the Monogram kit. The issue is not as bad as it seems in the photograph as the parts are loose and, if you look at the next photograph, you can see that the top edge of the Monogram part pulled away.CTA2009.JPG

Here we see the Monogram intake over the Trumpeter inner intake wall attached to the Trumpeter fuselage.CTA2008.JPG

The Trumpeter full depth afterburner can seems better (I don't know if it is accurate but it is the part I will be using):CTA2007.JPG

The two cockpits. Trumpeter's may look wider but, after adding the sidewalls to the Monogram kit (which Trumpeter lacks), I believe that the cockpits are interchangeable. I prefer the Monogram cockpit. Note the difference in the location of the rudder pedals.CTA2006.JPG

Here I am comparing the Monogram (below) supersonic tanks to the Trumpeter parts (above). Note the difference at the aft end.CTA2005.JPG

For a model over 30 years old, the Monogram main gear bay has more molded in detail than the separate Trumpeter bay!CTA2003.JPG

Note that I will be building my models for a fund raiser on another site and will not be posting images of the builds anywhere else. I can, and will, post images of details.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
Originally I disparaged the cockpit in Trump. Actually the console detail comes reasonably close and I've decided to use it on my first model and add embellishments. I stick with my opinion of the seat. It's gonna get a True Detail replacement. I haven't decide what to do with the sidewalls; Trump's are totally unsat. Oh, I compared cockpit tubs 3 ways, Black Box, Mono's and Trump's. Using my Dash 1 as a reference, the Mono kit part is the most accurate followed by Black Box. The Black Box stick is best as are their side walls, decking behind the seat and their glare shield. As far as the AIM 4s and AIR 2, again very, very close in dimensions but Trumps has more detail and the IR seeker head for the AIM 4 is provided as a clear part. I stick to my original comment on quality of molding on Trump, it's cleaner, sharper; Mono is a little spongy here and there although there is more complete gear well and missle bay detail in Mono but not by light years.

First off BillS, my apologies for not thanking you earlier for this post. Since I did post images to support your assessment, you should be aware that I not only read it, I printed it out for reference. I have tried unsuccessfully to find a Black Box cockpit. I would love to see it but the only images I have found aren't clear enough to see details.

Regards,

• 2 months later...

I realize this is a bit f a late post, but in reference to the rudder pedals comment: The F-15 and F-16 rudder pedals could be adjusted for pilot height by moving backwards and forward. I am guessing it was the same for the 106.