48th scale Aerial Delivery Containers

Does anyone make a 1:48th scale representation of this type of store? I am referring to the containers that were mounted externally on aircraft such as the C-47 for delivering the various pieces of equipment and kit that was too heavy to jump with. The same containers were also carried internally by the B-24 Liberators assigned to the Carpet Bagger mission delivering equipment to the resistance and SOE/OSS.

Are you talking about these https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_1DL4epaf3LPZC4QqW9T7zRxMVuqW9OzFWTBMj4mSG0aaf3Sh

Or the cylindrical type hard case?

Cheers

Either one would be nice but the hard case para-containers developed by the British would be the preferred version as that version was most often seen in use with the CarpetBagger mission aircraft. The hard case cylindrical versions are available in 1:35th scale as metal, resin, and plastic. Seems a shame that no one has considered casting these things up in 1:48th scale or smaller.

From what I have found so far in research there are more than one type of external stores carriage and release for the containers. The later version you show in the above image has the aerodynamic fairings and a rather substantial framework that attaches to the underside of the aircraft. Some images found of the Light Equipment Containers show something much less elaborate in design on the RAF Dakotas. The Monogram insert with building tips by Shepard Paine describes how to build the light equipment containers but does not show much else on the racks that were attached to the model.

The aerodynamic fairings and support structure was a later development by the U.S. The simple release units seen on the RAF Dakotas was I believe a British development. Both types would be nice plus the different container types to build a US or Allied C-47/Dakota.

jeffreyfontain,

First I looked (unsuccessfully) for my hard copy of this... Then I searched the inter-web and found it...

http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/c47.htm

A small drawing and written description for making the containers are in this article.

Edit: DOH!! I see you have access to this information already.

C2j

Edited by Cubs2jets
jeffreyfontain,

First I looked (unsuccessfully) for my hard copy of this... Then I searched the inter-web and found it...

http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/c47.htm

A small drawing and written description for making the containers are in this article.

Edit: DOH!! I see you have access to this information already.

C2j

The Sheperd Paine article was one of the first documents I referred to since it was included with my Monogram C-47 kit. It was enough to get my interest piqued but it lacks any decent details on how the things were attached to the aircraft. There are bomb shackles with some kind of reinforcing material attached to the aircraft for support but you do not get an underside view of the aircraft showing these details and there are no helpful WIP images showing these features. What is most unfortunate is that the completed diorama shows only a portion of one container attached to the aircraft in the background and no details beyond that.

***Edit to correct spelling error. :\

Edited by jeffryfontaine
  • 2 weeks later...