Cleaning paint.

I was sure I posted this before, but I could not find it, unless it was on a different site. Oh well.

I've got Academy's 1/350 scale RMS Titanic that I purchased many years ago and did start it at one point. But I had used enamels and well, at that time my painting skills were not that great. I only got a couple of deck pieces painted in the 'wood' color but wish to start over. Anyone have any ideas about how to clean the old paint off and restart? Or should I just find a good primer and go from there?

Thanks,

Doug

Go to the drug store and get you a bottle of 91% alcohol . It should just brush it right off.

This, so much this. 91% isopropyl alcohol is like a thermonuclear bomb when it comes to removing paint. Plus it's dirt cheap. I use it to clean my airbrush all the time.

Edited by shake zula the mic rula

Go to the drug store and get you a bottle of 91% alcohol . It should just brush it right off.

I dont think this will work on enamel paint

i use oven cleaner to strip enamel or car brake fluid. but dont leave that stuff on too long it will soften the plastic.

when using oven cleaner i normally spray , brush with an old tooth brush, rinse , repeat has needed

Edited by Neo

Isopropyl Alcohol will have little to no effect on old dried on enamel paint, that's why you weather with non compatible bases, so that you don't remove the previous layer of paint. You could soak the decks in Odorless Mineral Spirits, and use a soft toothbrush to work the paint loose.

Joel

I dont think this will work on enamel paint

i use oven cleaner to strip enamel or car brake fluid. but dont leave that stuff on too long it will soften the plastic.

when using oven cleaner i normally spray , brush with an old tooth brush, rinse , repeat has needed

These are the two I recommend also, one other trick you can do is when spraying oven cleaner, cover the parts with plastic wrap, it will slow down the evaporation and allow the cleaner a longer working time.

Brake fluid, If the part will fit in a zip lock bag, I'll drop it in one, add a bit of fluid, squeeze out as much air as possible (you can submerge the bag in water to purge the air out also), this will allow the fluid to contact all areas of the part, and requires less fluid.

Curt

I use an engine degreaser you get from Walmart in the automotive section called Super Clean. It comes in a purple container. It was originally made by Castrol but someone else makes it now. It's very popular amongst model car builders for stripping away paint. I found that it only leaves behind the stain colour from your primer. No big deal as you are going to prime over top of that anyway.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody ever try "Purple Power"? I understand it works pretty well. It will even remove the "Chrome" plating from plastic parts. The Model Car guys use it all the time.

I think they sell it at "The Wal-Mart"

It might be the same stuff that Gary is talking about.

and yah, I checked they do sell it at "The Wal-Mart"

Jester

As always YMMV, No responsibility for explosions, rotate your tires, I Make no recommendations as to the quality...blah blah blah, lawyer speak, leagleze, blah, blah blah...Probably only happened that one time...

Edited by DarkJester