ES-3A Shadow - The hole at the rudder leading edge

Hi guys,

I am building a 1/48 Shadow. While I am sanding the fuselage, I wonder what would go to that hole in the leading edge of the big rudder. I checked the instruction and I am amazed that nothing would be inserted there.

Do you guys know what is that hole for, in the real plane ? An intake ? For cooling, or generator ?

Regards,

Douglas

I think that it's an air intake for the Environmental Control System, but I will defer to S-3 pros to give a definitive answer. It is also on straight Vikings as well.

Hoops

Edited by Hoops

Actually it wasn't specifically for the avionics, it was the air conditioning system for the pressurized crew compartment. Pressurization is bled off the engine compressor, and the air is extremely hot due to the compression. The "vapor cycle unit" (aka air conditioning system, aka air cycle machine, aka several other names) is essentially just a way to cool down pressurization air so the crew doesn't get cooked. All pressurized aircraft have a similar system.

The A/C was to cool the avionics, keeping the crew cool was a side benefit. ;-)

Thats more believable.

The factory I work in has an A/C system but it isnt there to keep the guys cool, its to control the air temperature because the chemicals we use need certain temperatures to cure, or not cure.

The data center its the same deal, thats fully A/C'd up while we mortals have to sweat it out

The A/C was to cool the avionics, keeping the crew cool was a side benefit. ;-)

You don't say (written by someone who sat may hours cooking away on alert/ready spare...heck just manning up and launching...before the cool air was even close to being "cool"). 80 degrees in the tube...or don't turn on the system.

Cheers

Collin

All the pics I find indeed show a hole in the lower forward part of the vertical stabilizer. So yes, it should have a hole. I'm afraid I don't know exactly what it is on this aircraft, but typically it would be an intake for the ECS (Environmental Control System, which could be called the air conditioning), or for an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit, a mini jet engine that provides electrical power and/or pneumatic pressure).

ALF

Actually it wasn't specifically for the avionics, it was the air conditioning system for the pressurized crew compartment. Pressurization is bled off the engine compressor, and the air is extremely hot due to the compression. The "vapor cycle unit" (aka air conditioning system, aka air cycle machine, aka several other names) is essentially just a way to cool down pressurization air so the crew doesn't get cooked. All pressurized aircraft have a similar system.

Yup...like I said, air conditioning for the avionics.