CD48056 - CAS F-16 Vipers

I received these decals today. Everything looks good, so I will set up the product Web page and enable preorders soon. Watch for a "new releases" thread later tonight. There are only 300 of these, so I would recommend preordering. 1/72 version coming in a couple of months.

nov_decals01.jpg

nov_decals02.jpg

nov_decals03.jpg

Folks, I received an overwhelming amount of orders for this sheet - thanks! The backlog almost looks like the one I had for the B-58 and YF-23 sheets. I will start shipping preorders tonight, but please be patient with me as I work through all of your preorders.

• 2 weeks later...

Will any of these sheets make it to spruebrothers? I don't have Paypal.

Sincerely,

Dave

They should be available at resellers (including SB) in the second week of December or so - as a matter of principle, I ship to resellers only after every order and preorder placed in the first two weeks reaches its destination (at least within the US).

Edited by KursadA

This is my third F-16 this year. I need to build a different jet next :rolleyes:/>/>/>/>/>

Looks good! You can take a break by building something else, then come back to build one of the two-seaters on the sheet ;-)

I can't see any stiffeners on the F-16B that is currently in the museum; so it does not seem to be retrofitted with these - it probably never got them.

Edited by KursadA

The CAS/BAI trials (the Block 25s with WA tailcodes) were conducted in the late '80s (IIRC 1988). There were several structural upgrade programs that added the reinforcement plates, two I know of were Falcon UP and Falcon STAR. Falcon UP began in the early '90s and Falcon STAR in 2004. Based on this info I'd say the CAS/BAI trials pre-dated the addition of reinforcement plates to any F-16s.

In the Royal Norwegian Air Force, the first structural reinforcements I know of came in the mid-80s with a small plate just behind the canopy hinge. The late plate on the upper surface wing root came a little later, but must have been introduced in the late 80s. When I built my model of 666 (pre-MLU) with Penguin missiles, I added these plates for what was supposed to be a configuration soon after the Penguin was operational (i.e. 1989).

Jens

The Viper CAS program was anyway prior to the reinforcement plates being introduced. Most of the reinforcement plates came on or around the same time as the MLU program was kicking into gear