CD48056 - CAS F-16 Vipers

The PAVE PENNY pylon used on the CAS trials machines was completely different than the HTS pod pylon. They HTS pylon would have to be modified, or you could also build it from scratch.

The PAVE PENNY pylon is mounted much higher on the intake, and it triangular in shape, where the HTS pod pylon is more of a parallelogram and mounted much lower. The earlier F-16s didn't have the necessary internal structural support in order to use the targeting pod or HTS pylons, instead only for the smaller, lighter PAVE PENNY mount.

There are other later F-16s that have used PAVE PENNY on an HTS pylon (Israelis spring to mind) but they are later block aircraft with the strengthened hardpoints on the intake.

Hoops

• 1 year later...

If read all of this thread you will see there were two early production F-16s painted in an Euro-1 type scheme referred to as "charcoal lizard". This was just a camo test that proved unpopular at the time, not a close air support (CAS) test.  These airframes had black main  wheels and HL tailcodes. 

Later, when USAF was considering doing away with the A-10 (one of many times actually) there were several early F-16Cs (Block 25/32) painted in similar schemes, these were the CAS Vipers.  These C models had white main wheels and WA tailcodes. 

The CAS Viper demonstration also included GD's pre-production (FSD) F-16B that AFAIK still had the early style black main wheels during the CAS trials. 

Note the nose wheels were white on all charcoal/CAS birds. 

So does this mean all examples included in this sheet had white nose wheel and black main wheels? 

Also, Tamiya includes AIM-9L/M missiles in all their boxes. If we are building the lizard camo Viper, we will need to backdate it to carry AIM-9J. 

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

Later, when USAF was considering doing away with the A-10 (one of many times actually) there were several early F-16Cs (Block 25/32) painted in similar schemes, these were the CAS Vipers.  These C models had white main wheels and WA tailcodes. 

The CAS Viper demonstration also included GD's pre-production (FSD) F-16B that AFAIK still had the early style black main wheels during the CAS trials. 

Note the nose wheels were white on all charcoal/CAS birds. 

I don't know where I have the images from, but they contradict the above, stand by:

36125810376_d728c26793_b.jpg17082890257_ae78cf9d0c_o by J Hooper, on Flickr

35359707303_7830daa47a_b.jpg83-1131 by J Hooper, on Flickr

36033640641_21e11a1afa.jpg752-06 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Edited by Hoops
Update link

Yes!! I think I saw these images but could not find them. This is what I meant. All the wheels in those CAS Vipers were either black or all of them were white. Depending on registration number, we must check our references. 

On 7/25/2017 at 5:58 PM, Hoops said:

I don't know where I have the images from, but they contradict the above, stand by:

Had not seen those pics, thanks.

Since photo documentation shows all black, all white, or mixed, paint them however you want.

Edited by habu2