New Fightertown Jolly Rogers Tomcats

Thought I'd drop the second upcoming new release Fightertown Decals sheet this weekend. FTD48073 F-14B VF-103 Jolly Rogers Supremecy. It has a lot of what's bene covered and begged for as a re-release of 48040 plus the long sold out black and white bones and Santa Cat from 48016, plus some new stuff! Including black and white Bones from Enterprise and Eisenhower covering 1996-1999 and the first gray transition from the hijacking of the Sluggers of VF-103. Profiles to follow. Release dates look to be mid-Oct along with VF-101 and maybe something else...

Happy weekend!

FTD48073_VF103_zps7ea9f2a2.jpg

Can those decals be used to represent a "Bomb cat" version?

There isn't a specific "bombcat" version of the Tomcat. At the end of it's career, every version of the Tomcat (A,B,D) could carry bombs. In regards to the decals, all the options are LANTIRN-equipped jets. VF-103 Sluggers were tasked with developing the LANTIRN capability when they were "hijacked" by the Jolly Rogers, who had been disestablished. I'm excited because the markings I cobbled together for my first FSM article are on the sheet. I've been waiting for someone to do them.

Not sure if your referencing wanting "B" decals or a kit, all these markings are for a B model Tomcat (or "A+" as it was known as at the time) and Hasegawa makes a nice "B" kit.

Edited by phantom

What Darren said. Of note is that 215 was one of the first 5 Tomcats modified for Lantirn. 220 was the very first. At that time it was planned that only 5-7 jets per squadron would get Lantirn and they would be the non TARPs airframes since the A/B couldn't accommodate both sets of wiring. D's were all TARPs wired although it required a cockpit panel change to go between TARPs and Lantirn operationally.

There is no such thing as a 'Bombcat' specific Tomcat. That was just a name given as a play on 'Tomcat' back in the early 90s when the F-14 started carrying bombs operationally. All Tomcats are 'Bombcats'. Every jet on this sheet is an F-14B starting with 1996 timeframe thru the end of the Tomcat's service life with VF-103 and all of them can carry bombs. Lots of them have OIF, OEF, Kosovo mission markers. The decals are specifically sized to the Hasegawa kit, but they also fit on the Hobbyboss kit with no modifications needed. They also fit the Revelogram but they aren't rivet perfect in size. I've seen lots of people use the decals on those kits and it didn't seem like it was a problem.

-brian

Thanks Brian P.

Can you tell me if the Academy F-14A "Bombcat" kit can be used OOB with these decals?

The only reason I ask is the Academy kit is about half as much as the Hobby boss kit, and thats about equal to Hasegawa.

You'll need to pick up a Steel Beach conversion for the Academy to use the decals. They are all B models on the decal sheet. Of course, you could simply use the Academy kit and not worry about it. That's the joy of modeling.

Doesn't anybody make 72nd scale decals anymore?

Not of modern American aircraft at least. Drives me around the bend too. But it is his money at risk so I'm not going to bash the decision, although I will say if there is any 1/72 decal pretty much guaranteed to sell out it's anything with JR tomcats.

Jasmine Decals did a VF-103 sheet some time ago in 1/72. They were not bad, yellow was a bit off. :whistle:

This is no less than the THIRD Fightertown Decals sheet that makes me want to jump scales. Just where would I put 'em? ;)

Nevertheless - great sheet :)