1/72 Canadair CL13 Sabre

Okay... Here goes my next project.

Basicaly, this project is to cure AMS, which I seem to be suffering from.

The kits I will be using for this build are both currently available HobbyBoss F-86F Sabre kits. They were on sale for less than $5 each and I just had to buy them. Opening the box revealed a rather basic kit. Not more than 30 parts at most. However, the panel lines were nicely detailed with recessed lines.

SabreMk5.jpg

SabreMk6.jpg

I was surprised that both kits, although very simple, feature different wings, which is the only thing different besides the decal sheet. The F-86F-30 comes with the 6-3 hard wing, which is also used on the Sabre Mk5. The F-86-F-40 has the correct wing for a F-40 Sabre.

F-86_7.jpg

So I decided that by cutting off the 12" extensions of the F-40 wing, I can get a Sabre Mk6 wing with very little effort.

With this plan in mind, I got a couple of Airdoc F-86 decal sheets to build a pair of Canadair CL13 Mk5 and Mk6 Sabres and put everything aside until I would find time to start building.

Cutting off the wingtips was a normal procedure for me. Nothing special here, as I could easily follow the recessed lines.

Sabres_1.jpg

Sabres_2.jpg

The wingtips were glued back on and the gaps were filled with liquified sprue. In the meantime, I painted the basic cockpits until I could sand the clipped wingtips to shape. The ailerons were also extended to full span of the wings by simply rescribing the wingtips.

Both Sabres now have the same wingspan, as published on the internet.

Sabres_7.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

The next thing was to get rid of that gadget that appears to be the intake duct in front of the vertical stabilizer. Canadair Sabres do not have this duct.

The original unmodified fuselage of the Mk6.

Sabres_5.jpg

And the modified part of the Mk5 with closed speedbrakes. Simply carving with a #11 blade and sanding did the job for me.

Sabres_6.jpg

Did I mention that I suffer from AMS? I even can't leave a basic kit like it is supposed to be... Arrrgghhhh. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lancer512

Thanks, Hajo!

This is what the cockpits look like. As I wrote, very basic without any detail. Since I'll build both Sabres with the canopies closed, I don't care for much more besides the basic clors. Oh, yes. I also did not follow the kit's instructions and glued the intake ducts together before joining the fuselage halves.

Sabres_8.jpg

The external fuel tanks. Some work is required here, too. The Luftwaffe (or should I say German Air Force?) used the post-Korea style tanks with the little fins on them. I'll simply add fins to the wings of the tanks. The pylons will need to be modified, too.

Sabres_9.jpg

I glued the two aircraft halves together last night. The horizontal stabilzers are just stuck on. Today I was sharpening my skills at filling small gaps with dissolved sprue.

It looks really bad now. However, after sanding it will be nice and smooth.

Sabres_10.jpg

Sabres_11.jpg

While using the Mk.5 as a reference for rescribing the panellines on the Mk.6, I applied some putty to the closed airbrakes of the Mk5.

The majority will later be sanded off, but I had to fix the bad fit of the airbrake panels.

Sabres_12.jpg

In the meanwhile, I rescribed some detail on the Mk.6, which was lost due to sanding.

Sabres_13.jpg

Let's have a closer look at this. I still have to fix that spot in the upper aft corner on that panel where I slipped off.

Sabres_14.jpg

The missing rivets on the wingtips of the Mk.6 were also replaced with a 0.4mm (.016") drill bit.

You can also clearly see that the rescribed aileron is now going all the way thru the wingtips.

Sabres_15.jpg

The glazing putty had enough time to dry over night to be ready for sanding.

Sabres_16.jpg

A very close shot of the speed brake. I can't get any closer with my lens. Sanded with 240 grit, and then finished with 2000 grit sandpaper.

Sabres_17.jpg

I also added some little fins to the drop tanks made with sheet styrene. I don't care if the shape or the size of the tanks is correct, as it looks Okay to me.

The tanks in Special Hobby's F-86K seem to be larger. Not sure if there were different tanks between the Canadair CL.13 and F-86K.

Sabres_18.jpg

Thank you very much for the compliments, Joel.

Some detail shots of the drop tank. The diagonal outboard brace will be inserted at a later time.

I've cut off the slanted leading edge of the pylons. On the pictures I have seen, the pylons are rectangular and straight at the front.

Sabres_19.jpg

The fins are also a little wider on the bottom and seem to be perpendicular to the original fin.

Sabres_20.jpg

Sabres_21.jpg

Yes, it is more fun practicing with cheaper kits before messing up a really expensive kit.

I finished rescribing lost detail on the Mk6. This picture does not do it justice.

Sabres_22.jpg

The bottom rear fuselage was also sanded and rescribed, compare it to the pictures in post #6.

Sabres_23.jpg

Sabres_24.jpg

Lancer,

A couple of interesting little kits, not without their drawbacks though. You're making good progress and doing some nice repair work to add some realism and correct the errors.

My favourite Cold War fighter. I'm following along to see how you finish up. Both camouflaged or one nature metal?

Good luck.

Mike

Lancer, a enjoying your work !!!! Great stuff. One more little job on the tanks/pylons you could manage, is to move the mounting of the pylons inboard 3mm. No manufacturer of the Sabre kits can ever get the proper station. They should be 35.3mm from centreline(in 1/72 scale). It doesn't sound like much but it is visible on the finished product.

Model On !!!!!!

Cheers, Tony

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Both Sabres will be camouflaged. As I am not yet brave enough to do a BMF, I decided to do them in the two different camouflage schemes used during their service in the German Air Force:

The Mk.5 will be painted in the original canadian camouflage pattern. Can anybody confirm that british PRU blue was used on the underside? It seems too dark to me.

And the Mk.6 will done be in the standard GAF camouflage scheme.

Very useful information with the pylon atachments. I've not yet noticed this. I will keep that in mind. :thumbsup:

Edit: I just took the measurement from the centerline. The pylons will be in line with the trailing edge at the inboard rib of the ailerons. Even the documentation I got is wrong!

Edited by Lancer512

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Can anybody confirm that british PRU blue was used on the underside? It seems to dark to me.

Edit: I just took the measurement from the centerline. The pylons will be in line with the trailing edge at the inboard rib of the ailerons. Even the documentation I got is wrong!

Yup, the tanks are in-line with that flap/aileron corner. It is in real life, sta. 99.5"

I use Humbrol PRU Blue HX3, myself.

Cheers, Tony

Just a quick 5 minute modification.

Thanks to Tony, I moved the pylon attachment point inboard and filled the original holes with some filler.

Sabres_25.jpg

I also found out that the tanks I modified are indeed the smaller 455 Liter tanks. These tanks are correct for a Mk.5 and the Mk.6 could also carry the 755 Liter tanks.

I use Humbrol PRU Blue HX3, myself.

Arrghh... HX3 was the old "Authentic Color" range from Humbrol. It is not available anymore. Now it is supposed to be HU230, which does not look correct. Maybe I should try Xtracolor PRU blue.

Lancer,

I use Model Master Enamel RAF PRU Blue on all my camouflaged RCAF Sabres and I find it's a very good match to the real Sabre 6 we have on display here in Ottawa. If you find it too dark, you can always add a drop of white to lighten it up a bit.

Mike

Thanks Jeff!

The models are about to be ready for paint. I am not sure if I should add the pitot tube on the Mk.6 before or after painting. As I've just ordered Xtracolor PRU blue last night, I guess I'll start painting the Mk.6 first. My deadline is Halloween.

Just a small update here on how my workbench actually looks like. On my pictures it always looks so tidy. I really need to clean up!

Sabres_26.jpg

I painted the bottom of the Mk.6 with Xtracolor RAL 7001 Silbergrau this morning. I had this tinlet left over from my F-104G, which I've built something like 13 years ago and was thinned with MEK in the tinlet. Although everything in regards to thinning and storing the paint was wrong, it came out pretty good, though.

Sabres_27.jpg

Before painting, I also sanded off the attachment pins and fitted the pyon to the lower wing contour to minimize the gap.

Sabres_28.jpg