• 3 weeks later...

Assembly of the forward section interior.

Left lateral panels

F12A.jpg

Right lateral panels

F13A.jpg

The floor

F15A.jpg

The left storage bags, the armrests are folded

F18A.jpg

The right storage bags, the armrests are unfolded

F21A.jpg

The open hatch

F22B.jpg

Parts that will be in contact with the mid-section are covered with gold aluminized paper

F22C.jpg

What remains now is the exterior of the forward section.

Vincent

http://spacemodels.nuxit.net

My gawd Vincent ... this is incroyable!

The quality of the printing ( are the windows 3D printed too? ), the quality of the painting and the details you've added ... wow ...... WOW! :blink: :worship:

I'm gonna have to save up my dollars! :rolleyes:

Pete

Thanks for your comment Pete. The window frames are all 3D printed but the windows glass is made off two clear plastic parts cut with the pattern available on my web site. There is a frame between the two plastic windows and a decal applied on each window which then gives the relief a shown on the picture.

• 2 months later...

All panels on the LM ascent stage are now in place. The last work item was to assemble all the panels on the forward section. There were more than 100 different panels to assemble. Since the model was designed in 3D it allowed for all surfaces to be developped and then very precise drawings could be made that fitted exactly with the model.

Next itme will be to complete the details of the forward section and then the LM itself will be finished, maybe this week-end. Will follow the lunar base and design of the Monogram CSM support above the LM.

045A.jpg

045B.jpg

045C.jpg

045D.jpg

045E.jpg

045F.jpg

Vincent

So ... the panels are made ... how? Are they painted Aluminum foil? Paper? Styrene sheet?

And Vincent, I have to ask about the rivet heads. Are they in scale?

Because they seem too obvious to me. Your modelling skills are superb and your eye for detail is wonderful, but, the rivets just seem too distracting ... to me.

I want you to understand that this model is causing me visual orgasms, it is so-o-o well done ... so don't you dare take my question as a criticism. Okay? :cheers:

Thanx Vincent

Pete

all panels are simply printed on paper with a laser printer and those panels are provided on my web site. I varnished the black panels in satin and the anodized aluminium panels in shiny. Of course for the raw aluminium panels the paper drawings served just as a patterns and aluminium is real adhesive aluminium.

I know the rivets are just slightly oversized but the idea here was to provide something can could be used "straight out of the box" and still look very detailled (no need to create rivets with a pin). Your also have to realize that the pictures here show a much larger model than the real one, for instance you can see the printing pattern in the anodized aluminium panels but you can't see it with your own eyes. When you look at details the picture emphasized all defaults.

Visual orgasm and straddling the divide between inspiring and soul crushing, I hope you guys will survice before I end this model. Work of the day with the rendezvous radar antenna (I didn't know the expression straddling the divide, learning english seems to be a side effect of space modeling)

051A.jpg

Your also have to realize that the pictures here show a much larger model than the real one, for instance you can see the printing pattern in the anodized aluminium panels but you can't see it with your own eyes. When you look at details the picture emphasized all defaults.

You are absolutely correct Vincent. You have my apologies! :worship:

I know that this is a 1/32 scale model, but when looking at the details you've crammed into this tiny replica, my mental image is that it is closer in size to crackerjazz's 1/10 scale LM.

The details you've added to the interior, the little, precisely cut, pieces of Mylar tape on the RCS quads ... not to mention your perfect photos, makes me think of this as much, MUCH larger than it is.

Let's attribute my previous observations to ( another new English phrase) a Brain Fart. :doh:

I hope I survive till you complete this model too! :unsure: You have set the bar so high, that you'll be at the top of the peak for some time to come.

Merci beaucoup Vincent!

Pete

Vincent - your english is just fine, your models are fantastic! Am I understanding you correctly - that you are coating the paper on the LM with clear after application? What are you using to attach the paper to the surface?

Learning everyday, many thanks for sharing your excellent work,

ret

Here are the latest images of my 1/32 which I finally completed :

The various vents around the forward section are then installed

051B.jpg

The EVA handrail is made of 0.25 x 1 mm / 0.01 x 0.04 in stryrene strip. The upper fixture is made of 0.75 mm / 0.03 in styrene round rod.

052A.jpg

The last items to be assembled are the RCS thrusters

053A.jpg

Finally a complete model with still some work to do like the lunar base and the astronauts. The idea is to fix a pole on the lunar base to which the 1/32 CSM will be attached. This should be finished by July 2019 I hope

059.jpg

060.jpg

All instructions to build this model can be found on my web site. A final 3D design will be the HGA for the LRV, I have already done it at 1/6 for Pascal Hecker and I am downscaling it and simplifying it for 1/32.

To answer to Ret I coat the paper before installation and not after, cut the various pieces, wrinkle them a bit and attach them with some drops of super glue. The model is highly detailed and comparing picture of my 1/24 LM and this one, the 1/32 is in some areas more detailled than the 1/24, specally the interior where some corrugated parts for instance were difficult to scratchbuild at 1/24 and so easy to print at 1/32.

• 4 weeks later...

I am very happy to inform you that I finally completed all parts of a 1/32 and 1/24 printed LRV model. This goes with my 1/32 and 1/24 printed model of the lunar module. Originally I only designed the LRV in the early phase of deployment but I received several emails asking me whether I would design the remaining parts such as the rear pallet, TV camera or HGA. In the meantime I worked hard for Pascal Hecker on his 1/6 LRV and I manage to use the work in designing the remaining 1/32 parts.

All parts are now available on Shapeways in the 1/32 and 1/24 LRV stores and instructions and links to the parts are also available on my web site.

This really completes my work on designing a 1/32 lunar module for almost every mission (to be honest I still need to design the scimitar antenna and the ALSEP quadrant for Apollo 9 although this particular mission is less in demand).

Link to my web site for the LRV instructions (click on the image to see the instructions) : http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32%20LM/Descent%20stage%20J.htm#Step%2011

Link to my 1/32 LRV store : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/spacemodels?section=1%2F32+Lunar+Rover&s=0

LRV77.jpg

Vincent

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just completed the combination of different parts for a 1/32 LM with no interior. At this stage it is only available for the Class B (Apollo 5), Class D (Apollo 9); Class F (Apollo 10), Class G (Apollo 11) and Class H (Apollo 12 to 14) missions. Then will come the interior of the ascent stage, the Class J descent stage and the LRV. If you go to my web page ( http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32%20LM/index.htm'>http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32%20LM/index.htm ) you will find links to these combo under the Lunar module Descsnt Stage (G & H missions) page and the Lunar Module Ascent Stage page.

I still keep the possibility to order parts individually, however ordering a combo greatly reduces the price for the Frosted Ultra Detail parts (the price remains almost identical for the White Strong and Flexible parts). For instance if you want to model the Apollo 11 LM at the moment of Neil Armstrong first step, buying the part individually will cost you about € 510, buying the combos will cost you about € 420.

I also added new parts such as the ALSEP compartment for the Apollo 5 and 9 LMs or the Scimitar antennas of Apollo 5 and 9.

--

Cordialement/Sincerely

Vincent Meens

Hello,

It's the start of the sales for the 1/32 LM. I just completed combining parts for all H series LM with or without the interior. The price is really going down for Frosted Ultra Detail parts. I built the LM-5 by buying all part separately, the final cost without postage is 899.06 € (I paid more actually since I bought the parts along the construction time so I had to pay postage (about 10 €) several times.

If you buy the entire LM-5 with interior using the combos the price is now 621.32 €, that a 30% sales or you save almost 278 €.

I still need to go back to work and do the same for the J series descent stage and the LRV.

For each part part of the LM (only the H series descent stage and the ascent stage today) you will find links to these coboms at the beginning of the page.

1/32 LM : http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32%20LM/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

As the 47th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's first step on the Moon is approaching. I just completed combining various parts into only a few articles in order to reduce the price. If you go to the main page of my 3D LM model ( http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32%20LM/index.htm'>http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32%20LM/index.htm ) the links to the various pages will bring you to the items you need to build the model you want from Apollo 5 to Apollo 17. Combining the parts greatly reduces the price for Frosted Ultra Detail plastic as you pay $5 handling fee for each separate part. It is still possible to buy individual parts in case you break or loose some.

To give you an estimate and a comparison between individual parts and combined parts, this is below what it would cost. Depending on the configuration you want this may vary :

Individual parts for Apollo 11, no interior : $ 451

Combined parts for Apollo 11, no interior : $ 390

Individual parts for Apollo 11, with interior : $ 808

Combined parts for Apollo 11, with interior : $ 581

Individual parts for Apollo 17, no interior : $ 657

Combined parts for Apollo ,17, no interior : $ 502

Individual parts for Apollo 17, with interior : $ 1016

Combined parts for Apollo 17, with interior : $ 695

Individual parts for LRV-1, Apollo 15 : $ 202

Combined parts for LRV-1, Apollo 15 : $ 84

Individual parts for LRV-3, Apollo 17 : $ 211

Combined parts for LRV-3, Apollo 17 : $ 101

--

Cordialement/Sincerely

Vincent Meens

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I just received a mail from a fellow space modeler asking me if I could propose my 1/32 LM parts in Black or Orange Strong & Flexible since  you can save 15% off the price today until midnight Pacific Time. You have to enter the code SPOOKY to get that special price.

Black strong and flexible is similar to the white one but orange is polished. I would advice for most parts black since the polished version is difficult on more precise parts (the price is the same anyway). I also noted the BSW is a bit more expensive than the WSF and the 15% becomes interesting for large parts and combos making the final price lower. For small parts it is better to keep SWF .

Modifying all parts takes quite a long time. If you want something special tell me the reference of the part and I will try to fix the material today.

Shapeways store : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/spacemodels

Web site for the construction of the model : http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32 LM/index.htm

Vincent

• 5 months later...

I just ran across this thread! I was that guy. Mine will become Snoopy. Everyone, yes the 3D parts are expensive but they're worth it. The detail and research that Mr. Meens put into this is really incredible. As an Apollo junkie, this LEM is a must have. Now, if someone will only do an out of the box proper Gemini...

PS. My plan will be to display Snoopy in flight with Charlie Brown made from the Monogram CSM. This is the ONLY Lem model that will allow for that. The quality of the designs is tremendous. Get it!

In fact, we need to have a LEM group build using these parts. Seriously, we do.

• 3 months later...