1/144 Fine Molds Millennium Falcon

Some preliminary weathering with Tamiya weathering sets and enamels. I'll leave it like this for the time being and continue with different coloured panels either by using the decals supplied with the kit or by painting them. More weathering will follow after that.

temporary-3.jpg

temporary-4.jpg

Red and darker grey panels have now been added. I decided to use the kit decals for this, although several panels are missing if you want an accurate Falcon. These will be painted tomorrow.

I've done a lot of weathering as well. I still have to check my references for the sides but the upper hull should now be pretty much finished apart from some minor things.

The Falcon seen below the model is the big (1.22m long, as far as I remember) studio model used in the ESB. It differs quite a bit from the one used in the first movie, which seems to be the model Fine Molds used as their main reference. The difference comes from the different parts used as detail parts (different tank and race car kits as donators).

temporary-5.jpg

temporary-6.jpg

temporary-7.jpg

Looking good ... a bit more soot from the 6 grills perhaps :D

Making me want to oogle my big falcon in 1/72....and looking at the studio models online ( they look like dodo tho....like the rest of the studio models, not meant to be static display models now are they)

( they look like dodo tho....like the rest of the studio models, not meant to be static display models now are they)

You can be a dodo ;____; The studio models are pieces of art! Some day I'll join the other nutters scratching a 32'' :woot.gif: Bear in mind that the heavier the weathering, the smaller you make it seem. The Star Destroyers did not have much of any weathering to preserve the scale effect etc.

The Falcon seen below the model is the big (1.22m long, as far as I remember) studio model used in the ESB. It differs quite a bit from the one used in the first movie, which seems to be the model Fine Molds used as their main reference. The difference comes from the different parts used as detail parts (different tank and race car kits as donators).

The FM Falcons are replicating the 32'' ESB model, not the ESB 5ft nor the ANH 5ft one. I'd say you're getting very close to spot on in 1/144, it's turning out beautiful! :thumbsup:

Okay, I stand corrected. I was aware of the landing gear mods made between the first and second movie (among some other things of course), but I have this Mark Cotta Vaz Lucasfilm archive book, which has a photo of one of the ANH Falcons (61x76x21cm) and detail-wise it resembles the 1/144 FM kit more than the 5 ft ESB model shown also in this book. So that was just my personal observation. :) And hey, thanks for the kind words! I too think the level of weathering should be pretty okay now.

By the way, I've been reading a page after page the excellent Falcon threads on the therpf.com, about the original studio models and the model kit parts used on them. Fascinating stuff for any SW afficionado!

You can be a dodo ;____; The studio models are pieces of art! Some day I'll join the other nutters scratching a 32'' :woot.gif:/> Bear in mind that the heavier the weathering, the smaller you make it seem. The Star Destroyers did not have much of any weathering to preserve the scale effect etc.

The FM Falcons are replicating the 32'' ESB model, not the ESB 5ft nor the ANH 5ft one. I'd say you're getting very close to spot on in 1/144, it's turning out beautiful! :thumbsup:/>

There there, they are beautifully made... but there was never a need to super paint and weather them just enough to look good moving on the big screen. If you look at them from a static model point of view they are sloppily weathered with big contrasts and sometimes they just went at it with sanding paper and power tools to weather them. That's not saying they are gorgeous models, just not meant to be looked at from 3 inches away :D

• 6 months later...

Finished - for about half a year already! :woot.gif:

Well, the original plan was to photoshop the Falcon against space and some familiar planet. I had even set up a home made blue screen studio (green screen, to be precise, as it works better) and taken several test shots, which would eventually have been photoshopped by my brother. That's why I never released finished shots of this model. Until now - when it's already too late for photoshop sessions... Anyways, this is how it looks. The kit stand is ugly but please forgive me that!

017_1.jpg

016_1.jpg

010_1.jpg

009_1.jpg