Airstrikes on Syria Have Commenced From the South

The United States began striking ISIS targets inside Syria from the Red Sea and Gulf Countries. Among the first targets were those in Raqqa, the de facto HQ of ISIS and the area where Western journalists were beheaded. The United States uses Tomahawks and fixed-wing assets, and is joined by some Arab nations.

France hit ISIS in Iraq this week and other nations may join. There have been no US losses yet, but earlier this month an F-15E was damaged by a IR MANPAD.

Please join me in wishing luck and safety to the pilots, maintainers, and other crews expressing America's resolve to reduce the threats that genocidal groups present.

Edited by Exhausted

But the A-10 is obsolete and should have been retired years ago....

Can you confirm A-10s are even participating in these initial strikes? last I heard they were still gearing up to go:

http://intercepts.defensenews.com/2014/09/the-a-10-heads-to-iraq-it-probably-wont-change-anything-at-home-analysis/

Them not being available on the opening moves is why people are calling for their retirement, so this would seem to confirm what the USAF and critics have been saying...

f-22s are there... are A-10s?

The 122nd FW is underway here. Good luck to all of them.

Pentagon to deploy 12 A-10s to Middle East

thehill.com/policy/defense/218510-pentagon-to-deploy-12-a-10s-to-middle-east

...The Pentagon is deploying 300 airmen and 12 A-10 combat jets to the Middle East in early October, according to the Indiana Air National Guard.

The six-month deployment from the 122nd Fighter Wing is not specifically part of President Obama’s fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, but the airmen and jets could provide air support to troops battling ISIS on the ground.

"While it is common for the active duty Air Force to deploy a base overseas for an extended amount of time, the 122nd Fighter Wing is one of the only Air National Guard bases in history to take on a mission of this size and length," Renwick said.

Separately from this, the Israelis have shot down a SyAAF Su-24MK2 this morning.

According to the IDF, the Sukhoi penetrated the airspace over Israeli-occupied Golan Heights at around 08.57hrs local time, and crossed into the Israeli-controlled airspace by about 800 metres at an altitude 'between 10,000 and 14,000ft'. 'From the moment that the decision was made until impact, 1 minute and 20 seconds passed'.

Video below was taken at Khan Shih, which is half-way between Damascus and Qunaitra: while insurgents claim they've shot down the plane in question, I would say this is the Su-24MK2 shot down by the Israelis:

The IDF confirmed that the crew ejected successfully.

The 122nd FW is underway here. Good luck to all of them.

Pentagon to deploy 12 A-10s to Middle East

thehill.com/policy/defense/218510-pentagon-to-deploy-12-a-10s-to-middle-east

Again, no A-10s have deployed and are attacking to my knowledge as of yet.

Nor are there any F-35s deployed and attacking to my knowledge as of yet.

-Gregg

That's weird no one even mentioned the F-35. I was responding to the as yet unconfirmed use of A-10s:

But the A-10 is obsolete and should have been retired years ago....

Give em hell Air Force.

I just kind of figured before we started singing the A-10s praises in Syria we should check to see if its even being used in Syria. Sorry if that offended anyone.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I just kind of figured before we started singing the A-10s praises in Syria we should check to see if its even being used in Syria. Sorry if that offended anyone.

I think you know why they have not been used in the initial strikes. I get the feeling you know a little bit about tactics.

That's weird no one even mentioned the F-35. I was responding to the as yet unconfirmed use of A-10s...

Agreed <_< .

Good luck to all those service people from any and all nations fighting ISIS.

Thoughts and prayers for a quick end to hostilities and a safe return home.

Last I heard Harriers were striking Isis in Iraq. I hope they get some in Syria. The Su-24s are alarming. They are obviously searching for the US carriers in the Red Sea. The military, and C-in-C, made the outstanding choice to put Jordan and Saudi Arabia between the targets and the carriers.

Edited by Exhausted

Last I heard Harriers were striking Isis in Iraq. I hope they get some in Syria. The Su-24s are alarming. They are obviously searching for the US carriers in the Red Sea. The military, and C-in-C, made the outstanding choice to put Jordan and Saudi Arabia between the targets and the carriers.

I doubt it was the CIC decision on where the fleet is located...5th Fleet has been in the Persian Gulf for about the last 13 or so years. Can't remember the last time a Carrier Group was in the Med...maybe the late 90s?

That's weird no one even mentioned the F-35. I was responding to the as yet unconfirmed use of A-10s:

<...>

And I was responding to posts that insinuated that if an aircraft type wasn't deployed there, it should be retired.

-Gregg

I think you know why they have not been used in the initial strikes. I get the feeling you know a little bit about tactics.

Which is precisely my point.

Boy I'll tell ya, I've been watching footage of the navy launching cruise missiles in the dark at the middle east since I was 7, and it never gets old.

And I was responding to posts that insinuated that if an aircraft type wasn't deployed there, it should be retired.

-Gregg

Thats interesting because the insinuation was that if it deployed there it deserves to stay in service, and isn't obsolete. I also didn't say "an aircraft type" I specifically said the A-10

Lets put on our thinking caps and consider reasons as to why the A-10 wouldn't be used there right now...

But its not there, so lets grind the ax elsewhere, mmmkay?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Boy I'll tell ya, I've been watching footage of the navy launching cruise missiles in the dark at the middle east since I was 7, and it never gets old.

Seems to have become a bit of a national pastime.

Are any Navy A/C taking part?

The bad guys in Syria have a wide range of AAA and relatively modern MANPADS. All one needs to do is to check out youtube for dozens of clips of Syrian AF jets being shot down by these weapons. I doubt we'll see a low and slow jet like the A-10 used over Syria, for the same reason we never saw it used in Libya.

My thought was that the small force of A-10's being deployed would be used for CSAR support and possibly strikes in Iraq which is a bit safer than over Syria. The CSAR role is huge, given how ISIS treats it's captives. Loosing a pilot or special forces team to those animals would be a horrific (and unfortunately, well publicized) event.

When did I say they were being used? They're going over there of course they're going to be used for something at some point.

Never did I praise them in Syria either. But read what you want.

I read the report his morning that 12 A-10s were going over and commented thusly. It'd be naive to think they won't participate at all in this mission.

Edited by Bigasshammm

The bad guys in Syria have a wide range of AAA and relatively modern MANPADS. All one needs to do is to check out youtube for dozens of clips of Syrian AF jets being shot down by these weapons. I doubt we'll see a low and slow jet like the A-10 used over Syria, for the same reason we never saw it used in Libya.

My thought was that the small force of A-10's being deployed would be used for CSAR support and possibly strikes in Iraq which is a bit safer than over Syria. The CSAR role is huge, given how ISIS treats it's captives. Loosing a pilot or special forces team to those animals would be a horrific (and unfortunately, well publicized) event.

A-10's and AC-130's were used in Libya.

I doubt it was the CIC decision on where the fleet is located...5th Fleet has been in the Persian Gulf for about the last 13 or so years. Can't remember the last time a Carrier Group was in the Med...maybe the late 90s?

CAGs aren't the only options for attacking from the sea. the 22nd and 26th MEU is always in the Med, and Harriers have taken part in recent strikes. Also, they flew over Libya in 2011 from the Med. I think the C-in-C has influence on the placing/holding of units in anticipation of strikes, especially if on-hand strength was increased.

But placing Saudi and Jordan between the Syrian Air Force and the CAG is a good call, whoever made it. I really don't think the SyAF really wants to fight us though.

Edited by Exhausted