Aussie F-18A Op. Falconer

Part two.

At this point I've turned my attention at the big decals,in particular the unit markings on the plane spine.

I cut the decal and when applied I discovered that...ta-daaan,was more dark that the camo color when in reality the markings are close to the Light Ghost Grey of the camo.

Ok,decal removed.

Option two ,the kit ones;I cut the part and before the water bath,I check the size on the model discovering that was too long ( but this isn't a kit error 'cause the markings depict another plane in another timeframe ) so I cutted the decals in three parts and shortened of about 2mm on each inner side, the closest to the central fleur de lys,perfect!

uaEE9c.jpg[/url][/img]

With the previous step in mind I check the stash to find a replacement for the rear fuselage serial numbers

The close I found was some Skysdecals numbers dedicated to the IAF UH-60.When applied after some nip & tuck to obtain the "A",the serial resulted a little to light but a very thinned layer of the camo color made the trick.

Check the decals before (left) and after (right).

ziYJPh.jpg[/url][/img]

AND NOW THE BETTER PART: THE VERT STABS!

I used the Hawkeye decals,lot of decals softener for this :(/>

zdz2Kt.jpg[/url][/img]

I can't sleep!

My first option was to slightly sand the decals and this help me to peel off the decals with minimal damage ( in reality I will/can use the small damage as a weathering) re-apply the decals,better...

34ygt1.jpg[/url][/img]

...but I can still see the step between the decal and the surfaces!

I take the hardest decision.

After mask the "good" panels,I used pure ethanol on earstick,followed by fine and ultrafine sandpaper.

UK6JpF.jpg[/url][/img]

At this point I've primed the surface with Tamiya XF-19;this was a lucky choice.In fact the color is a slightly darker and warm shade of the Light Ghost Grey that created a good tonal variation between the panels and add also a first weathered apparence,

Gloss coat and kit decals cut one by one.

And then another confirmation about the importance of the reference material;I've applied the decals on the left stab as per kit instructions but Academy was in error for the right one.In fact tha Korean producer provides the Stars marking in a group that result in a specular image that is wrong,in fact the 3°Squadrone have the Stars applied as per heraldy rule with the group of three stars resulting always on the right side of the spectator,even in the new beautiful livery with the bird of prey.Here my bird during Op. Falconer.

And finally the corrected vert satbs!

WjolME.jpg[/url][/img]

P.S. The dust particles was already removed.I take the pics litterally with the decals still wet of Micro Sol!

Next I can start with the panel wash,salt weathering,general weathering and final assembly,so stay tuned!ù

As always comment and suggestion are welcome and thanks for watching!

Gianni

Sorry to hear about Your problems with decals. But it looks like You've handled this very well.

It's a shame to hear about those Academy decals. I was looking forward to making a model in these markings in the near future.

Thad,first thanks for your words.

The Academy decals work like a dream,all you need is some Micro Sol or correspective liquid and that's all!

The Hawkeye was the problem:the color for the stencils to put on the Light Ghost Grey pratically vanished after application,better if you start with a lightened version of the camo grey.

The specific 3 Sq. markings/serial numbers/ bomb silhoutte decals are thick;when I removed from the vert stabs, almost look printed on a clear vinile sheet instead of trasparent film!I don't know why because some like the service/warning stencils,the spine marking,the lo-viz National flag and roundel react very well to Mr. Mark softer. :(

The only reason can be that the various small sheets on which the decals was printed are of different tickhness

I hate to say this, especially because Peter of Hawkeye Models re-print the sheet for me,almost a at-request job.

Question: during Op. Falconer.all the planes was operated by 75 Sq.

The decals instruction sheet show a small 75 Sq. decals to be placed on one side of the wing pylons but does not specify whether was applied on all planes or the pylon side.Any suggestion?

Gianni

Good day guys.

ALF many thanks for your words,really appreciated!

I want show you my progress about the weathering;the pics of Falconer bird show evident sign of use but not in tha U.S. Navy way,so I tried to replicate the used but not abused aspect.

Any feedback is for me really important!

RmNz41.jpg[/url][/img]

GlxQjO.jpg[/url][/img]

xwYwZn.jpg[/url][/img]

Because I've a distorted mind,when I've the pics of the specific plane I try to replicate,I try also to make the same,single dirty spot visible on the pics and this build is not an exception,especially for the weather on the nose access panels...

tEYInZ.jpg[/url][/img]

fxGdVm.jpg[/url][/img]

rrxOQu.jpg[/url][/img]

hxgDYK.jpg[/url][/img]

...the only exception is the engine area,here I speculated the effect on the base of some beautiful pics of ALF,

NBUjam.jpg[/url][/img]

LjpJFl.jpg[/url][/img]

About the salt tecnique,I've used it in small areas,on the upper rear fuselage between the vert stabs and sprayed a very light coat of "grime" yellowish layer,on the fuel bags and on the pivoting area of the horizontal stabilator.

E9TGt0.jpg[/url][/img]

Now,I don't understand one thing:look at the pics of A21-52 nose area,you can see a very tasty chipping around the windshield.I can't determine the color,I don't think is an metal shade,maybe a light grey?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Like always feel free of comment and thanks for watch!

Cheers,

Gianni

Thx a lot Tom!

I'm very scared now,a thousand things can be worst in the final assembly:my MLG modification that don't work,something in the trailing ledge flap that fit bad,the canopy and windshield ruined by the masking tape,ecc... :unsure:

I cross the finger my friend!

Cheers, :cheers:

Gianni

Gianni

I sent you a mail with more pictures, so you can see some variations of weathering underneath. You've used perfect colours underneath; the extent of the weathering is quite variable from aircraft to aircraft.

You asked about the discolourations in the picture (Now,I don't understand one thing:look at the pics of A21-52 nose area,you can see a very tasty chipping around the windshield.I can't determine the color,I don't think is an metal shade,maybe a light grey?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.)

This is only partly a joke, but could it be bird poop? It may have been cleaned off the windscreen, but left on the nose area. I've never seen that kind of weathering on a Hornet.

ALF

A note on those access panels on the nose. You will likely find very similar patterns on all Hornets. The panel where the ID light goes on the CF-18 (which is just a blank panel on the RAAF version), is hinged at the top, with fasteners on the bottom. It houses the gun's encoder/decoder and round limiter mechanism. When doing a trip that involves the gun. it is always opened and checked.

Just behind it is the orange "beer can", which is really the "gun electrical safety switch." It is pressed and turned to make it flush with the fuselage (armed), or popped out with the orange showing (safe), for almost every flight. It's normal to see grimy glove marks around the beer can. Behind that is a panel (between the E and the beer can) that has the external power plug (used for maintenance sometimes), but also holding the canopy open/close switch, which is frequently used. Technicians often wear gloves for refuelling that get quite dirty; anytime they open and close panels, they get the paint dirty around the fasteners.

On the other side of the nose, you'll notice it's always grimy around the fuel panel, and sometimes around the fasteners at the bottom of the long doors under the cockpit on both sides (circuit breaker panels, and weapon system computer).

The weathering you are doing on the nose area is quite typical, and not too specific to any aircraft.

ALF

Thx ALf for all,pics and first hand derivedhead-ups!

About the "specifically weathering" of this build ,I mean that I tried to replicate the exact shape of the grime around the various panel,sometimes my bad English can create confusion,sorry!

This is one of my reference for this build,as you mentioned before mate,the weathering is typical but at the same time different for intensity and shape fom one plane to another.

For the lower fuselage weather effect you can note only a partial effect;'tll now I used essentially only Tamiya Smoke with successive addition of some Black drops.After the matt coat I'll add some fluid leak in the wind direction with artist oil in order to obtain more dirt with a more satin finish to try a natural effect/look.

And also I need to add a final dark,almost black last effect around the APU exhaust and maybe the cannon.The same for the nose panels.

For the windshield effect I'm unsure...

About my fear,last night I removed the canopy mask and discovered some scratch;I used the abitual procedure of sand paper,coarse and fine compound and finally some Future but but unforunately the scratch are plastic internal defect...I've ordered the Rob Taurus vacu canopy,but afraid of the delivery ( too late for the deadline,great Italian postal service) I replaced with the one of my other Academy kit.I've already painted and gloss coated the replacement canopy so tommorrow I can add the decals and spray the matt coat.

More pics ASAP and thx again!

Cheers,

Gianni

hi all my friends;

I've hit the model with the matt coat,my first use of the Alclad Klear Kote Matt,a good product.

GQSYdO.jpg[/url][/img]

cTZBvB.jpg[/url][/img]

At a certain point I decided to detail the kit engine nozzle 'cause like always the Aires part don't fit nice...so,13 plasticard strip complete of rivet added and painted and weathered.

You can see my converted nozzle compared with the Aires.

To be honest I'm happy with the result but I've forget that I've already sanded the rear fuselage to fit the Aires'one,so I reverted to my first decision,but with other two Academy kits my nozzle will not be wasted!

7yZbjF.jpg[/url][/img]

I've added the last details to the external stores ( Winder safety handle,bomb arming wires and fuel tanks clear separation fitting and a valve of some sort ) that now are finished.

P0Ew8I.jpg[/url][/img]

lkjqJb.jpg[/url][/img]

In the nose area I've added the new AOA sensor,the red gun and yellow chaff/flare "beer can" safety switch indicators.

KRFrDA.jpg[/url][/img]

The wheel bay details finished.

Gvt1UR.jpg[/url][/img]

And more weathering under the engine area.

SxFUeh.jpg[/url][/img]

Now some consideration:

I was able to determine that the pylon zap was on the external face but not if A21-52 was zapped,so I don't added this decals.

Not happy with the fit of the PE details on the pit area,in this very moment I've removed it and now back to the job!

Last,my next step is fit the modified landing gears,so please,wish me some luck!

Like always,feel free of comment and critique!

Thanks all,

Gianni.

Good day all guys,

the build is almost done!

In the last post I said that I wasn't satisfied with the pit PE,this is what I meant.

i3Esi8.jpg[/url][/img]

Taking advantage of the precedent job,I removed the PE,saved some parts and obtained this,much better for me...

Yfxswo.jpg[/url][/img]

And now the landing gear!

I've fought the whole week end to obtain a decent result,you judge!Because of the new gear angle ,I was forced to scratch new sway braces.

BGGz70.jpg[/url][/img]

And with the doors and the last details fitted.

PA6l0m.jpg[/url][/img]

CwJJ0s.jpg[/url][/img]

Also added the last details to the NLG doors

9V6uh7.jpg[/url][/img]

And the model on his legs!

Front view.

QOO076.jpg[/url][/img]

Side view.

JUvlb0.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally the trailing ledge flaps.

I confess you that I was worried for the fit of the part but I make a minimal job to glue in place-

Anyway,a little nasty surprise: the flap don't have the same lenght.but a small cut from the left one and all is good ( a part some work on a couple of actuator fairing that don't match good) .

In the upper part the flap in the original shape and in the lower with the correction.

M7v4Dy.jpg[/url][/img]

So I'm at one step from the conclusion,so please let me know what do you think guys and thenks for watching!

Cheers,

Gianni.

Merry Christmas to you too, Gianni!

You can take your holiday confident in the fact that the gear angle is just right, the weather is great, and it's looking very nice overall.

ALF

ALF many thanks!

And finally is finished!!!!!

I was able to respect the deadline.

Here the first two pics,better ones ASAP.

I learned a lot from this build,I hope to obtain better result with my other two Academy kits;also I learned to appreciated enough the F-18 lines,a very beautiful plane!

I wish you all a Happy New Year my friends!!!!!

Gianni :beer4:/> :cheers:/>

QQGaJs.jpg[/url][/img]

cXLRLX.jpg[/url][/img]

Awesome Hornet Gianni! I just looked over this thread and I'm amazed at the details You've added and the final look You've achieved! I can't wait to see more Hornets from You! I wish You Happy Modelling in 2015! :cheers: