So... KittyHawk models ... a suggested NO ??

lazily scanning the forums I get the decided impression that for a "don't frustrate me, please" modeller like me, perhaps KittyHawk is a manufacturer to avoid? Even though I would LOVE to have a kit of the JSF carrier version? I already kit-bashed myself a 72nd one from the Italeri prototype (straightening out the engine was "challenging". Used an EA-6B set of gear, and so on) but I'm a 48th scaler at heart and would love a carrier JSF. Lately my stupid health issue crap has me wanting to avoid having to "fix" seams that a scale pilot would be able to fit his scale car through, warped fuselage or hull halves, and those sorts of pisspoor efforts by model companies.

So avoiding KH would be prudent, y'all think?

THANKS MUCH in advance!

~ Tracy

(getting better, by the way, just in ebbs and flows but overall a definite "better" as far as health.)

That's a pretty subjective question and you're probably gonna get a LOT of different answers.

For my part, I hate the existence of bays that I, myself, did not open. The panels rarely fit perfectly and it's just that much more work that has to be done.

My advice would be to check the other reviews and build ups of 1/48 JSF's they have released (namely the A, because the B has all kinds of panels opened up for the STOVL stuff) and get an impression from that. evaluate the workload from there and decide. Forewarned is forearmed :thumbsup:

Option B is wait for the next company (Tamiya please!) to make an F-35, because other companies will make kits its just a matter of when.

I attempted KH's Jaguar A. Over-engineered, way too many open panels and the doors do not fit off the bat if you want them posed in the closed position. Some really "interesting" parts breakdowns that make the whole build process unnecessarily long especially the landing gear bays and landing gear itself. Fuselage breakdown is also annoying. There are some really nice touches, but if you want kits that doesn't require a lot of fiddling around with, avoid like the plague IMHO.

lazily scanning the forums I get the decided impression that for a "don't frustrate me, please" modeller like me, perhaps KittyHawk is a manufacturer to avoid? Even though I would LOVE to have a kit of the JSF carrier version? I already kit-bashed myself a 72nd one from the Italeri prototype (straightening out the engine was "challenging". Used an EA-6B set of gear, and so on) but I'm a 48th scaler at heart and would love a carrier JSF. Lately my stupid health issue crap has me wanting to avoid having to "fix" seams that a scale pilot would be able to fit his scale car through, warped fuselage or hull halves, and those sorts of pisspoor efforts by model companies.

So avoiding KH would be prudent, y'all think?

THANKS MUCH in advance!

~ Tracy

(getting better, by the way, just in ebbs and flows but overall a definite "better" as far as health.)

Tracy-

The test build of the -35C that I saw at the NATS was quite impressive and made me think twice about maybe getting one someday... Seeing it with external pylons and folded wings made it look pretty cool IMHO. That being said, the few builds I have seen of the KH F-35 have shown that this isn't a kit that just falls together.

I wouldn't say "avoid at all costs", but I would say "proceed with prudence"... If you really are captivated by an airplane, that should be what motivates you through the headaches- and it's what makes the finished product sweeter when it sits on the shelf complete. That's what got me through my Trumpeter Vigilante, and that's probably a good comparison of a kit with similar challenges you would be facing.

Nick

Edited by Nick Kessel

I have built the F-35 A and the F-35 B and both modelkits are the same quality like

Hasegawa. The Decals are outstanding. The plans can be improved. The fitting is great and

the overall shapes of the F-35 are nice. I have two Cs in the stash and am starting building

one very soon. I can't speak about other kitty hawk kits because i am only interested in

building Lightnings and other modern jets.

Other companys must produce some F-35 A,B and Cs then we can compare.

I am very satisfied and happy with the Kitty Hawk Lightnings.

The only thing i have to complain about is that i have bought 2 F-35Bs and

now they release a version 2.0 with new decals. You can forget about the weapons

but i want the other decal versions. That is all to complain.

Thank you.

From what I have heard from folks that have built the F-35s - the majority of the complaints seem to come from the issues with the parts being warped and not fitting well. This is certainly (but not exclusively) impacted by the parts being crunched into the early packaging. I own pretty much the entire KH line, and largely I am impressed and find them to be a great starting point for the various projects. There are accuracy issues, but those are issues where YMMV depending on how much you're bothered by the accuracy points.

The early kits (through the Mirage F.1, and to a lesser extent the MiG-25) were put in boxes that were badly undersized for the parts included. As a result I have seen BADLY warped and damaged parts in those early kits. With the F-35C, it was packaged in the newer box format with a LOT more space, and as a result the fit of the parts is a LOT better, with little warpage. In the initial test fitting of the kit, I find it to fit well, and doesn't really present any big challenges.

I'm actually going to be working on a build for KH's FB page for the F-35C, so watch that space to see how it goes, as I'll feature tips and what to "look out for" as I move through the build.

Just MY take...

Very cool, everyone! THANKS!

NORMALLY I am more open to kit frustration (like I said, I kit-bashed my own F-35 carrier type from Italeri!) but lately with the health issue I am trying to focus more on the fun buildable kits. Not just a "shake the box" kit or anything, just not the major issues like I mentioned so accuracy issues that involve major rescribing or other "crazy making" tasks (for me) are out. Hmmmm.... I may need to swing by Emil's and see if he has any open box F-35s to look at the major things. I plan on getting 1. BETTER and 2. Back to my normal patience level eventually, though, so I intend this to be only a temporary ban.

Oh and additionally to the accuracy issues (rivet counters RUN!! HURRY!!) I will almost certainly make my 48th F-35 be from a local-er NS, closer to here in the PNW or at least one that is assigned to a carrier from out here. So who knows what decal set I would be "mixing in" with the kit stencil stuff. LOL

Unapologetic Homer, Tracy

I have their F-35A.

Overall it's a very nice kit. I plan on getting their F-35C as well.

Because of their price, I'll wait for holiday deals and big sales to purchase them.

For example: Squadron had a big sale this Summer where I could have bought a 1/48th scale Hobby Boss YF-23 for about $38 shipped.

If you absolutely want an F-35 the KH kits are quite good. The fit is varies from great to not-so-great, but in general it is quite good, especially with some TLC. What I remember bothered me was the placement of some of the seams, like the ones on the fins and stabilators. The issue is compounded by the lack of proper fit in those areas.

Accuracy wise I am probably not the right guy to answer. To me it looks pretty much like the F-35, but I suspect that panellines, interior details, especially inside the weapons bays are somewhat sketchy.

As far as I know KH´s F-35s are the only ones in 1/48.

Quality control does not appear to be the strong side of KH, not in production nor in design unfortunately. (Just see the decal options included in the Gripen kits..)

So, conclusion: If you want an F-35, go for it, if you want a nice kit that is easily built, build a Tamiya Viper or something in that quality segment :-)

Edited by erik_g

Why all the hate against manufacturers?

IMHO the confusion between the kit and the model has to do with it. Many people, and manufacturers also, mix up these two largely independant notions. Many customers mainly care about the kit (ease of build, moulding quality) and not too much about the model. Some other customers expect a good model too (shape accuracy, version-dependant features). The hate comes the unmatch between manufacturer's offer and customer's expectations. Some manufacturers quite systematically neglect an aspect of the model kit (the kit or the model), some other try to offer more balanced model kits.

IMHO the confusion between the kit and the model has to do with it. Many people, and manufacturers also, mix up these two largely independant notions. Many customers mainly care about the kit (ease of build, moulding quality) and not too much about the model. Some other customers expect a good model too (shape accuracy, version-dependant features). The hate comes the unmatch between manufacturer's offer and customer's expectations. Some manufacturers quite systematically neglect an aspect of the model kit (the kit or the model), some other try to offer more balanced model kits.

Good points.

I'm of the opinion that a model kit's criticism is equally proportional to the cost of the kit. The higher the cost of a kit, the higher the criticism is.

Example: Kitty Hawk's MIG-25. If said kit was priced at $29.95, the criticism of said kit would be much less even though the discrepancies are still there because the price is more reasonable given said discrepancies.

For the higher cost customers expect a reasonable equally higher amount of accuracy.

Revellogram has this formula mastered. Overall quality of kit vs price.

The supreme example is their 1/48th scale F-15E. THEE most accurate kit of the Strike Eagle in 1/48th scale. Period. Yet only cost $29.95.

And if you have a Hobby Lobby store in your area you can obtain one for $18 before local sales tax.

IMO; Hasegawa has tried to keep costs down by offering ordnance separate from the kit.

Another example is Zactomodels. Chris's attention to detail and accuracy is so precise it borders on insane.

If he ever completes his 1/32nd scale all resin YF-23 kit, whatever the price is, I'll buy it because I know it's going to be a work of absolute precision.

Could somebody explain to me why Kitty Hawk Decals are the only one type of decals

i don't have trouble with?

I don't have silvering and other problems with Kitty Hawk Decals.

Ever used Kinetic or Eduard? Both have superb decals. Also haven't had much issue with Revell's latest stuff. Never used the stock decals with KH's as I went Caracal and xtradecal.

Not every kit in the world will be a Tamiya engineering miracle but you can get a great result never the less.

The photos you have posted demonstrate that works of art can be made from KH kits. The paint job and the weathering of the MiG-25, the Jaguars, the Starfires (especially the first one IMO) and of the F1B are impressive. My problem is that no matter how good the paint job and weathering are, I can't stop myself from seeing the shape issues. I look at the Jaguars and the words "pitot-nose fairing", "laser telemeter bulge", "ram-air intake behind the canopy" creep in my mind. The builders didn't fix these and that's alright as IMHO it's the manufacturer that should fix accuracy issues while the kit is being designed. Many people suffer the same "disease" that I have and thankfully, now, Kitty Hawk listens to these people inputs. The "model" part of the "model kit", the accuracy part is improving. Initially the OV-10D didn't have contrarotating propellers and gun locations in the sponsons were symmetrical. These issues have been fixed.

The myth of Kittyhawk kits being unbuildable and rubbish is just that.

No need to believe me though.

KittyHawk+MiG-25+Foxbat+48th+scale+(9).jpg

Beautiful MIG you've built there 271.gif !

I have to admit; My interpretation of the pilot's body language was:

"Where the hell is my boarding ladder?!! Can someone bring me a boarding ladder so I can complete my mission, TODAY mad.gif ?!!" rofl.gif

Hi Check Six

It wa built by Gary Wickham who did a very comprehensive write up for modeling news a website.

A Greek Website has several stellar builds by Matthias Becker of different F-1's by KH.

All are beautiful builds!

Cheers

Edited by dehowie