Only problem is that the kit came with dry transfer decals (didn't realise at the time) for VF-111, so I will have to source some aftermarket decals.

Lots & lots of colourful options to choose from.........

lol, yeah it doesn't help that the vast majority of aftermarket decals avoid 103 'roger tomcats (most VF-84), ESPECIALLY so in 1/72 (except for Hasegawa's kit decals, so far as I know, there are no aftermarket 103 jolly rogers decals in 1/72, I could be mistaken and if so, I hope someone can point me in the right direction!)

Maybe this will be remedied before the build :D

Hey Steve, y'know I was thinking about this GB last night, and I thought it would be really, really cool if we could build at least 1 Tomcat in the markings of every unit that flew the F-14.

I did a quick count in my WAPJ book on the Tomcat and there are approx 35 squadrons that have operated it in the USN (give or take a few depending on how you count the various test units) plus Iran.

I figure that with all the Tomcat fanatics on this board, that between all the kits & decal sheets that have been released, that it should be possible to do every Tomcat squadron.

It will take a bit of organisation and maybe some sharing of decal sheets, but I reckon we can do it.

Whaddya think?

Yeah, but you won't get everyone to agree to do that. You'll have a mob scene for VF-84 and VF-103.

I'll take abotu any squadron as long as I can do some wicked CAG markings! Black Tailed birds rule!

You'll have a mob scene for VF-84 and VF-103.

Well, I can tell you right now, I certainly won't be in that mob.

Whatever I do will be Old Skool.....I'm thinking maybe VF-114 "Aardvarks", circa 1977 :thumbsup:

You'll have a mob scene for VF-84 and VF-103.

Well, I can tell you right now, I certainly won't be in that mob.

Whatever I do will be Old Skool.....I'm thinking maybe VF-114 "Aardvarks", circa 1977 :thumbsup:

I happen to also like the 'Varks', especially in the gull gray over white scheme :thumbsup: . I was think of doing that in 1/72. Either that or the original Vf-41 scheme, with the big Ace of Spades on the tails. Gotta like that.

Regards,

Don

Yeah I'm guilty. I plan to do my big 32nd Tamiya kit in VF-84 colors. It's my favorite sqaudron and I like the yellow (as opposed to the 103). How can you not love something as badass as having a skull on crossbones on the tail? I plan to do my Tamiya F-4J in VF-84 markings as well and have two 32nd Jolly Rogers side my side.

Hey, don't get me wrong I love that 70s VF-84 scheme as much as the next man, and I'm sure in 1/32 it will look incredible, its just that I prefer to do the subjects that others don't :thumbsup:

I've been lurking under the radar with this one, but considering that I need an excuse to do a couple Tomcat models in my stash, I think I can manage to do at least one if not two in 1/48 and/or 1/72. Concerning hypothetical schemes, I can understand not allowing them. But what about schemes that are "ahem" from documented fictional sources, such as one that I do recognize from one of the banners. I have one idea of my own. Darren Roberts knows what it is and he does grown whenever I mention it. :thumbsup: Don't worry, I do plan to do something that actually flew as well as I do fancy doing an IRIAF Tomcat.

Yo Joe. :thumbsup:

I've been lurking under the radar with this one, but considering that I need an excuse to do a couple Tomcat models in my stash, I think I can manage to do at least one if not two in 1/48 and/or 1/72. Concerning hypothetical schemes, I can understand not allowing them. But what about schemes that are "ahem" from documented fictional sources, such as one that I do recognize from one of the banners. I have one idea of my own. Darren Roberts knows what it is and he does grown whenever I mention it. B) Don't worry, I do plan to do something that actually flew as well as I do fancy doing an IRIAF Tomcat.

Yo Joe.  ;)

I don't plan on doing up anything other then a real Tomcat Squadron bird. So I am not affected by the rules of the group build :lol: . But I would think that the Tomcats sprayed up in fictional markings for the movie "Top Gun" should count as legit subjects. I mean they were applied and flown on operational F-14's and remained on the AC for sometime after the movie was done shooting. So I would say that something like that should count. I am sure that there were other Tomcats sprayed up in "odd" markings. In my very humble opinion (not that anyone asked :woo: ), if an F-14 flew with the markings, then it should count. But that's just my 2 cents. It's all good when the F-14 is concerned and this will be a fun build no matter what :wave: . Hey, with enough subjects, and diverse markings, this group build could become some kind of "Scale Model Tomcat Squadron History"...or something like that.

Regards,

Don

I agree w/Don, I think the birds used in movies should count (Remember, VF-84 was used in Executive Decision befor they passed), I've got to have them to *Provide Air support for that rescue* and counteract the pair of MiG-28's lurking somewhere in my skies....... :lol:

IF the birds from TG count, then I'm currently up for both sqns plus a NFWS bird (as if I 've got time :wave: ), but I must confess, I've got a set of VF-191 decals that need to be used! ;)

Ves :woo:

If it was applied to an operational F-14, then it's fine. I'm just concerned about getting hypothetical schemes that never really existed. The reason behind this is that I want the GB to be a fitting send-off to the Tomcat, and I think that actual aircraft should be represented. There are all kinds of one-off schemes that were applied to actual Tomcats, such as the Ferris Scheme, Agressor schemes, a couple of different Iranian schemes, and IIRC, there was one actually painted up for the USAF (I believe that there might be a picture in the Squadron walkaround book).

Also, I like the idea of getting as many different squadrons represented as possible. I'm not really sure if I'll have the time to organize it in this way, but if you guys want to figure some way of coordinating this among yourselves, that's absolutely fine as well. I'm a die hard Jolly Rogers junkie, but I like the idea of diversity, and representing as many squadrons, past and present, as possible.

Hopefully this will clear up the confusion here. ;)

I have the picture of that USAF Tomcat in one of my books and it looks like a full size mockup rather then actual flight hardware (the Phoenix pylons looked, well...."odd"). Still, it might be nice to see a model of it.

• 1 month later...