1/144 Roden C-119C (IN-BOX REVIEW)

I am doing a quick and informal in box review of the Roden C-119C which was just recently released. This is a nice kit which there hasnt been too much buzz on the internet recently. I know it isnt a new 1/48 Luftwaffe release but this is a very nice kit of an important post-1945 transport aircraft. I wont get into the history but it served in a few wars and few airforces over the years (Korea Both Vietnam wars -French & American etc...)!

This is the first kit I am aware of in 1/144 of the C-119. There has been the 1/72 Italeri kit (raised panel line) and that was nice and is becoming hard to find and I believe there was an old Aurora box scale kit of this type which I am sure is even rarer than the Italeri kit. Well this seems to be the first modern tool (engraved) panel line kit of this type. IT is a nicely detailed kit typical of the Roden standard we have come to expect from their respective past releases in their stable of goodies. The parts are nicely molded and with a preliminary test fit match up well. The only slight criticism I have is the grainy texture of the plastic they use which may need an extra coat of prime to hide for a natural metal finish. The decals & clear parts a nice and the box art is a sharp piece. An overall nice package. I noticed in the tooling that we could see other variants including the anticipated AC-119K "Stinger"....which I am sure Roden will probably release if this kit sells well!

Your Humble Styrene Servant,

Steven J Corvi

disclaimer (LOL)Theses are my humble opinions and informed speculation and in no way reflect the opinions of Roden or ARC. {sorry fro crappy photos-hope to get a better camera some day]

DSCN2976_zpse506e466.jpg

DSCN2978_zps6959060c.jpg

DSCN2981_zps402dabf3.jpg

DSCN2980_zpsd487be42.jpg

DSCN2979_zps200b736c.jpg

DSCN2982_zps15e28de2.jpg

DSCN2983_zps5e62ec70.jpg

Looks nice. Hopefully they will put out a C-119G boxing so I can do one up in RCAF markings.

One thing I noticed is that the engine parts show 9 cylinders on the front bank which indicates an R-3350 engine. The C-119C had the R-4360 which only had 7 cylinders per bank. I wonder if this kit is more of a 'G' than a 'C' version? The prop blades look large enough to be for a 'G' as well.

Now all I need is for someone to make RCAF decals for this kit.

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104
  • 4 weeks later...

From the look of the sprues, there's the parts to make a AC-119K Stinger! One of my all-time favorite A/C's!!! Just going to have to fudge the decals...

Thanks for the pix!

MattP

Edited by MattP

I believe there is also a nose-wheel difference? I have the original Italeri releases and intended to do a French-operated Dien-Bien-Phu example, but discovered that there were a number of other differences so the idea stalled. Italeri have since released an early version but I've no idea how that has been changed.