Well here is a funny one. I was indtalling the mlg doors and was quite disapointed about the fit... so after some scaping sanding and brute force i got the to fit almost flush... but then i saw a pic today showing the these doors are not fully closed when the gear is down... DOH!!

But on the positive side im almost at the painting stage :)/>

:rofl:

Sorry, Neo... I feel your pain! It's frustrating when you don't know that you're actually doing something counter to the aircraft itself. The doors sit partially closed, due to the struts that link to the landing gear. Any more progress?

ALF

:rofl:/>

Sorry, Neo... I feel your pain! It's frustrating when you don't know that you're actually doing something counter to the aircraft itself. The doors sit partially closed, due to the struts that link to the landing gear. Any more progress?

ALF

your laughing but i was thinking why the hell does that door hit the struts ppl say this kit is a great fit :deadhorse1: OH the problem is 18 inches from the desk :doh:

you live you learn! now i neat trick i learned is that if you place the said model on the lower shelf of the display case no one will see the underneath [insert evil laugh :gr_devil: ]

Ok back on topic.

i did manage to paint the burner Alclad stainless steel the used the rest in my airbrush to paint the intakes the intakes. im finishing up the HUD and the windscreen and front rear separators should be on tonight.

Pics soon

• 3 weeks later...

You're a raffle winner! Please PM me you email address so I can get your gift certificate sent out!

V/r

Ron

Pm Sent

thanks a million!

i really have to get back to painting this guy!

hey guys got some booth time!

painted the under side with humbrol 129 (flat gull gray). instuction called out 128 (US Compass Grey) but most of the reference pics ive seen seamed to have a light underside. and its also easier to go darker later then the other way around!

DSC_0381%20%281024x683%29.jpg?dl=0

Next up is masking

should be fun

Cheers

Neo

Neo

That colour works. The true colour is a silvery grey (looks a bit like a metallic light grey mixed with silver). There's a good thread discussing this subject here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=269319

I think your choice is good. At one point soon I'll be doing a Luftwaffe F-104G; probably my next 1/48 will be that.

Thanks for the e-mail about the spray booth. I'm slowly digesting it and thinking about how it works; I'll respond in a few days.

ALF

Sorry that I jump in that late but the GAF starfighter is really silver /very silverish on the underside.

It is RAL 9006 "weißaluminium", best recommended paint for modellers comes from Xtracolor, no. X252.

Later I would spray flat clear cote because it looks the best due to the real plane and especially due to the scale effect.

Only Norm 62 birds have a shiny white aluminium underside (I refer to DACO decal instructions).

BTW. if you want to add underwing tanks, they are now available from CMK resin from cech republik. The "4-tanker" was very common in GAF that time.

Edited by tobiK
  • 3 weeks later...

Neo

That colour works. The true colour is a silvery grey (looks a bit like a metallic light grey mixed with silver). There's a good thread discussing this subject here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=269319

I think your choice is good. At one point soon I'll be doing a Luftwaffe F-104G; probably my next 1/48 will be that.

Thanks for the e-mail about the spray booth. I'm slowly digesting it and thinking about how it works; I'll respond in a few days.

ALF

Thanks ALF

thats a cool link man that RC 104 looks HOT

Sorry that I jump in that late but the GAF starfighter is really silver /very silverish on the underside.

It is RAL 9006 "weißaluminium", best recommended paint for modellers comes from Xtracolor, no. X252.

Later I would spray flat clear cote because it looks the best due to the real plane and especially due to the scale effect.

Only Norm 62 birds have a shiny white aluminium underside (I refer to DACO decal instructions).

BTW. if you want to add underwing tanks, they are now available from CMK resin from cech republik. The "4-tanker" was very common in GAF that time.

Thanks for the info Tobik. i plan on a gloss coat for decals then a Alclad semi-matte coat for the finish.

now since both of you mentioned the silverish finish... i might have an evil plan. im thinking of dry bushing some silver onto the underside kinda what i normally do in cockpits but it might just bring out that metallic that you guys refer to .

Has for updates i have sprayed the top coat gray and masked off ready for the green.

here is how she looks now

20141220_215247.jpg?dl=0

thanks for your support

Cheers

Neo

***EDIT***

I just want to add WIP threads are so usefull and fun when building models, fist you get tons of great tips and infos but and also you get to review you work. after posting this readin back my post i noticed that i forgot to mask the top part of the tail witch would have caused tons of work to fix once i had spayed the green...

i really have to say : thanks for being there guys.

Edited by Neo
  • 2 weeks later...

little update

nose cone painted and pitot intalled

DSC_0577%20%281024x618%29.jpg?dl=0

ive also painted the tanks. i primed with white first just to make sure the orange would not get affected by the 2 different camo colors

DSC_0578%20%281024x683%29.jpg?dl=0

Hope you like it

Great idea to prime with white for those tip tanks. I'm sure there would have been two different shades if you hadn't. Nice paint job so far - must be the paint booth! :woot.gif:

Thanks for the job you did selling the paint booth idea when you came to visit last week. SWMBO is now convinced. :thumbsup:

Also, great work in getting the new GBs up and running, despite how busy you were over the holidays.

Happy New Year!

ALF

Hey Alf

Im glad i could be of service to convince your better half on the booth!

First coat of future is on and i started to apply decals.

Pics soon

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Alright here are some progress pics!

decals are done! (just the red stripe on the pitot is left)

next up is a clar coat to get some weathering on this baby!

DSC_0602%20%281024x633%29.jpg?dl=0

DSC_0604%20%281024x633%29.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Neo
  • 2 weeks later...

Well i juat finished a panel wash. Going to spay some alclad semi gloss over it then i got to finish up the seats with im really not happy about my paint job

OK got some pics

First off the seats, this is where im at and ill need to improve them before putting them in

DSC_0641-1%20%281024x683%29.jpg?dl=0

and here is the beast!

I must say im really satisfied with the result

ever since i change my lights to LED im having a really hard time taking picture, look like im going to have to read up on taking better pic and maybe getting some camera lights too

DSC_0649-5%20%281024x683%29.jpg?dl=0

DSC_0646-3%20%281024x683%29.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for looking

Edited by Neo

Yeah....that's a 'horrible' paint job! :tongue-in-cheek: I agree with our learned friend and find that the wash is just a bit overdone but the underlying camo and overall paint job looks great. Very nicely done, Neo. Good job. :thumbsup:

Mike

Hi guys thanks for the kind comments. the pannel wash is a bit heavy on the intake region but it look more prononced in the pics than real life.

I scratch built some ejection handles using wire and my soldering iron. They got some wellow paint today ill post pics once installed. Also painted the small angle of attack parts and nose antenas. Only have to install those then dry brush the bang seats and im done.

Any tips on how to install those canopies in the open positions would be appreciated. Time is running out for the GB i better get this done asap

Cheers Neo

Hi guys thanks for the kind comments. the pannel wash is a bit heavy on the intake region but it look more prononced in the pics than real life.

Any tips on how to install those canopies in the open positions would be appreciated. Time is running out for the GB i better get this done asap

Cheers Neo

Neo

For the 104, I use paint bottles or decal solution bottles as props to hold the canopies in place while they dry.

P1220712_zps7a30cb7b.jpg

ALF