Just opened the box. Looking forward to a big kit of one of my favorite subjects.

IMG_20140924_222854_261.jpg

IMG_20140924_223021_922.jpg

IMG_20140924_223152_199.jpg

Can't decide which scheme to do of the 10 provided. Not really feeling like a 1/32 bare metal job. I've done two Hasegawa 1/48 F-104's in German colors in recent years so I should probably mix it up....

Kinda leaning toward the Belgian one:

48-HN-Ac-Italeri-F-104GS-Starfighter-1.32.jpg

Or maybe the Greek:

46-HN-Ac-Italeri-F-104GS-Starfighter-1.32.jpg

@Pete: Yeah I'm leaning that way. Has a few more red decals and I like the black nose cone too.

Just realized that I had my Star and Fish next to each other in the display case previous to the start of the GB. Weird.

IMG_20140926_151014_037.jpg

And yes...the Mig lost it's canopy. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a replacement vacuform for a 1/72. If anybody in the group build has an extra, please PM me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Starfighter is on the backburner while I finish up a super tricky build over in the Great War GB.

Tempted to rethink the Greek and go with a NASA bird.

Maybe not a great idea, though - this is the wrong model of Starfighter for that. The Italeri kit is a G or S; the NASA bird in that decal set is an A or C (rudder is significantly shorter, as well as other differences).

ALF

@Alf - Isn't the white and blue NASA plane (the one lost in the XB-70 crash) essentially a "G" ?

Going from this website

I stand corrected. Now that you mention it, I have seen the video of that collision, and I seem to recall the longer rudder on it. I was just going by the illustrations on the decal sheet. Would you believe (in my best Maxwell Smart imitation) I was just checking to see if you had done your research? :woot.gif:

Nope. Me neither! Carry on as if I hadn't said anything. I think the NASA scheme would look cool in this scale.

ALF

• 1 month later...

Test fitting before closing her up:

IMG_20150125_240129_810.jpg

Quick shadow wash with thinned Payne's Gray:

IMG_20150125_121953_054.jpg

One last test fit:

IMG_20150125_144025_039.jpg

The shadow wash helped the engine and I think I will keep it separate.

IMG_20150127_082131_737.jpg

IMG_20150127_082306_553.jpg

The kit comes with dollies for the tail section and the engine. I think I'll still fix the tail section to the main fuselage but make both dollies.

Closed up! Wings are just dry fit at this point.

IMG_20150127_082202_227.jpg

IMG_20150127_082239_243.jpg

Edited by nickdanger

Wings are on, canopies are masked:

IMG_20150205_213023_118.jpg

Tail section is cemented on:

IMG_20150205_213614_923.jpg

Just need to add the nose cone, tape off the front landing gear bay, mask the landing and formation lights and I should be good to paint.

Looking forward to putting some color on that plane.

Think I'll leave the nose cone off to guard against accidents.

Have you thought of adding weight inside the nose cone? I built my first one of these kits recently, and found that it definitely needed some weight in the nose, with the engine assembly being fairly heavy and far aft.

ALF

Have you thought of adding weight inside the nose cone?

ALF

I'm going to keep the engine separate and on the dolly but keep the tail section cemented on. I like the lines of the Starfighter too much to break it up by keeping the tail off and the engine is nice enough to display on it's own.

So without the engine it's a nose sitter - didn't have to add weight at all.

I'll double check before putting on the nosecone, but I don;t think I'll need to.

I'm going to keep the engine separate and on the dolly but keep the tail section cemented on. I like the lines of the Starfighter too much to break it up by keeping the tail off and the engine is nice enough to display on it's own.

So without the engine it's a nose sitter - didn't have to add weight at all.

I'll double check before putting on the nosecone, but I don;t think I'll need to.

Roger that, Nick

I'd forgotten you were planning to leave the engine out. Just like other Starfighter models, it should be OK without a heavy engine in the back end, even with the horizontal stab installed.

ALF