I will be building a MiG-21bis, in Croatian AF markings, like this. I'm using the Zvezda kit, and I have ordered decals from Balkan Models, and a new pitot tube from Master Model. A resin seat from True Details will also be used.

So far, I have painted the cockpit bits in that lovely green/blue color, and added some black on dials and panels.

P9263992_zpse1c074df.jpg

As you can see, the kit's pitot tube isn't that great:

P9263995_zps3174cc71.jpg

And the resin seat:

P9263994_zps56521173.jpg

Next up, adding some color to the cockpit bits, like switches and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Done with the cockpit, working on the other bits that go in the fuselage before I close it up:

PA044000_zps7d36456e.jpg

Decals and pitot arrived in the mail. The decals look excellent, with clear instructions and good colour callouts. That pitot tube is going to be a challenge, with those small PE vanes. :D

PA044008_zps578ba4d5.jpg

Pete, looking great!

I'll be interested in seeing how you do the pitot tube. While the Academy kit comes with a similar contraption, yours is a wee bit smaller...

Yes, that pitot looks interesting -I think there are very tiny holes in the surface and very tiny locating pins on the vanes, so you're not quite alone in a room with a pack of butt-joins. Still challenging, though. I have one of those and a 1/72 M61 A1 to fix before my eyesight gives out completely...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

@ David: That pitot is a bit pointy, yes. And this is just the rear part. I won't put on the front untill I'm almost done.

@ Ron: I agree, Zvezda really did a nice job on this one.

Anyway, more paint!

I used Revell 64 for the lighter green. This colour only came with some US colorset they issued a couple years ago, and was never added to their normal range for some reason. The darker green is ModelMaster 1764. As you can see, the grey paint doesn't stick very well to the model. I will have to touch that up.

PA204050_zpsf716b8bf.jpg

Good to hear from someone who knows these jets a bit better than me that I picked the right colors of green.

I resprayed the grey, this time using Humbrol 27, with a drop of red. I coated it with some future for protection so it looks a bit dark now.

PA224053_zps88491604.jpg

Next up is the bottom and the anti glare panel.

Good to hear from someone who knows these jets a bit better than me that I picked the right colors of green.

This is my photo of 116 MiG-21BisD during 91st AFB Pleso Open Day in 2011. So, yes I think you nailed it!

P5260979_2.jpg

Cool beans. I believe the surviving ones are now all in the grey scheme?

Got more paint on it. I painted the bottom with Revell 55 and the anti glare panel with Tamiya's flat black.

PA234054_zpsf2e84cd7.jpg

PA234055_zpsa6207452.jpg

It did. Untill I started putting decals on it...

PA254056_zpsbac0c550.jpg

PA254059_zps7f2339e6.jpg

(Yes, I know I forgot a vent, I will add that)

The roundel is too small, the blue color is too dark and the red squares are too large in relation to the blue circle. Also the shield on the tail is not very accurate. There should be a small white line around it and the small bits in the crown aren't that good.

Compare with this one, for instance: Link

Someone offered me a set of El Presidente decals that look better. I think I will use those instead.

All in all I'm pretty annoyed by this :explode:/>

Edited by Pete