Academy MH 60 S Helicopter 1/35 scale/

Been away from the board for a while. Oliver, you are an "Evergreen Geometry Master"! The things that you do with bits, strips and tubing are INCREDIBLE! Every photo that you post is better than the previous one. It is fascinating and motivating to follow your builds! Even the most engineeringly challenged(me) can learn from your steps and adapt them to our models to improve our techniques. Thank you for sharing your steps! :thumbsup:

David

Been away from the board for a while. Oliver, you are an "Evergreen Geometry Master"! The things that you do with bits, strips and tubing are INCREDIBLE! Every photo that you post is better than the previous one. It is fascinating and motivating to follow your builds! Even the most engineeringly challenged(me) can learn from your steps and adapt them to our models to improve our techniques. Thank you for sharing your steps! :thumbsup:/>

David

David.

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Glad u enjoy the builds and the update.

Oliver

20141214_141535_zpsb9e55c4e.jpg

The use of M134 miniguns is interesting. I have not seen any MH-60S use them. They are either unarmed, or mount M240 7.62mm MGs in the gunners' windows and .50 cals on the unique Navy mount, shown in an earlier post in this thread, in the cargo doors.

5441117707_837c9636a5_z.jpg

Also, if you mount the ammo cans where you have them, the gunners can't stand in the windows to fire the guns. They should be side by side along the center-line of the aircraft.

Edited by HeavyArty

Excellent job on the model,can't imagine what else you've got planned for it

Don't suppose you'd be interested in casting the roof part for a price

Greg

Greg.

Standby on the roof....things are happening.

Edited by Rotorman

Excellent job on the model,can't imagine what else you've got planned for it

Don't suppose you'd be interested in casting the roof part for a price

Greg

Greg - no offense to Rotorman, but his roof looks nothing like an actual H-60 roof. I wouldn't copy it if I were you. Check out this thread to see what they actually look like. There are plans there to build an accurate exposed roof as well.

Edited by HeavyArty

Oliver,

Couldn't you use those ammo cans with M240's as well?

Ray

They are 7.62mm ammo cans, but M240s use small 7.62mm cans attached to the guns. They are not belt fed.

sea_hawk_on_deckg.jpg

Blackhawk_door_gun.jpg

Even if they could be used, they would still be in the way.

Edited by HeavyArty

Hey-

Just a few comments on the guns. I have access to the flight manuals for the MH-60S as part of my job. The MH-60S is not authorized to use miniguns at this time (BTW, miniguns are GAU-17's in the Navy). I expect it will be cleared for use at some point in the future, but not at the moment. As HeavyArty noted, the only guns are M240s in the windows and GAU-21s in the cabin doors. Also as noted, the M240s use ammo cans that attach to the guns and there is a small square rack behind the cockpit center console on the a/c centerline to store extra ammo cans.

I hope this is helpful.

Phil

Hey-

Just a few comments on the guns. I have access to the flight manuals for the MH-60S as part of my job. The MH-60S is not authorized to use miniguns at this time (BTW, miniguns are GAU-17's in the Navy). I expect it will be cleared for use at some point in the future, but not at the moment. As HeavyArty noted, the only guns are M240s in the windows and GAU-21s in the cabin doors. Also as noted, the M240s use ammo cans that attach to the guns and there is a small square rack behind the cockpit center console on the a/c centerline to store extra ammo cans.

I hope this is helpful.

Phil

Hi Phil.

Thanks for the info.

Oliver

First off, I have never did a helicopter model, but looking at your work Oliver, I will try one. Second thing, its a model! What ever how accurate the ceiling is or what guns you want to put in the model, it is up to you. I saw your wip on the huey that you built and that is the most beautiful thing I have seen a modeler do! And from what i witnessed, the huey is very accurate. So if the ceiling isn't accurate or the guns arent used in a certain type of helos, that is up you, because it is just a model! Just keep doing the work that you are doing, because that made a airplane modeller start to get into helicopters. Keep up the fantastic work!

First off, I have never did a helicopter model, but looking at your work Oliver, I will try one. Second thing, its a model! What ever how accurate the ceiling is or what guns you want to put in the model, it is up to you. I saw your wip on the huey that you built and that is the most beautiful thing I have seen a modeler do! And from what i witnessed, the huey is very accurate. So if the ceiling isn't accurate or the guns arent used in a certain type of helos, that is up you, because it is just a model! Just keep doing the work that you are doing, because that made a airplane modeller start to get into helicopters. Keep up the fantastic work!

Rich,

Thanks for the nice comment.

first off, you crossed over to the dark side of helicopter building....lol. I used to be an airplane builder myself.

This is exactly how i feel about my builds...its a model after all however people can always be entitled to their opinion.

Richard, don't take my and others comments as bashing Oliver and his builds. He does great work. We are only providing information for all who read the posts on accuracy and actual helos. Like you say, it is just a model and he or anyone else can build it how they like. Some of us see our models as miniatures of actual aircraft and try to build them as accurate as possible as a tribute to those who fly them and operate out of them. As such, we provide info on the forums for others who wish to do the same. No one is demanding Oliver or anyone else changes their models based on this info, we are just putting it out there for anyone who wants to use it. Everyone builds for different reasons and to differing levels of accuracy. To each their own.

Edited by HeavyArty

Richard, don't take my and others comments as bashing Oliver and his builds. He does great work. We are only providing information for all who read the posts on accuracy and actual helos. Like you say, it is just a model and he or anyone else can build it how they like. Some of us see our models as miniatures of actual aircraft and try to build them as accurate as possible as a tribute to those who fly them and operate out of them. As such, we provide info on the forums for others who wish to do the same. No one is demanding Oliver or anyone else changes their models based on this info, we are just putting it out there for anyone who wants to use it. Everyone builds for different reasons and to differing levels of accuracy. To each their own.

Hey-

Concur with the above.

Since this is Rotorman's thread, I would move any future comments I may have about accuracy to the MH-60R/S Research topic if he wishes.

Phil