Academy MH 60 S Helicopter 1/35 scale/

I believe HeavyArty has a different approach to the hobby whereby absolute accuracy to the real helicopter is the most important thing. I tried to be as accurate as possible when I built my OH-6D. I am quite proud of some of the details on that model and I cringe when I look at some of the other details that I didn't get right. I will strive to try harder the next time with my next model. I think HeavyArty fully appreciates Oliver's considerable talent as a modeller and is possibly frustrated that his skills are not being used to build a model that is 100% faithful to the real MH-60. Oliver, keep up the great work on this model and HeavyArty, maybe give this build a miss, but post up your next build. Your models of the H-60 were quite impressive and similar builds would be very welcome here.

LD.

You are quite correct that HeavyArty has a passion for accuracy....which is a good thing if it brings him pleasure......we all enjoy the hobby in different ways. Modellers such as HeavyArty are a valuable asset at helping others modellers get all those tiny details correct. I love to build my models as accurately as possible....partly because I lack a more artistic carefree side but mostly because I'm terrified of other peoples opinions regarding the accuracy of my models. I will often not build a model out of fear of it being not accurate enough for others....which is pretty sad. The main thing we have to remember is to respect each other and let each modeller build his models how he chooses. It's all about lightening up and taking a deep breath and enjoying the hobby how we choose and letting others enjoy the hobby how they choose. This is a hobby that involves a passion for the stories of history.....love of all things mechanical and the ability to use Artists tools like airbrushes to pull it all together.

I admire modellers that use every bit of their skill to make a model 110% accurate. I also admire a modeller that lets his imagination go wild with his latest what-if creation. If they are building a model....then they deserve to be admired....far too few of us don't build because of various reasons...myself included. The builders are the ones keeping this hobby alive and moving it forward.

My apologies to HeavyArty and others if I came across as being too heavy handed....somewhere there has to be a balance and most times finding that balance escapes me.

I'll finsih with a quote that I love quite a bit...."Can't we all just get along?" :cheers:/>

Be well everyone.

OH MY GOD.....we are at this again??!!!

The reason why I started posting my build (DAP Black Hawk) on ARC is because of Oliver Huey build. Now I am getting use to helicopters and all the parts that are involved in a model. But when I looked at that model and the stuff that he does with brass, I have never seen that type of modeling before. Because I didn't know about Huey's and even helicopter, I may have been ignorant on what I was looking at and I couldn't tell you what was accurate or not. But the build blew my mind. Then I reached out to Oliver and we had a talk on the phone and he was VERY, VERY helpful with me and my airbrushing and the color pallete and he made me look at colors a different way. He has nothing but good things to say about my Black Hawk, but when he gave me advice, he did in a way that didn't criticize me, he just wanted to help.

On Heavyarty. I have nothing but good things to say about Heavyarty, because he has been a living dictionary on my builds as well. He has seen some of the things that I was doing and made posts on whether something is right or wrong, but not in a criticizing way, he just wanted me to know. I often ask Heavyarty if a part is wrong or not because I know that I will get the right answer.

Now I don't know what you guys have against each other (Oliver and Gino) but is has to stop, please. Half of this build is about whether something is accurate or not and to be honest, it is getting old. Oliver will do the model the way that he wants to do it, accurate or not. Until somebody buys his paint and his kits, he is able to build whatever he wants to accurate or not. At the beginning of this build of the MH-60S, he said that this was not a accurate build. Once again.....this is not a accurate build. So I will stay my quote that I say to my kids when they get on my nerves, I look at them with a stern look and they know that looks mean...."CUT....THAT....SH&%....OUT!!!"

This is the last time I will mention this in this build, I think Oliver takes the time to do creative stuff with his scratch building and the things that he does with a kit. Gino is all about accuracy, there is nothing wrong with that, but I think that this is getting old. Keep up with this build Oliver because it is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned, accurate or not.

Just sayin'

Richard

Oliver:

Thank you for re-opening your build on this forum. I look forward to seeing your progress, and am inspired by your considerable skills. Please continue to take the time to post your progress-I am comfortable saying that I am not alone in looking to your fine work for inspiration. I am gratified to see the support for your efforts, and your defense by other modelers, as well as Steve himself (who sounds like he has his priorities FIRMLY in proper order IMHO). I will echo others in saying that I have tremendous respect for your abilities as well as Gino's level of knowledge. It is truly unfortunate that he chose to persist in his criticism after it was clear that it was not welcome. I hope that he is able to put aside whatever animosity he feels, and continues to assist others in their efforts in a more honorable manner.

All the best-can't wait to see this done, so you can get back to your SuperFrelon!

Marc

Edited by Newf36

Gentlemen.

Thanks so much for all of your support.

Lets all move forward and put the past behind us and enjoy again this great hobby of ours.

Oliver

Hear...hear. Let's push on.

Richard

Gentlemen.

Lets all move forward and put the past behind us and enjoy again this great hobby of ours.

Oliver

Yes...I fully agree.....life is much too short to have bad feelings.

Oliver, your building is mind blowing to me. I'm asking my wife for a helicopter kit for Christmas because of your builds.

Falcon,

Welcome to helicopter building, What helo do you have in mind and in what scale?

Oliver

Edited by Rotorman

Hi

Great kit. Looking for the French Navy version to come out soon I hope. I will be watching your build. Very few Coast guard helos these days on modeling site. I recall a beautiful jayhawk from infofrog.

20150624_152546_zpsrquenqmy.jpg

20150624_153104_zpsajh0pcfe.jpg

Still need to build the folding mechanism and wires....then do the other side

This is a model you're building, correct blink.gif ?

Because man; It sure looks like you're building a miniature fully functioning version of the real thing biggrin.gif !

The detail is out of this world!

Beautiful work you're doing there 271.gif .

Edited by Check Six

Gentlemen.

Oliver

I have to admit I was in heavyArty's shoes once. A Militant rivet counter.

Since I don't know heavyArty I'll assume he had good/genuine intentions and is an upstanding modeler/guy.

When I noticed myself irritating my buddy/fellow modeler about the accuracy of painting a Navy SEAL figure, I did an honest self-eval of myself regarding modeling.

I came to the conclusion that's along the lines of human interaction: Pick your battles. Modeling is done for it's enjoyment unless you work for an a/c design and manufacturing company. I'm proud to say that I'm a recovering rivet counter whose taken to the motto 'It's good enough' when building an accurate model. Maybe it's age that has matured me but, as already stated, life is too short for dealing with unnecessary stress'. I make an attempt at accuracy and then proclaim, "Meh; That's good enough!"

Unless my buddy specifically asks for an accuracy opinion, I just praise him on his build progress. And without exaggerating, his his building skills is right up there with Shep. Paine. The dude is not only a modeler, but also a multi-media artist.

Oliver:

Thanks for re-starting this thread. I get a real kick out of your painting and scratch-building skills, and am gratified that you are back on this forum instructing and inspiring us. I'll echo Tim's remarks that the quality of your modeling is on par with Shep Paine's. There's a fella from Belgium that could learn a thing or 2 from you as well, methinks. Keep up the great work and enjoy your builds your way.

Marc

Rich

A fellow modeler at our club makes them really cheap.

Nice work nice wood...u want that guys number?

I just joined a model club called the "Red Flag scale modellers." Does your club have a facebook page or a website? I would like to see more about the club.

Richard