Academy MH 60 S Helicopter 1/35 scale/

Help,

What color is the Main fuselage  as well as the  main and tail rotor rotor blades on the Seahawk/knighthawk. I am finding a variation of colors and I am at loss on proper US Navy paint color. Thanks

Oliver

The Academy instructions and USN painting guides call for the aircraft to be painted in a 3-color standard USN gray camo scheme of Medium Gray (FS35237) upper surfaces, Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320) for the main fuselage, and Light Gray (FS36495) for the underside. However, actual photos of aircraft look to have a 2-color camo scheme of Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320) for the entire fuselage (including upper surfaces), and Light Gray (FS36495) for the underside. I used the two colors on mine as I could not decide whether the upper color simply faded to blend with the main fuselage color, or if the upper color was not present. 

There are definitely three colors.

Here is a bottom view showing FS36495.

Hp5oW18.jpg

Here are a couple views of the top showing FS35237. You can see the demarcation line from FS35237 to FS36320.

R9HgE6P.jpg

msVW4vG.jpg

2 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

The Academy instructions and USN painting guides call for the aircraft to be painted in a 3-color standard USN gray camo scheme of Medium Gray (FS35237) upper surfaces, Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320) for the main fuselage, and Light Gray (FS36495) for the underside. However, actual photos of aircraft look to have a 2-color camo scheme of Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320) for the entire fuselage (including upper surfaces), and Light Gray (FS36495) for the underside. I used the two colors on mine as I could not decide whether the upper color simply faded to blend with the main fuselage color, or if the upper color was not present. 

Thanks Gino for the info. I will take a look at your build to see how you have done it.  I was confused by the instructions on the paint guide. Blades are  dark ghost gray then??

Oliver

Edited by Rotorman
1 hour ago, twong said:

There are definitely three colors.

Not so obvious on the one I was building (610), not that I could see anyways.  I went w/the two colors as stated above and it looks just like all the reference pics I had of it.

mh-60s_610_2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Rotorman said:

Blades are  dark ghost gray then??

Yes.

53 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Not so obvious on the one I was building (610), not that I could see anyways.  I went w/the two colors as stated above and it looks just like all the reference pics I had of it.

This photo shows the top color darker. Look at the difference in color between the two arrows. You can follow the darker line to the front of the housing where it meets the top cabin windows.

xCHv26S.jpg

The nose is also painted in FS35237 as seen in this photo of an MH-60R. You can see the ALQ/ESM is a lighter color than the nose.

5hb7R7O.jpg

This SH-60B also shows the different top color. Note that the ALQ/ESM is a lighter color than the nose.

UHKud8R.jpg

An MH-60S showing the darker color on the top housing and nose. The darker FS35237 on the nose ends at the avionics bay panel line and the lighter FS36320 is just under it. You can also see the much lighter FS36495 on the bottom of the MH-60S in the background.

9oGRIY6.jpg

You can see the FS35237 on this HH-60H.

acqDqd6.jpg

Another MH-60R showing the darker FS35237.

2tsHsdp.jpg

And another MH-60S.

R5RQfFN.jpg

16 minutes ago, twong said:

This photo shows the top color darker. Look at the difference in color between the two arrows. You can follow the darker line to the front of the housing where it meets the top cabin windows.

xCHv26S.jpg

The nose is also painted in FS35237 as seen in this photo of an MH-60R. You can see the ALQ/ESM is a lighter color than the nose.

5hb7R7O.jpg

This SH-60B also shows the different top color. Note that the ALQ/ESM is a lighter color than the nose.

UHKud8R.jpg

An MH-60S showing the darker color on the top housing and nose. The darker FS35237 on the nose ends at the avionics bay panel line and the lighter FS36320 is just under it. You can also see the much lighter FS36495 on the bottom of the MH-60S in the background.

9oGRIY6.jpg

You can see the FS35237 on this HH-60H.

acqDqd6.jpg

Another MH-60R showing the darker FS35237.

2tsHsdp.jpg

And another MH-60S.

R5RQfFN.jpg

where do u find all the photos..Navy site?  thanks for the research info.

15 hours ago, twong said:

This photo shows the top color darker. Look at the difference in color between the two arrows. You can follow the darker line to the front of the housing where it meets the top cabin windows....

I didn't say the three-color scheme wasn't correct, just that on pics of the helo I was building I couldn't see a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to use stryrene pieces and a large amount of superglue to fix the tail gaps. The parts in the kit to make the tail into an S version dont fit all that well.  Still need to rescribe rivets . I just bought Hataka paint....Anyone used them before?

20181028_164829_zpsqukb8tgv.jpg

20181028_152424_zpszohrfceq.jpg

20181028_152633_001_zpsiartjywi.jpg

20181028_163850_zps7cdcmpi1.jpg

20181021_170426_zps6przzza0.jpg

Edited by Rotorman

Well, I applied the decals from the kit on top of the blades but that did not go well. ..they just did not want to lay down flat. I tried all my decal products to soften but no go. Film is too thick. I decided to sand them down  since the corners of the decals were lifting and it looked awfulI. I dropped  the main rotor with the folded blades on the ground while sanding ....it broke in several pieces including all the small details on top of rotor head ....not a good modeling day. ....yep i am pissed.  So either i redo it all from scratch and use the folding set from Shapeways or i dont fold the blades. i huge set back for sure but modeling without issues would not be modeling. 

Oliver

On 11/24/2018 at 10:12 PM, Rotorman said:

Well, I applied the decals from the kit on top of the blades but that did not go well. ..they just did not want to lay down flat. I tried all my decal products to soften but no go. Film is too thick. I decided to sand them down  since the corners of the decals were lifting and it looked awfulI. I dropped  the main rotor with the folded blades on the ground while sanding ....it broke in several pieces including all the small details on top of rotor head ....not a good modeling day. ....yep i am pissed.  So either i redo it all from scratch and use the folding set from Shapeways or i dont fold the blades. i huge set back for sure but modeling without issues would not be modeling. 

Oliver

Oliver,

Rework always exists in modeling.
Do not be shocked by this problem. For me, this always happens! I even got used to it. One of the premises I adopted is: if I have to do it again, it's going to have to get better than before. "
I'm a fan of your montages! You teach a lot with your whims and details!

[]s

• 2 weeks later...